2 Peter commentary recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

timfost

Puritan Board Senior
Hi all,

I was asked to preach or July 28 and the text I chose is 2 Peter 1:5-11. As always, I really love hearing your recommendations on commentaries and would appreciate hearing your favorites.

Also, this is my first time preaching a sermon. Prayers are appreciated.

Thanks!

Ligonier ministries has an excellent list https://www.ligonier.org/blog/top-5-commentaries-on-the-books-of-2-Peter-and-jude/

The large volume by the Puritan Thomas Adams is certainly worth getting. Soli Deo Gloria reprinted it in 1990. There are numerous copies on bookfinder.com.

In addition to the ones mentioned (and Bauckham is essential, despite his reading of 2 Peter as non-Petrine), I would also recommend the commentaries of Schreiner and Moo.

This is a favorite text of mine and I wrote about it here: https://beliefspeak2.net/7-disciples/

45 years ago I memorized 2Pet. 1.1-21 temporarily. Temporarily since memorization always needs maintenance. Vss. 5-11 of ch. 1 I still try to recall most every day.

Anyway, while commentaries may offer insight, the reader needs to know the bible thoroughly first (perhaps you do). Other Christians have the Spirit too and that is where commentaries can be helpful. However, generally speaking, there is an over-reliance on expert opinion of minutia which may or may not be helpful for the task of teaching listeners everything profitable for them.

These are disciplines in 2Pet. 1.5-11 much like the book of Proverbs. Just think of all the regulations in the Torah, what is the purpose of Proverbs? These sections (Torah and Proverbs) are not in tension in any way yet the reader needs to understand and differentiate the types of instruction offered in both sections. Proverbs (and 2Pet.1.5-11) are disciplines of the covenanted person exercising their faith. At least, that's how I understand these disciplines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back