Ed Walsh
Puritan Board Graduate
Greetings fellow pilgrims,
Psalm 119 can be intimidating.
Example: Psalms 119:1-3 ASV
For those who are even somewhat acquainted with their own heart, these verses can be disheartening. Who are these people that are perfect in the way, and do no unrighteousness? That sure isn't me! I'll bet some who are familiar with the plague of their own heart have stopped reading here.
But then we come to verses 5-7, where we hear from the Psalm's author. Oh, how differently he considers his own heart compared to these hypothetical perfect people.
Now I'm going to skip all the way to the last several verses of the Psalm to get another glimpse of the heart of the author. Contrary to the many exhortations in the Scriptures to seek the Lord, with the author, we have the reverse. To me, this is one of the most humble passages in all of Scripture.
Psalm 119 has 176 verses, of which I have quoted but 10. But I think if you keep these 10 in mind, it will give you insight into the whole Psalm.
What are your thoughts?
Psalm 119 can be intimidating.
Example: Psalms 119:1-3 ASV
[1] Blessed are they that are perfect in the way, who walk in the law of Jehovah.
[2] Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, that seek him with the whole heart.
[3] Yea, they do no unrighteousness; They walk in his ways.
[4] Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
For those who are even somewhat acquainted with their own heart, these verses can be disheartening. Who are these people that are perfect in the way, and do no unrighteousness? That sure isn't me! I'll bet some who are familiar with the plague of their own heart have stopped reading here.
But then we come to verses 5-7, where we hear from the Psalm's author. Oh, how differently he considers his own heart compared to these hypothetical perfect people.
[5] O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
[6] Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
[7] I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
Now I'm going to skip all the way to the last several verses of the Psalm to get another glimpse of the heart of the author. Contrary to the many exhortations in the Scriptures to seek the Lord, with the author, we have the reverse. To me, this is one of the most humble passages in all of Scripture.
[174] I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; And thy law is my delight.
[175] Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; And let thy judgments help me.
[176] I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; For I do not forget thy commandments.
Psalm 119 has 176 verses, of which I have quoted but 10. But I think if you keep these 10 in mind, it will give you insight into the whole Psalm.
What are your thoughts?