A New Book I'm Starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
It's The Theology of Benedict XVI: A Protestant Appreciation, edited by Tim Perry (Bellingham: Lexham Press, 2019), xxii + 314pp.

Essays by Tim Perry, Ben Myers, Katherine Sonderegger, Gregg R. Allison, Kevin J. Vanhoozer, R. Lucas Stamps, Christopher R. J. Holmes, Fred Sanders, Carl R. Trueman, David Ney, Peter J. Leithart, Joey Royal, Annette Brownlee, Preston D. S. Parsons, and Jonathan Warren P. (Pagan). With a forward by Tracey Rowland and an afterward by Matthew Levering.

Here's four sample chapter titles: "Writing Theology in a Secular Age: Joseph Ratzinger on Theological Method" (Sonderegger), "Expounding the Word of the Lord: Joseph Ratzinger on Revelation, Tradition, and Biblical Interpretation" (Vanhoozer), and "Is the Pope (Roman) Catholic?: Joseph Ratzinger on Ecumenism" (Trueman), and "Servant of the Clear, Wide Word: Joseph Ratzinger on Preaching" (Brownlee).

No, I'm not crossing the Tiber (I can't even swim). I'm just interested in what they have to say. Should be an interesting book. In future posts, I'll let you know how it is.

Here's an interesting parallel:

J. I. Packer and Joseph Ratzinger were born nine months apart (Packer in July, 1926 and Ratzinger in April, 1927) and both men finished their educations and submitted their doctoral dissertations in the same year - 1954. Packer's was on Richard Baxter and Ratzinger's was on a theological aspect (I believe) of Augustine's City of God.

But boy, what different careers they had!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back