B.B. King Turns 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
What`s funny about B.B. King and Elvis is the fact I am from Memphis and am not much into their music and I have never even visited Graceland.The Graceland area is a dangerous neighborhood anyway.

ditto average Joey..... Graceland is in a brutally dangerous part of town...I was born about a mile from it...B.B. is totally cool..His solos are generally sparse but passionate...he doesn't come from the glitzy school for sure... Don't let anyone fool you...I've lived in Memphis for 30 years and this place does NOT value it's musical heritage.....there is more lame music in this town than you can imagine:banghead:

Originally posted by Average Joey
What`s funny about B.B. King and Elvis is the fact I am from Memphis and am not much into their music and I have never even visited Graceland.The Graceland area is a dangerous neighborhood anyway.
Well rock and roll is the devil's music ;)

I've enjoyed BB as well. Got a few CD's. Though I don't have the blues as much as I used too, hence the decline in listening to them :)

Originally posted by Slippery
Originally posted by Average Joey
Well rock and roll is the devil's music ;)

Why should the devil have all the good music? :cool:

Listening to the blues make me happy. Stevie Ray, B.B., Clapton, Hooker, Buddy Guy, Robert Johnson...hmm...I should crank 'em up.

Originally posted by crhoades
Listening to the blues make me happy. Stevie Ray, B.B., Clapton, Hooker, Buddy Guy, Robert Johnson...hmm...I should crank 'em up.

Man, that's soul! Don't forget Robert Cray, Janis Joplin, Jeff Healey, and Jake and Elwood. I got to hear John Lee Hooker live once. I was standing 3 feet away, and he blew me away. :cool:

[Edited on 9-16-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

blues is often called "healing music" for the soul (emtions in this context clearly). BB is a wonderful, Guitarist, singer, and all around "blues man". Does anyone know if he professes Christ as his Savior and Lord?

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Originally posted by puritansailor
I've enjoyed BB as well. Got a few CD's. Though I don't have the blues as much as I used too, hence the decline in listening to them :)

The thrill is gone, eh? :cool:

:lol:
I left it in the Red House Over Yonder..... :cool:

Anyone ever listen to Jimmy Hendrix Blues album? He had some great stuff too.

Originally posted by Formerly At Enmity
I've lived in Memphis for 30 years and this place does NOT value it's musical heritage.....there is more lame music in this town than you can imagine:banghead:

You are correct.Especially with the horribly barbaric gangsta rap that originates in this city.

:ditto: Hendrix could really play the blues. Red House is classic. :cool:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

The thrill is gone, eh? :cool:

:lol:

Yeah, I like, "Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand" :bigsmile: Bob Marley also had some quasi blues in his reggae genre also. I like, "I shot the sheriff", Eric Clapton redid this, and, "Woman hold your head an cry".

B.B. King is one of my all time favorites. I'm listening to I Need Your Love right now.

Funny thing is, I firt found out about BB King when watching a rerun of Sandford and Son that he was on!

Favorite B.B. King songs, anyone?

Some of mine are Hummingbird, Ain't Nobody Home, Nobody Loves Me But My Mother, and When Love Comes to Town (w/U2). :cool:

B.B. King Plans One More World Tour
Thu Jan 19, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) - While other 80-year-olds might dust off their rockers, blues dynamo B.B. King will be rocking and rolling when he launches what he says will be his final world tour later this year.

King will begin an international "Farewell Tour" in March, part of a domestic tour that starts Feb. 16 in Chicago, King's publicist, Jerry Digney, said in a news release Wednesday.

King said he will continue to make U.S. concert appearances after the tour.

"I hardly remember I'm 80 unless I have to run up a hill or stairs," the singer and guitarist said . "As long as people buy my records and come to my concerts, I don't see anything else I'd like to do."

King has toured every year for 60 years, Digney said Thursday.

The musician celebrated his 80th birthday in September and released an album, "B.B. King & Friends "” 80," featuring Eric Clapton, Elton John, Sheryl Crow and other musicians.

A $10 million B.B. King museum is slated to open later this year in the Grammy winner's native Mississippi.

"I think the clock is ticking, yes," King said. "In fact, I know it is. Frank Sinatra sang about the September of (his) years. I think I'm in the November of my years."

I used to really be into the blues. All the guys who've been mentioned are great.

Blind Willie Johnson is another great. He was more of a gospel blues singer.

Elmore James is another all time great and favorite of mine.

blues...

come on....to those of you who wont go to graceland because 'its in a bad part of town'....well, ya just need to go, cast down yer fears and boldly go !
then head down to beale street.....and eat ya a rib or two at 'B.B.' club and listen to some live music....itll be ok.

when love comes to town.... my fav. bb king song.

love janis....oddly enough, we had our christmas eve dinner at 'threadgills' a place here in austin....which is where janis got her start....they even have a "janis room"
stevie ray is always in my truck cd player

austins 6th street is the best live music.......anywhere!
the "seedier" the better the music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back