-

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit late to the scene of this discussion, but For what it's worth below is a very rough paper (if it can be called that) which I have kept updating over the years that might give some help understanding if not resolving the tension between the Warfield strict cessation view and the far more open view held by earlier Presbyterians. Apologies for the length.

Scottish Prophets?
Sources: George Gillespie, "œMiscelleany," Works: Presbyterian´s Armoury (1844-46). Whether these Prophets and Prophesyings in the Primitive church, 1 Cor. 14; 121:28; Eph. 4:11, were extraordinary, and so not to Continue"¦ 26-36.
Samuel Rutherfurd, Survey of Spiritual Antichrist, (London, 1648) 42-45.
James Durham, Commentary on Revelation, "œConcerning Prophesying" (many editions; see Old Paths 2000 edition).
Autobiography and Life of Robert Blair, edited by Thomas M´Crie (Wodrow Society, 1848). 97-98; 494.
Thomas M´Crie the younger, Story of the Scottish Church, 124
John Kennedy, The Days of Our Fathers in Ross-Shire, appendix, "œThe secret of the Lord. (4th edition, 1867).
The generation of the Second Reformation did not utter claims of prophecies without some of them at least identifying how these "œprophecies" were to be understood. Robert Blair experienced something on a minor scale of what is attributed to Knox, Welsh, and other Scots of later periods. From Life of Robert Blair:
"œIf any of my relations, reading these things, shall stumble, that both now and heretofore I have mentioned what hath been revealed to me of events to come, seeing revelations are now ceased, and we are to stick close to the revealed will of God in the Scriptures, for their satisfaction I answer as follows: That if an angel from heaven should reveal anything contrary to the Scriptures, or offer to add anything to that perfect rule of faith and manners, he ought to be accursed, and much more if any man on earth should offer to do the same. This accursed way of revelation we leave to Papists and other sectaries. But, in the meantime, it ought not to be denied that the Lord is pleased sometimes, to his servants, especially in a suffering condition, to reveal some events concerning themselves and that part of the Church of God wherein they live; innumberable examples whereof might be produced, and not a few within this same land; as to the blessed martyr Wishart, Mr. Knox, Mr. Davidson, Mr. Welsh, and Mr. Patrick Simson of Stirling. This I write under protestation that I compare not myself with these I have now mentioned."
He comments very briefly on this again on his death bed and utters a "˜prophecy´ concerning the traitor Archb. Sharp. (494).
"œAfter he had very Christianly, gravely and solemnly blessed his wife and all his children, speaking to them severally, commending or admonishing them as he judged expedient; his eldest son that was then alive said to him, "˜The worst and best of men have their first and second thoughts, they have their thoughts and after thoughts. Now, sir, God has given you time for your after thoughts of your way and carriage in the world, and we would hear what are now your after-thoughts.´ To whom he said, "˜I have again and again thought upon my ways, and communed with my heart, and as for my public actings and carriage, in reference to the Lord´s work, if I begin again, I would just do as I have done.´ Thereafter his son said, "˜Now, sir, hen the Lord is to remove you from us, though we have often heard you express yourself in reference to the Lord´s work and his people, we desire to hear of you what are now your hopes of the Lord´s reviving his work and delivering his people?´ To whom he said, "˜David, you know that I never pretended to a spirit of prophecy, though this I will say, that the Lord hath revealed much of his mind and will concerning myself and near relations to me, and I have foretold somethings concerning myself and my nearest relations; but as touching the certainty of the thing, I mean the reviving of the Lord´s work, and thereby the delivering of his people, I have no doubt of it, though I cannot say that the set time is come, yea, I doubt not but the Lord will (and with the next three words he lifted up his right hand) rub, rub, rub, still lifting up his hand higher and higher, and then brings it down with a thump), shame upon Sharp and all his complices.´ He often repeated the words of the twenty-third psalm, especially ver. 4. One time he repeated the whole seventy-first psalm, which he used to call his own psalm."
Thomas McCrie the younger comments on the above passage:
"œThere is much implied in these words, "˜especially in a suffering condition.´ We know not what it is to suffer for the gospel, and therefore know not "˜the consolations of Christ,´ which abound under these sufferings. It is only when the Master sees his servants sick and exhausted, and ready to perish in his service, that he brings forth such cordials to recruit their spirits." (The Story of the Scottish Church, p. 124).
James Durham has a digression, "œConcerning Prophesying," in his Commentary on Revelation.
"œAssert. 2. Yet it is not altogether to be denied, but that the Lord may, in particulars of the last kind, sometimes, reveal himself to some, by foretelling events before they come, such as the famine that Agabus foretold of, or Paul´s imprisonment were; of such the history of the martyrs and saints do sometime make mention: and particularly, Athansius is often advertised of hazards, as is recorded, and in the verity cannot be denied: and of this sort there were many at the reviving of the light of the gospel, who, by foretelling of particular vents, were famous, as John Hus, his foretelling within an hundred years after him, to follow the outbreaking of reformation . . . of many such many were in this land, as Messrs. Wishart, Knox, Welch, Davidson, etc. And this cannot be said altogether to be made void: for, although God hath now closed the canon of scripture, yet that he should be restrained in his freedom, from manifesting of himself thus, there is no convincing ground to bear it out, especially when experience hath often proven the contrary in the most holy men. Yet, 1. This is not habitual or ordinary to any, but is singular at some few times, and in some few cases. 2. Every persuasion of mind before the event come, and answerableness in it when it cometh, will not be sufficient to make it pass for a prophectical foreknowledge, more than when in dreams it may often so fall out. 3. This will not denominate one to be a prophet, although, in some singular events, God maketh this use of him. 4. Nor can such predictions warrant any to do a thing as a duty, which otherwise would not be warrantable unto them. 5. There is difference to be put betwixt the simple foretelling of an event, which may be of God, and a conclusion which may be drawn therefrom; this may be of ourselves, as we may see in the predictions of these, Acts 21, who foretold of Paul´s imprisonment at Jerusalem, yet was not that to divert him from his going there, as many collected; that therefore was not from God, as Paul´s pressure in the spirit to go notwithstanding, doth clear; every such prediction therefore cannot be made a rule of duty, seeing the Lord may have other good ends of trial, advertisement and confirmation in it. And we will not find, that any have made use of such particular revelations, as from them to press a duty upon others, that would not otherwise be warantable, although,, when it concurreth with other grounds, it may have its weight for swaying in lawful things."
This is more guarded than Gillispie´s comment on page 26 of the Miscellany Questions (see Stillwaters reprint of Hetherington edition).
The following is cited in Treasury of the Scottish Covenant by Johnston:
"œI acknowledge the instances that have been published in Fleming´s "œFufilling" and in other books seem a specious plea that one kind of the extraordinary gifts of the Spirit still continues. I think Mr. Gillespie of Carnock [cmc-not George Gillespie] has given a satisfying answer. Human sagacity by attending to the operation of natural and moral causes may form shewd conjectures." John Erskine

