AVG Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron

Puritan Board Graduate
I have been using AVG Free for a few years and all of a sudden I only have LinkScanner. I do not have any other icons and AVG does not scan my computer any more. I tried to download it again but end up with LinkScanner only. Did AVG change their free computer protection? I just get upgrade your product.

Is there something else I could download for free?

Thanks.
 
A Google search will turn up free antivirus programs; however I don't trust "free." I had AVG and still had to deal with a virus. I switched to Trend Micro two years ago and it's been much better.

Sent from my most excellent Motorola Atrix
 
John,

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for some time now, and I find that it works quite well.
 
I use Avast. It has worked well so far and has a free version. Also, it's light on resources so it doesn't bog down your PC.
 
+1 Microsoft Security Essentials.

The best option, of course, is to just nuke Microsoft and make the switch to a Linux distro.
 
I use Avast. It has worked well so far and has a free version. Also, it's light on resources so it doesn't bog down your PC.

Same here. AVG quit updating for me as well unless I subscribed. Avast seems to work quite well.
 
Yes, if you are a Windows user, Microsoft Security Essentials is a great choice. Free, integrates perfectly, upgrades seamlessly, and in a couple of years I've never had the slightest problem with it. I have it running on all my machines at home (multiple laptops and two desktops), including one running an email server. No virus has gotten through yet.

In the past I've run Norton, McAfee, AVG, and Kaspersky. They've all caused a variety of headaches at times. MSE has given me the least trouble.
 
I use Microsoft on both my computers at this point. I used Avast on a former laptop until it died, with no problems. And I could run Norton for free if I wanted to - even have a CD for it here, but I don't need it and it takes too many resources.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top