Another Desert Island Bible Thread.

YOUR DESERT ISLAND BIBLE.......

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One-volume Matthew Henry's commentaries. Includes the KJV along with commentary!
Nice! Deftly done my Brother! I wondered if anyone would think of that!:cool::cool::cool: There are some One volume commentaries with text....AND if you read carefully mu "rubrics" for what I allow you to bring ... it passes nice thinking!!!!!:book2::book2::book2::book2:

NASB. Because the initials are close to NASA. Ok, and I like the word for word translation.

1599 Geneva Bible. If you master the 1599 Geneva notes alone, you will know more theology than most Ministers today(Ministers on this forum excluded, of course)

Oh, like this is a no-brainer, long live the King Jimmy. In genuine leather. I don't care who publishes it. If I was stranded with a hardback, I'd kill a cow, skin it, cure it, and rebind my bible. Call it...the Ted Nugget Bible!
What if the Island had nothing but some sea lions? I am
not sure what would be more entertaning, a s. lion cover OR you TRYING to take out a sea lion with a coconut....I am betting on the sea lion here. Sorry Tim!

As I sit right now, I'd take the ESV (but the NASB is a close second). Now tomorrow, I might reverse that :)

Oh...forgot to add I'd make it my ESV Study Bible and pray that on this desert island, I could keep up the strength to lug around the 40 pound tome :)

Oh...forgot to add I'd make it my ESV Study Bible and pray that on this desert island, I could keep up the strength to lug around the 40 pound tome :)
See Tom. Think of it as dual purpose. You are on the Island a year, with the good notes in the ESV SB you will be filled with sound knowledge. As for the weight, well man tote that puppy around a year and you will be all buff! SO, it's win-win for ya'.

1599 Geneva Bible. If you master the 1599 Geneva notes alone, you will know more theology than most Ministers today(Ministers on this forum excluded, of course)

A great choice. Get one here with updated English.

AMR
I love my Tolle lege edition of the 1599 Geneva. I have used it almost exclusively over the past 3 years. Although the Tolle Lege edition never changed the original wordings, it never ceases to amaze me how readable and contemporary the English is. More so than the KJV In my humble opinion. To all my PB Brethren, Get your copy while it is still in print!!

not sure what would be more entertaning, a s. lion cover OR you TRYING to take out a sea lion with a coconut....I am betting on the sea lion here. Sorry Tim!

What if...there was a Family Christian Bookstore on the island?

See Tom. Think of it as dual purpose. You are on the Island a year, with the good notes in the ESV SB you will be filled with sound knowledge. As for the weight, well man tote that puppy around a year and you will be all buff! SO, it's win-win for ya'.
very true! :lol:

What if...there was a Family Christian Bookstore on the island?
Tim, I would be worried more about you if you frequented a FCB! MERCY!:lol::lol::cool::pilgrim:

Since I'm assuming that I'm marooned alone and will not need notes for preaching, I might just go with a Bible that I don't ordinarily read: The Jerusalem Bible. Yes, it has extra books and an imprimatur, etc, but it sure reads sweet.

And, as an added bonus, the book of Jonah was mainly translated by J.R.R. Tolkien :D

And I voted ESV--preferably the RSB.

A big second to that 1599 Geneva recommendation. Gotta love a bible full of margin notes by Calvin, Beza and the like.

Other- ESV. Not that I think it's any better translation than NASB or KJV, I just find that I enjoy reading it the most and I trust it.

Sorry about a late post-have not been here for awhile.

I recently purchased a Cambridge Revised English Bible and thoroughly enjoy it.

If I were marooned on an island, without study materials, I would want a bible I could immerse myself in, without textual issues, and transport myself back in time, and be just as eager to start all over again. I believe the REB could do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back