Here is something from Samuel Rutherford published after he left the Westminster Assembly and after the WCF was adopted by the Church of Scotland. Samuel Rutherford, A Survey of the Spiritual Antichrist (London, 1648).
p. 38. Chapter 8 Of Revelation and Inspirations
As Swenchknfeld and his; so Familists and Antinomians now, as also the Nicolaitans, of which hereafter, were all for immediate inspirations, revelations, without scripture, or indeavours or studying, or books or reading. It was observed in New England, when
p. 39
Familists grew, that, especially in the Towne of Boston and in other parts of New England, Familists devised such a difference between the covenant of works, and of grace, especially after a sermon preached by M. Wheelewreight a prime Familists, that he that will not renounce (saith the author of the story of the rise, reigne. See pag. 24, 25) his sanctification, and wait for an immediate revelation of the Spirit, cannot be admitted, be he never so Godly, and is looked on as an enemy to Christ, and he that is already in the Church and will not acknowledge this new light, is undervalued.
Now as touching revelations and inspirations of the Spirit, I conceave with all submission to the Learned and Godly.
1. There is a twofold revelation, one of the letter of the word and Gospell, this is nothing, but the Lord´s active uttering of his will and Gospell which was hid before as Ephes. 3:9-10, Ezech. 20:11-12, Hosea 8:12; Rev. 1:19. This is a revelation proper and immunicable to any, for God only did devise the Gospel; when neither Man nor Angel could dreame of a way of redemption for lost man and reveeled to Adam that the seed of the woman, Jesus Christ, should breake the head of the Serpent, and dissolve the workes of Satan. This revelation of the letter of the Gospell is made to thousands, that never believe, and therefore though it be but literall and externall, yet none could thus reveale the minde of god to Prophets and Apostles, but God onely, as none were inspired of God, but writers of Cannonnick scripture, and Scripture onely is given by divine inspiration, 2 Tim. 3:16, 2 Pe. 1:21, & as this revelation active is God´s onely, so from him as the author and fountaine, men doe as Herolds carry this message of revelation to others: so passively, it is common to believers and unbelleevers, for the letter of the Gospell may be revealed to all within the visible Church, and yet the most part are destituted of an internall revelation. Therefore there is an internall revelation, of things that men believe. And this I conceave to be foure-fold.
1. Propheticall.
2. Speciall to the elect only.
3. Of some facts peculiar to Godly men.
4. False and Satanicall.

