Analogical Knowledge of God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know of any place, like the Junius I quote, among Reformed theologians that has an extended discussion on analogy and analogical predication?

James Buchanan's book on Analogy is well worth the study. He traces the different views from the period prior to Bishop Butler to his own time (1860s), and he shows the systematic impact these views can have on apologetics, biblical interpretation, and theology.

How is Platonism (a christianized Platonism {exemplarism}, like Augustine's, Bonaventure's, and Anselm's) not an option for a Christian?

I suppose if you transfer the non-personal concepts of Platonism to the person of Jesus Christ you have created an "option" for a Christianised form of Platonism, but how healthy is it? What impact is this going to have on the doctrine of the person of Christ? The Logos ends up being a third nature of Christ. And how much of the Platonic world comes with it? Ontology and epistemology work hand in hand.

How is Platonism (a christianized Platonism {exemplarism}, like Augustine's, Bonaventure's, and Anselm's) not an option for a Christian?

I suppose if you transfer the non-personal concepts of Platonism to the person of Jesus Christ you have created an "option" for a Christianised form of Platonism, but how healthy is it? What impact is this going to have on the doctrine of the person of Christ? The Logos ends up being a third nature of Christ. And how much of the Platonic world comes with it? Ontology and epistemology work hand in hand.
You're probably right. I would still say that it is a matter of Christian liberty, as long as it doesn't lead to anything heretical or heterodox.

Were there any post-reformation theologians who were Platonists? I know that most were either Aristotelian (e.g., Zanchi, I believe) or nominalists (e.g., Luther).

Were there any post-reformation theologians who were Platonists?

The Cambridge Platonists form a study in themselves, especially since they emerged from the same institution as Puritanism. They came up with all kinds of doctrines inimical to the reformed faith.

Were there any post-reformation reformed theologians? :D

Theophilus Gale is one prominent theologian who comes to mind. His fourth book of "Court of the Gentiles" is perhaps the best philosophical treatment of the attributes of God in reformed perspective. But he taught a distinctive Christian interpretation of Plato. That is, he Christianised Plato; he didn't Platonise Christianity.

For what it's worth, Scotism and Thomas's via media would also (probably) entail some sort of realism regarding mathematics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back