While we may discern something of the nature and attributes of God from His revealed Word, we as finite creatures CAN NOT with absolute certainty and thoroughness DEFINE all that God is.
Our thoughts are not His thoughts, neither are His ways our ways. God is incomprehensible, yet He has condescended to reveal somethings about about Himself in the Holy Scripture.
I believe Bavinck is simply warning of the dangers of trying go beyond God's revealed truth. While it is permissible and possible to "describe God" (as He Has revealed Himself in His Word), it is not possible to "ultimately DEFINE God," for we are limited by what He has revealed about Himself. To go beyond that revelation is neither right or safe!
I have heard quotations from Bavinck that sounded antithetical to the idea that Christians can have any true knowledge of God at all. That "adequate knowledge of God does not exist" and the suchlike. He does not think that God can be defined, and that "he has no name". Such sentiments do not sound anything like our confessions, or (more importantly) like the Sacred Scriptures themselves, which give us "all that we need for life and godliness through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and virtue."
Anywho, this is all that I have ever heard of Bavinck, and I'm sure he was just trying to be pious, but I can't comment on the rest of his Systematic.
Cheers,
Adam
I may be wrong, but i believe Bavinck speaks particularly of the incomprehensibility of the very nature of God.
Yes, as I understand it, in a strict sense, we know God only by what he has been so gracious to reveal to us of Himself. As finite creatures it is not possible to know God as he knows Himself. That is not to say that what we know of God is deficient (meaning in error) in some way, but the fullness of our knowledge limited.