[1.] Propheticall Revelation is that irradiation of the minde that the Holy Ghost makes on the minde and judgment of the penmen of holy scripture, whether Prophets or Apostles and that by an
p. 40
immediate in-breathing of the minde and will of God on them, whether in visions, dreames, or any other way, without men, or the ministery or teaching of men, as he did to Esaiah, Jeremiah, Isa. 1:1. Jer. 1:1 or to Paul, Gal. 1:11. Paul an Apostle not to men, neither by men, 11, 12. but I certifie you, brethren, that the Gospell which was preached by me, is not after man, for I neither received it of man neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. 15, 16. But when it pleased god to reveale his sonne in me, immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood, neither went I up to Jerusalem, to them that were Apostles before me, but I went into Arabia, and returned againe unto Damascus. Ephes. 3:2, 3. If yee have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God, which is in me to you ward, how that by revelation he made knowne unto me the mystery, &c. I dispute not of the way of the Lord´s imprinting the speeches, images, and representations of his minde to Prophets and Apostles; I conceave it is the same way, that God revelaed himself to Jeremiah 1:11-13, &c and to Paul Act 16:9-10, and that as Ezechiel 3:14. so John the Apostle Re. 1:10 was in the Spirit, and saw, by an immediate brightnesse of light, perfectly & understandingly the will & minde of Christ, in what they prophecied and wrote. And this Revelation is so far from being beside the mind of God, that it is formally the express word sense and mind of God: if Fami. Have such Revelations. 1. they see the Visions of God. 2. They speake as acted by the Spirit immediately, and so we are with the like certainty of faith to believe what H. Nicholas Wheelwright, Mrs. Hutchison, M. Del, Saltmarsh, Beacon, Den, Crispe, Collier, &c. speake and write, as we are to believe the writings and sayings of the Prophets and the Apostles, and both must be alike to us, the mouth of the Lord: and what they both write or preach must be the object of our faith, and their writings must be added to the booke of the revelation, which is forbidden. Rev. 22:17-19, Deut. 12:32, Deut. 30:5-6. This is the Anti-Christ himself. 3. Let them shew the singes of the Apostle-ship; by miracles and speaking with tongues and foretelling things contingent, that are to come; and we shall believe them; Familists produce your strong reasons.
2. There is a speciall internall revelation, made of things in scripture, applied in particular to the soules of elect believers, by which, having heard and learned of the Father Joh. 6:4.
p. 41
there is made known and revealed to them, by the Spirit of wisedome and revelation, what is the hope of their calling, and what is the riches of the glory of the inheritance in the Saints. Ephes. 1:17-19. and that revealed to them, which flesh and blood revealeth not, but the Father of Christ, Matt. 16:17. And that which the Father revealeth unto babes, and hides from the wise and prudent, Matt. 11:25-26. And this is common to all that believe, and not ingrossed as peculiar to the Familists and Antinomians onely, for if it were, then my faith should be in vaine, and I have fallen from my portion and share in Christ, and of the inheritance of the Saints in light, for there should be no converts in the world but Familists onely.
Now this Revelation is a cleare evidence in the conscience by the Testimony of the Spirit, that I am a child of God Rom. 8:16 whether it be immediate; or from speaking signs and markes of sanctification 1 Joh. 1:3 1 Joh. 3:14, 18-20. 2. It is the knowledge of no new article which is not conteined in the word in the Generall, and is not proper and incommunicable to none but to Antinomians, but is the mystery of the Spirit revealing these things, that are gratiously given to us of God. 1 Cor. 2:12. even to all believers. 3. It´s true as touching me, by name it is not revealed nor written in scripture in expresse words, and that I am by name written in the Lamb´s booke of life, and a child and sonne of God and an heire annexed with Christ, of life and glory, nor are the individuall and numericall manifestations and inshinings, flowings, motions, inbreathings, outgoings of the Spirit of life, and stirrings of the new birth, to John rather than to Mary, to this beleever rather than to another in Spaine, written in the Scripture: yet the Spirit acts never ordinarily, but a beleever may know and heare the noise of his feet; now if all these individuall manifestations, ebbings and flowings of tydes of free grace were written, then should also be written their degrees lesse or more of Christ, the names of the believing Saints, that can say I Paul, I John, I Anne, &c. Live not, but Christ lives in me; for these I presume adde a numericall particular and individuall being to every single act or motion of the dispensation of grace, and if all were in number, weight, and measure written in scripture, the world (as John saith of Christ´s facts) should not conteine the bookes, that should be written.
The Holy Ghost speaking of a collective body the Church
p. 42
and spouse of Christ in Solomon´s song, in the book of the Psalms and of the Lamentations of Jeremiah, shewes us of the outgoings, incomings of the beloved in the soule, of his cloudings and outshinings of free love, of the acts of the hands of Christ, Can. 5. Touching the handles of the barre, and the smel of the myrrhe of Christ, that he leaves behind him when he is departed, of the soul´s feelings of the impressions, or the withdrawings of Christ, as if the whole Church Catholicke of Invisible believers (for so the Church is taken especially, Psal. 45. and in the booke of Solomon´s song) were but one particular beleever, which is a demonstration that the particular actings of the spirit of grace cannot be written in the scriptures, yet are they not to be thought unlawfull revelations, and destitute of the word, no more than we can say, all the particular actings of devils & of all wicked men, since the creation, of whoring, swearing, Idol-worship, lying, stealing, oppressing, mis-beleeving, &c, are not contrary to the expresse law of the Holy Ghost speaking in the word, because these sinnefull actes are not particularly all specified and written in scripture, with the names of the actors.
3. There is a 3 revelation of some particular men, who have foretold things to come even since the ceasing of the Canon of the word, as John Huse, Wickeliefe, Luther, have foretold things to come, and they certainly fell out, and in our nation of Scotland, M. George Wishart foretold that Cardinall Beaton should not come out alive at the Gates of the Castle of St. Andrewes, but that he should dye a shamefull death, and he was hanged over the window that he did look out at, when he saw the man of God burnt, M. Knox prophecied of the hanging of the Lord of Grange, M. Joh. Davidson uttered prophecies, knowne to many of the kingdome, diverse Holy and mortified preachers in England have done the like; no Familists, or Antinomians, no David George, nor H. Nicholars, no man ever of that Gang, Randel or Wheelwright, or Den, or any other, that ever I heard of, being once ingaged in the Familisticall way, ever did utter any but the fourth sort of lying and false inspirations. Mrs Hutchison, said she should be delivered from the Court of Boston miraculously as Daniel from the Lyons, which proved false, Becold prophecied of the deliverance of the Towne of Munster which was delivered to their enemies, and he and his Prophet were tortured and hanged, David George prophecied of the raising of himself from the dead, which was never fulfilled, now the differences between the third and fourth revelations, I place in these: 1. These worthy reformers did tye no man to believe their prophecies as scriptures, we are to give faith, to the predictions of Prophets and Apostles, foretelling facts to come, as to the very word of God, they never gave themselves out as organs immediately inspired by the Holy Ghost, as the Prophets doe, and as Paul did Rom. 11 prophecying of the calling of the Jews, and John, Rev. 1:10 and through the whole booke; yea they never denounced judgment against those that believe not their predictions, of these particular events and facts as they are such particular events & facts, as the Prophets and Apostles did. But Mrs. Hutchison said Rise, Reigne, p. 61 art. 27. That her particular revelations about future events, were as infallible as any scripture, and that she is bound as much to believe them as the Scripture, for the same Holy Ghost is author of both, Mr. Cornwell and Familists of old England say she and hers were the more spirituall and only Saints in New England, and the rest were but Antichristian persecutors. It´s knowne they held revelations without and beside the word of God, Rise, reigne, er 40. and said the whole letter of the Scripture holdes forth a covenant of workes, er. 9. And so the whole letter of the Scripture, Law, or Gospell is abolished to believers, and doth no more oblige them, then the covenant of workes can curse those that are under grace. For T Collier Marrow of Christianity, pag. 25, 26, saith many spiritually enlightened of late, are brought to Gospell-injoyments, some either way which is spirituall, then by verball preaching; but Familists take the word preached for the printed inkie letter, or the aire, dead sound of the Gospell, we take it for the letter and sound of preaching, as it includes the thing signified, to wit, Christ, and all his promises, in which sense the sounding of the Gospel heard worketh many yeares after it is preached, and the word long agoe preached may be awaked up by a sad affliction, an inspiration from god, and produce the worke of conversion, and still it is the word of truth in the scripture that produceth faith as it is the same seed thaty lyeth many monthes under the clod and groweth and bringeth forth fruit after: And we know Antinomians reject the scriptures and build all upon inward revelations, as their binding and obliging rule. Del, ser. Page. 26. Saltmarsh, free grace, page. 146.

