A Thank You To My PB Brethren! BEST DISCUSSION EVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
I want to say, a "joke" thread opened the door for me to discuss in a rational manner the Liturgical Year from a Reformed Episcopal Perspective. It was a blessing! Firstly, I in a PM stated something to a Brother, I RESPECT those who use the RPW as a worship standard! I TRULY DO! FURTHER I have NO desire to "convert" anyone, to the Western Worship Calendar. I finally was able to make clear some VAST differences between how Rome uses (misuses certain days really) and the REC perspective, I had a chance to explain for us, a day like Lent, unlike the RCC, imparts NO MERIT! We believe in the Lord's finished work! No absurd merits and "brownie points", our position in the 1662 Revised BCP and the 39 Articles are clear, we feel such teachings (merits and such) are an abomination, our Articles call such "VAIN THINGS!" A dear brother told me, he respected my position as qualified and removed from Roman "logic". I liked it also in there was RESPECT without anyone "folding" as I stated I will risk redundancy and repeat, I love and RESPECT my Brethren who operate within RPG! Again no DESIRE AT ALL to try to "sway" anyone to a Liturgical Calendar! BLESSED PROVIDENCE granted me the wonderful opportunity to give my side, with no person calling me a "Papist" or "Closet Roman" or other horrid things. It was in short all I could ask for, and a class act demonstration with the Members whom I PMd and Posted to. No desire for anyone to compromise or challenge anyones conscience! Such is not my place. For my part I thank ALL of you, with whom I discussed the issues. It is not "easy" to be a Reformed Anglican here, however, last night was an amazing demonstration of class and true Christian love. A deep thanks to ALL who I engaged both in private and on the Board proper. I think at a certain level, all I wanted was a fair hearing for my position and respect, it WAS granted. Truly some of the best discourse I have had on the PB. Grace and Peace!

I went to a funeral yesterday presided over by an RE Minister. There's only one family in his church, but he allows paedocommunion so he's popular among the FV set.

The service was simple, yet profound, and I must say I enjoyed the way he conducted it. He also played the bagpipes, and that's my favorite instrument. Sprinkling the coffin with (what do you call that metal thing that looks like a salt shaker?) was different from what I'm used to, but I'm sure there are symbolic reasons for it.

There is something to be said for tradition, and having people from all different churches repeat the Lord's Prayer and Nicene Creed together is a solemn and moving experience.

I went to a funeral yesterday presided over by an RE Minister. There's only one family in his church, but he allows paedocommunion so he's popular among the FV set.

The service was simple, yet profound, and I must say I enjoyed the way he conducted it. He also played the bagpipes, and that's my favorite instrument. Sprinkling the coffin with (what do you call that metal thing that looks like a salt shaker?) was different from what I'm used to, but I'm sure there are symbolic reasons for it.

There is something to be said for tradition, and having people from all different churches repeat the Lord's Prayer and Nicene Creed together is a solemn and moving experience.
Thank you my Brother! The instrument used for Holy-water, not sure, some do not use it during a funeral, no "HARD and Fast rules about it!" Blessings my friend!:)

I have a Reformed Presbyterian friend who moved to OK and found no decent Ref. Presbyterian Churches around, so began attending an REC. He's very happy with it. Hard to get used to him calling his Pastor a Priest, though.

I've always felt a 'tug' to the Anglican side of the Reformed faith. I've felt the presence of God in RPW worship and in cathedrals using the BCP. Although I hold to a less liturgical manner of ordering the service (Continental Reformed?) I think that we all would be impoverished if we kicked our Reformed Anglican brethren to the curb just because they construct worship differently than we do.

Does this make me a worship liberal? :eek:

Thank you Reverend I wish more were as enlightened as yourself! Including some posting on Ash Wed. at the moment.

Etexas, my brother, I have learned from bumps and bruises on other discussion boards that there are real people on the other side of the computer, and it is absolutely foolish and juvenile and disrespectful and cowardly of me to speak to them in a manner in which I would not do were they sitting in my living room. We may not disagree, but we can certainly respect one another on this board.

Hey, I've attended classes with hardened Arminians who I don't think had ever met and spoken with a non-liberal Presbyterian before, and were amazed that there were still red-blooded Calvinists around. Trust me, REs are are like honeysuckle to morning breath by comparison.

That is exactly how it should be! You should be at liberty to explain your position. You have certainly corrected some of my misunderstandings. Others may disagree with your position, that is their right to do so. However, even in disagreement we must speak the truth in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back