Bahnsen and Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Kooshian

Puritan Board Freshman
Would someone be kind enough to either detail for me the differences between Bahnsen and Frame, or point me to some resources that do so?

Would someone be kind enough to either detail for me the differences between Bahnsen and Frame, or point me to some resources that do so?

Bahnsen held to a global TAG whereas Frame didn't (we can spell that out later). Frame was more critical of Van Til/Van Tillians in areas that Bahnsen didn't see the need for.

In Bahnsen's book on Van Til, he takes Frame to task at relevant parts. In Frame's book on Van Til, he complains of the tendency of Van TIllians (all reformed people, actually) to go on "movements."

More on this later.

Take up and listen
itunes.rts.edu

Go to the "theology" section. He teaches the courses on ethics/philosophy and apologetics. Towards the end of the apologetics section he interacts some with Bahnsen.

Here are some differences, perhaps
Bahnsen at the Stein debate
Bahnsen’s transcendental argument was carefully put together and eloquently stated: logic, the laws of nature, and the laws of morality make no sense unless God is presupposed. I confess I was not fully convinced that Bahnsen’s “transcendental argument” was as different from the arguments of Aquinas as he claimed. For I think the implication of Aquinas’s argument, too, is that at least one cannot account for the laws of nature without God. And I suspect that Aquinas would have said the same thing about logic and morality. Both Bahnsen and Aquinas believed, “without God, no logic, natural law, or moral law.” So the difference between Bahnsen and Aquinas needs to be spelled out further than was done in the Stein debate. Of course there was no time for such a methodological discussion in that context. Bahnsen and I later discussed our differences on that subject in various venues, and that discussion still continues among us years after Bahnsen’s untimely death. Before Bahnsen entered the hospital for the last time, we exchanged emails, reaffirming our friendship and mutual respect. The last words of his email to me, and the last I ever heard from him, were, “but I still disagree with you on the transcendental argument.” How typically Bahnsen, indeed.

Penultimate Thoughts on Theonomy
4. Both Bahnsen and Kline make broad, bold programmatic statements which they modify considerably in their detailed discussions. This happens to such an extent that in my opinion their bold programmatic statements do not really or fairly represent the views they are presenting. In actual fact, they are much closer together than their rhetoric would suggest. See my essay in the WTS volume Theonomy: a Reformed Critique.

Take up and listen
itunes.rts.edu

Go to the "theology" section. He teaches the courses on ethics/philosophy and apologetics. Towards the end of the apologetics section he interacts some with Bahnsen.

What a veritable flood of Frame lectures. It's about time, I say, but this is a bit daunting! I searched the entire Internet and only found one free lecture on music at the end. Now... many!

What a veritable flood of Frame lectures. It's about time, I say, but this is a bit daunting! I searched the entire Internet and only found one free lecture on music at the end. Now... many!

Ja, I downloaded the history of philosophy course and some of the ethics. But Itunes is...well, I won't say what it is, but suffice to say it cut me off about halfway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back