p. 44.
2. The events revealed to Godly and sound witnesses of Christ are not contrary to the word: But Becold, John Mathie, and Joh. Schykerus (who kild his brother for no fault) and other Euthysiasts of that murthering Spirit Sathan who killed innocent men, expressly against the sixt command. Thou shalt not Kill, and taught the Boures of Germany to rise and kill all lawfull Magistrates, because they were no Magistrates; upon the pretence of the Impulsions and Inspirations of the Holy Ghost, were acted by inspirations against the word of God; All that the Godly reformers foretold of the tragicall ends of the proclaimed enemies of the Gospell, they were not actors themselves in murthering these enemies of god, nor would M. Wishart command or approve that Norman and Joh. Leslyes should kill the Cardinall Beaton, as they did.
2. They had a generall rule going along that Evill shall hunt the wicked man: onely a secret harmelesse, but an extraordinary strong impulsion, of a Scripture-spirit leading them, carried them to apply a generall rule of divine justice, in their predictions, to particular Godlesse men, they themselves onely being foretellers not copartners of the act.
3. They were men sound in the faith opposite to Popery, Prelacy, Socinianisme, Papisme, Lawless Enthyusiansme, Antinomianisme, Arminianisme, Arrianisme, and what else is contrary to sound doctrine, all these being wanting in such as hold this fourth sort of revelations we cannot judge them but Santanicall having these characters. 1. They are not pure and harmelesse; but thrust men on upon bloody and wicked practices forbidden by God: Though God bad Abrahma Kill his only son for him, to try his obedience, yet God countermanded him, and would not have him act accordingly: these Spirits actually kill the innocent upon a pretended Spirit´s impulsion. 2. They have no rule of the word to countenance them, and if thy lead men from the Law & the Testimony, it is because there is no light in them, Is. 8:20. 3. These revelations lodge in men of rotten and corrupt minds destitute of the truth, and they are opposite and destructive to sanctification. 4. They argue the scriptures to be imperfect, and to be a lamed and maneked directory, of faith and manners, contrary to Scripture, Psa. 19:7-9. 2 Tim. 3:15-16. Luke 16:30-31. John 20:30-31. Acts 26:22. Psal. 119:105, &c.
4. Then the Scripture shall not decide all controverted truthes,
p. 45
nor be that, by which we shall finde the truth and the rule of trying of the Spirit, whether they be of God, or no, contrary to Io. 39. 1 Thess. 5:21. [5] And contrary to the laudable example of the noble Bereans who tried Paul´s doctrine by the Scriptures Act. 17:11. 6. Christ´s knock and stirrings on the heart, sounds and breathes the breathings of God in his word, the Devil´s knock is a dumbe and dead knock and is destitute of the word of truth. 7. Men doe and act all things from their own Spirit, and walke in th elight of their own Sparkes and there is no end of erring and wandring from God, when they act by no certaine knowne rule of the word.

