Basic Gospel Presentation Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericfromcowtown

Puritan Board Sophomore
To make a very long and overly dramatic story short, my sister-in-law has broken up with her boyfriend. Neither are Christians, but we quite liked the boyfriend and he had been encouraging her to go to church with him. I've decided to send him a few books to encourage him not to let the break-up throw him off from what is eternally important.

I'm going to send him Strobel's "The Case for Christ," and R.C. Sproul's "Essentials of the Christian Faith." Both are good first step books that keep things simple and are easy reads In my humble opinion.

I also wanted to send him a basic gospel presentation book. I had heard that Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" was good, but I am in the midst of reading it now and I am not impressed. Does anyone have any recommendations for an easy-to-read, basic presentation of the gospel?

Is Horton's book more a refutation of arminianism than a simple presentation of the gospel? Yes, I know that the two can be the same thing. I just don't want to confuse him with a lot of "they say A, but the truth is B."

To make a very long and overly dramatic story short, my sister-in-law has broken up with her boyfriend. Neither are Christians, but we quite liked the boyfriend and he had been encouraging her to go to church with him. I've decided to send him a few books to encourage him not to let the break-up throw him off from what is eternally important.

I'm going to send him Strobel's "The Case for Christ," and R.C. Sproul's "Essentials of the Christian Faith." Both are good first step books that keep things simple and are easy reads In my humble opinion.

I also wanted to send him a basic gospel presentation book. I had heard that Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life" was good, but I am in the midst of reading it now and I am not impressed. Does anyone have any recommendations for an easy-to-read, basic presentation of the gospel?

Right with God, by John Blanchard

Is Horton's book more a refutation of arminianism than a simple presentation of the gospel? Yes, I know that the two can be the same thing. I just don't want to confuse him with a lot of "they say A, but the truth is B."

I gave my copy away, so I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But, I remember it not being a refutaion of Arminianism, but rather a solid reformed explanation of the major components of the gospel.

There is nothing better than the book of Romans. I don't know if you can purchase it separate from the rest of the Bible though. I would push Romans and offer to help.

This is also a Piper Book very short and very good it's a great witnessing tool and very inexpensive you can get a case of 300 for 75 bucks,here is the link and somewhere on it you can read the PDF of it to see if it works for your needs

For Your Joy :: Desiring God Christian Bookstore

Right with God, by John Blanchard

:up: There is no finer gospel presentation in modern language in print. There is also his Ultimate Questions booklet, which serves as an excellent first read for those who know little to nothing about Christianity.

You may also want to consider giving your friend a book that explains the gospel by tracing the Bible's history of redemption. If you are interested in presenting the gospel by means of biblical theology, Vaughan Roberts' book God's Big Picture is one that I would highly recommend. I believe it's quite easy to read. The book shows how different parts of the Bible fit together under the theme of the kingdom of God, which culminates with salvation in Jesus Christ.

Amazon.com: God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible: Vaughan Roberts: Books

There is nothing better than the book of Romans. I don't know if you can purchase it separate from the rest of the Bible though. I would push Romans and offer to help.

I agree with Ken. The book of Romans. The gospel of John would be good as well. Afterall, they are God's Word...

Thank you for your suggestions. I think that the two John Blanchard booklets - Ultimate Questions and Right with God make the most sense in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back