The following email has some useful information and thoughts, from the first exchange I had on this subject back in 1996.
Subject: Re: Covie-forum (May 16, 1996)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 23:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
To: "œDouglas W. Comin"
<snip>
[Dean Smith had written]
Warfield and Cessationism
While I appreciate much of what Warfield has written, there is a need for caution in regarding Warfield as articulating the "œReformed Position" on spiritual gifts. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in "œJoy Unspeakable" challenges Reformed people to recover the deep emphasis and experience of the Holy Spirit that the Puritans had.
In reviewing Covenanter history, I was amazed to discover that Alexander Peden was known as "œthe Prophet" since he made so many prophecies that came true (he was not viewing these as new revelation equal to the Scripture). There were dramatic healings, including one case of restoring to life a man who had been dead for 48 hours.
The above items are all documented in John Howie´s "œThe Scots Worthies".
I believe that Warfield would insist that these people were either greatly deluded or were heretics. When I talked with Richard Gaffin from Westminster Seminary last year, (one of the leading cessationists) he was very careful to say that *he* would not want to say that these things could not happen. I am not seeking to prophesy, heal, etc. However, I am concerned about a principle which says that *anytime* these >things occur, they *must* be counterfeit. If so, the Covenanters are in big trouble!!!
I´m sure we´ll have more discussion!!

[response from Phil]
Oh, I spose so! We need to distinguish, as Norman Shepherd taught us at Westminster, between extraordinary gifts and extraordinary providences. I don´t know what Baby Warfield would have thought of these things. That they happened is undeniable. Many of us have had extraordinary providences as well. Weeks ago, as I was washing the dishes ("œLe Dishwasher, c´est moi."), I had a sudden strong impression that the senior elder at Dervock congregation had died, and I immediately started praying for the family. I found out shortly afterward that that´s what had, indeed, happened, and at that time. I´d heard of this sort of thing before, but never experienced it before. OK. Now, do I have the gift of discernment, like Peter with Simon Magus or Ananias and Sapphira? Don´t I wish! No, it was an extraordinary providence, I trust indeed from the Lord, but not an extraordinary gift.
Mr Coldwell has, since this was brought up by Mr Smith, brought in more material that is very helpful on this issue. I urge all who are following this thread to view or re-view it.

Thanks for the input!
Phil Pockras
Minister, Belle Center, OH, USA, congregation
Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America

CJ Mahaney, Wayne Grudem & let's not forget RT Kendall as another "Charismatic Calvinist". I don't find these people "flaky" as compared to say Benny Hinn or Jimmy Swaggart etc. Anyways you can count me as one as well. I simply don't make much of an issue of it. In my case I came OUT of a "charismatic Word of Faith" type church & embraced Reformed theology within the last 2 years. Loving it!!:banana:

Originally posted by 3John2
CJ Mahaney, Wayne Grudem & let's not forget RT Kendall as another "Charismatic Calvinist". I don't find these people "flaky" as compared to say Benny Hinn or Jimmy Swaggart etc. Anyways you can count me as one as well. I simply don't make much of an issue of it. In my case I came OUT of a "charismatic Word of Faith" type church & embraced Reformed theology within the last 2 years. Loving it!!:banana:

I think you'll get dissent from some quarters on whether Kendall is a Calvinist considering his criticisms of the Puritans and being one of the key figures in the old "Calvin vs. the Calvinists" argument. His soteriology seems closer to DTS, Ryrie, etc. but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

[Edited on 7-11-2006 by Pilgrim]

Charismatic Calvinists?

Do they prophecy in the name of the doctor of Geneva, and speak in unknown French? :)

Oxymoron:

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the Thread title. I once was a member of a Church of God Church.

It is not an oxymoron. It is just calvinists who are not cessationalists.
I am one who affirms the tenents of reformed theology including infant baptism, covenant theology, calvinism, five solas, the creeds and confessions. However, I also believe that the gifts of the spirit have not ceased. I don't think that speaking in tongues is for every believer. I think Holy Spirit baptism happens at conversion, even though the gifts can evidence themselves later. I also think that these gifts have been supressed thoughout history by the catholic church. there was definitely spiritual gifts being manifest during the reformation and the great awakening. Unfortunately, enlightenment thinking crept into the church and did away with the miraculous. Chapter 12 of I Corithians and Romans are explicit on these gifts. If I believe the Bible says this is the way we should go then who am I to change it. I know many here don't agree with me on this, but I do not want to get into an argument here. I am just saying that is not an oxymoron to be charismatic and calvinist (biblical).

Sovereign Grace Ministries (formerly PDI--I have no idea what that stands for) claims to be Reformed and Charismatic.

Originally posted by bigheavyq
It is not an oxymoron. It is just calvinists who are not cessationalists.
I am one who affirms the tenents of reformed theology including infant baptism, covenant theology, calvinism, five solas, the creeds and confessions. However, I also believe that the gifts of the spirit have not ceased. I don't think that speaking in tongues is for every believer. I think Holy Spirit baptism happens at conversion, even though the gifts can evidence themselves later. I also think that these gifts have been supressed thoughout history by the catholic church. there was definitely spiritual gifts being manifest during the reformation and the great awakening. Unfortunately, enlightenment thinking crept into the church and did away with the miraculous. Chapter 12 of I Corithians and Romans are explicit on these gifts. If I believe the Bible says this is the way we should go then who am I to change it. I know many here don't agree with me on this, but I do not want to get into an argument here. I am just saying that is not an oxymoron to be charismatic and calvinist (biblical).

The problem I find with this assessment is the fact that charismatics specifically claim the continuation of revelatory and miraculous gifts, not simply gifts in general; whereas the reformers and Puritans only held to the continuation of ordinary gifts. They spoke of analogies between the ordinary and extraordinary to show that the church of God is not worse off for not having the extraordinary, but rather better off to have the regular, uninterrupted gifts. When Bourignianism emerged in the 17th century it was rejected by Calvinists.

When you go back and read those pre-enlightenment accounts of "miracles" and "revelations," can you find one instance of the person themselves claiming it was a "miracle" or a "revelation?" I was unable to find one instance of it, even though I read all of the accounts which are usually provided to prove that they held to the continuation of the gifts. Now does it seem right that God would work a wonder, and yet the person through whom He works does not claim it is the power of God? A more balanced view would conclude that later hagiography made these claims of "miracle" and "revelation" whereas the persons involved with them only saw them as out of the ordinary as distinguished from extraordinary providences.

"Charismatic Calvinists" IS an oxymoron. If you heard the word "Papist Calvinist" you would say there is no such thing in the world. Well Charismatic revelations and Papist traditions are equally guarded against by the Calvinistic Westminster Confession, chapter 1, section 6. To presume to ADD anything to the Word of God is unCalvinistic.

Now I can anticipate that you will say Charismatics do not ADD to the Word of God, but that their revelations must agree with the Word of God in order to be valid. Papists say the same for their magesterium. If Charismatic revelations do not bring anything new, what is the purpose of them? God is sparing of miracle, Luke 16:29-31. He will not display His power simply to satisfy a person's love for the spectacular. He has given us His word, that Word is sufficient, and it has been competently attested by many infallible proofs. If men will not hear God's word, then neither will they hear though one rose from the dead.

Ironically, you know, another Lazarus did rise from the dead. Instead of believing, the leaders of the people sought to have him killed.

Miracles and revelations served that interim period while the Gentiles were being incorporated into the church and until the Jews rejected the counsel of God against themselves. "The perfect" of 1 Cor. 13:10 is equivalent to "the end of the world" in 1 Cor. 10:11.

Could it be People of Destiny International?

rsc

Originally posted by kevin.carroll
Sovereign Grace Ministries (formerly PDI--I have no idea what that stands for) claims to be Reformed and Charismatic.

1. One difficulty with the term "Charismatic Calvinist" is that it assumes a false definition of Calvinism.

2. If Calvinism is a short-hand way of speaking of the system of faith summarized in the Reformed confessions, then no, "charismatic" theology is incompatible with "Calvinism" so defined.

3. The term CC seems to assume a reductionist definition of Calvinism as predestination. In that case Thomas Aquinas, Thomas Bradwardine and Gottschalk of Orbais were all "Calvinists." Of course they weren't! They couldn't have been. The primary thing they all had in common with Calvin was a commitment to double predestination, but there's much more to Reformed theology and even Calvin's own theology than DP.

4. Reformed theology is much broader than one person (i.e., Calvin). We're not bound to one person's doctrine however eminent and beloved he is. We do not call our churches "Calvinist" the way the Lutherans call themselves Lutheran. We denominate ourselves by a theological (Reformed) or an ecclesiological term (Presbyterian).

5. It seems to me that the Reformed churches ought to get to define what "Reformed" is and Calvin ought to define what Calvinism is. Take a "charismatic" to St Pierre in Geneva on the Sabbath and I think we all know what would happen. First time the hands went up, the deacons would be right there. First time "glossolalia" happened, the elders would be right there.

I doubt that a Charismatic/Pentecostal (if we can conflate "Calvinist" with "Reformed" then we can conflate Charismatic with Pentecostal) would be able to tolerate the Spirit-quenching dead orthodoxy of the Genevan liturgy. Psalms only. No instruments. A service in which the minister alone is leading the service and the congregation is doing what it's told, when it's told, the way it's told on pain of discipline is the antithesis of the free-form, "Spirit-led" services of the Charismatics, isn't it?

The Reformed churches as churches have rejected the claims of the charismatics since the 16th century. Nothing has changed. We regard them as fanatics and they regard us as unspiritual. The fact that some of them have become predestinarian doesn't fundamentally change that relation.

What hath Calvin to do with Cane Ridge? Nothing so far as I know.

rsc

As do some in the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

Originally posted by R. Scott Clark
...the Genevan liturgy. Psalms only. No instruments. A service in which the minister alone is leading the service and the congregation is doing what it's told, when it's told, the way it's told on pain of discipline...

Just reading about such a thing is a little taste of heaven...

Originally posted by Philip A
...the Genevan liturgy. Psalms only. No instruments. A service in which the minister alone is leading the service and the congregation is doing what it's told, when it's told, the way it's told on pain of discipline...

:ditto:

Oh to find a church like that. :pray2:

Could it be People of Destiny International?

rsc

You say this like you know it! ;)

Originally posted by Augusta

Not to toot our horn, but this is what we are like and reforming towards. :book2:

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Originally posted by Augusta
...the [Westminster Directory liturgy]. Psalms only. No instruments. A service in which the minister alone is leading the service and the congregation is doing what it's told, when it's told, the way it's told on pain of discipline...

Not to toot our horn, but this is what we are like and reforming towards. :book2:

Toot.gif

By the grace of God, Ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda! :pray2::book2::sing:

[Edited on 7-12-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
By the grace of God, Ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda! :pray2::book2::sing:

Unfortunately, Andrew, at least in my experience, what semper reformanda means to most people who use that term is "not very Reformed and always becoming less so". Thankfully this is not always the case!

Frank,

Having been tempted, once upon a time many years ago, to adopt the so-called "CC" position via Grudem's book on prophecy, I now think it's clearer and more accurate to say that Wayne and Maheny are "predestinarian" rather than Reformed. Kendall is another case altogether. I've only read his historical work, but my understanding is that he has some sympathies with aspects of the Reformed tradition but that (putting aside the "gifts" for a moment) could not be ordained in any remotely confessional denomination.

It is confusion such as this that makes me say again and again that it is the confessions that must define what it is to be Reformed.

Predestination is not enough. We have a Christology, aspects to our sotreiology beyond predestination, we have an anthropology, a doctrine of God, and an ecclesiology (including a high view of the means of grace) which the people you list here do not share.

I'm reasonably sure that RTK is an Amyraldian, a view, which while tolerated by some Reformed in the 17th century, has come to be rejected my Reformed churches since. I'm told that he also followed the practice of the Toronto Blessing etc. Certainly those who were devoted to the Doctor's ministry have been most disappointed in developments at Westminster Chapel since RTK began his ministry 25 years ago or so.

As for RTK's account of Calvin and English Calvinism, that has been soundly refuted in a number of works, perhaps most thoroughly by Mark Dever (a Baptist, who is much closer to being "Reformed" I guess than most of the folks you mentioned).

Years ago I heard Wayne describe his "conversion" to his current view of non-canonical prophecy. He narrated his first and failed attempt to heal. It's nothing more than old-fashioned Pentecostalism in respectable middle-class dress. He reported that he failed to heal because he had not enough faith.

Reformed folk do not confess ongoing, fallible, non-canonical prophecy. There's no such thing. It doesn't happen. I don't care what stories people tell. By definition, Spirit-inspired revelation is just that. The Spirit doesn't err. Agabus is a difficult story for all and a terrible place from which to build a doctrine of revelation! When our forefathers spoke of "prophecies" they meant "sermons."

Why can't Predestinarian Pentecostals simply be that? Why must be baptize them into the Reformed church when they don't accept our confession?

I know this seems close-minded, and I'm sorry for that. I know that asserting limits to freedom in our age rubs folk the wrong way, but it has to be done.

I really do want to see my evangelical brothers become Reformed and embrace the Reformation confession of Scripture thoroughly. I spend my life largely ministering to just such folk. It doesn't help them when we tell them halfway down the hall, okay, that's far enough. Let's not say that. Let's say, "Great, you've begun a trip. Now, keep coming. Don't stop there."

rsc

Originally posted by 3John2

I think the divines are perhaps referring obliquely to Paul's warning in Galatians or perhaps to the claim by many in the 16th and 17th century to have received revelations from the Spirit. The article is asserting the uniqueness and finality of Scripture. They are not asserting that and then contradicting the same in the same breath.

rsc

I am fully persuaded that it is dangerous doctrine to assert that the Holy Spirit continues to give new revelation since the close of the canon of Holy Scripture.

However, I am confused about one matter relating to the Westminster Confession which states "The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men" (Chap. I.VI). If there are no new revelations of the Spirit, a point with which I readily agree, does the wording of this text make any concession that such revelation is possible? I trust not, but would be glad for anyone's clarification on the matter.

I think the divines are perhaps referring obliquely to Paul's warning in Galatians or perhaps to the claim by many in the 16th and 17th century to have received revelations from the Spirit. The article is asserting the uniqueness and finality of Scripture. They are not asserting that and then contradicting the same in the same breath.

rsc

I am fully persuaded that it is dangerous doctrine to assert that the Holy Spirit continues to give new revelation since the close of the canon of Holy Scripture.

However, I am confused about one matter relating to the Westminster Confession which states "The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men" (Chap. I.VI). If there are no new revelations of the Spirit, a point with which I readily agree, does the wording of this text make any concession that such revelation is possible? I trust not, but would be glad for anyone's clarification on the matter.

Thanks, Dr. Clark. I agree. (This was an old question, btw.) As I mentioned earlier, I think the word "pretended" in front of "new revelations of the Spirit" would help to clarify, but as you alluded to Galatians, which is one of the proof texts, it seems clear that is what they had in mind.

Robert Shaw, Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith:

The perfection of the Scriptures is to be maintained in opposition to those enthusiasts who pretend to new revelations of the Spirit, and in opposition to the Church of Rome, which "receives traditions with the same veneration that they do the Scriptures." No new revelations are to be added to the oracles of God, for Christ and his apostles have foretold the rise of false prophets, and warned us not to give heed to their pretended revelations."“Matt. xxiv. 11, 24. The Apostle Paul denounces a curse upon all who preach any other gospel than that which is contained in the Scriptures."“Gal. i. 8, 9. The uncertainty of private revelations furnishes another argument against them. Such is the deceitfulness of the heart, that men are apt to mistake their own fancies and imaginations for revelations of the Spirit, and such is the subtlety of Satan, that he sometimes transforms himself into an angel of light. Private revelations, therefore, must be very uncertain to ourselves, and much more so to others. And it may be observed, that none plead for the authority of private revelations but such as, by the contrariety of their opinions and practices to the Scriptures, manifest themselves to be led by a spirit of delusion.

Proof texts for the section cited:

2 Tim. 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Gal. 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

2 Thess. 2:2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

Speaking of Kendall & the Toronto deal...my ex church the WOF church I was at for 12 go into. It was shortly thereafter that I left. So in that aspect I would NOT agree. Put it this way there is no glossolalia at the church services I attend hower occasionally when praying with people there I do occasionaly hear some "praying in tongues". I think CJ Mahaney is great like I said. I do NOT miss my old church.

Don\'t forget the Third Wave guys

There are a lot of guys who are "third wave" charismatics who hold to the doctrines of grace. They are not Reformed per say, but are Calvinists. A prominent example is Sam Storms. He's an Edwards scholar and former professor at Wheaton. He's also a member of Mike Bickle's church and a major player at the International House of Prayer. Weird mix in my opinion.

He has some books on the subject that I have yet to read (basically I only read his Edwards stuff). One is called "Convergence: Spiritual Journeys of a Charismatic Calvinist." Definitely interesting in topic...I might get around to ordering it after I finish the 50 or so books that I'm currently trying to finish :)

Third wave movement & IHOP are part of KC prophets movement. My old roommate became involved with these people. They are well meaning but Whacky! These people are one step away from being a cult in my book. I know DTS lost some scholars to this group back in the 1980s. Very sad really. They do not appeal to Edwards for the same reason a reformed person would. Edwards is appealing because he is viewed as having the correct ethical response to invoke the blessing of the Spirit and also that he recognized the "work of the spirit" as evidenced by "charismatic" signs. What third wave folks over look is that Edwards disregards the fluff and at the end of the day wanted to see fruit that persist beyond the emotional fervor. The Third wave folks want to usher in the new kingdom I.e.... as "Joel's Army". A third great awakening is what they desire. Another characteristic of Third wave is their view of demonology. Each sin has its own "demon". Prayer is used to bind demons. I will say that this group is fragmented and is not always consistent in what defines them. I would be very hesitant to call these people "Calvinist" in any true sense of the word.

I have spent the last few days reading articles by Dr Storms. Some thoughts:

1. Dr Storms doesnt fit the mold I would have expected based on my experience and interaction with IHOP folks. This confirms my suspension of this "organization/movement" being fragmented.
2. Apart from his sympathy for Charismatic issues, Dr Storms seems to have a "reformed" view of theology, and a congregation view of ecclesiology.
3. Dr. Storms is intellectually honest and scholarly in his evaluations of all of the articles I have read thus far. (similar to Dr Fee)
4. I know two people who know Dr Storms personally who vouch for his character and passion for conservative evangelical orthodoxy. He is not the type of person to be hooked by irrational exuberance. (I am not suggesting that his opinion acts as a baptism for charismatic theology, but simply that his opinion is informed & qualified)
5. Until a few weeks ago I had never heard of Dr Storms
6. Sorting out the charismatic movement and who's' who etc. is no easy task!
7. I am encouraged that "Calvinism" and "reformed" oriented theology is gaining acceptance in charismatic circles

I, too, am encouraged when pentacostals preach Reformed truth.

In the Lansing, Michigan area the Okemos Christian Center is sponsoring a conference on biblical prophesy this coming weekend with Gary DeMar and Kenneth Gentry.

The remarkable part of this is the Okemos Christian Center is a congregation of the old line pentacostal denomination, the Church of God, Cleveland, Tennesse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back