Best Commentaries or Notes on Deuteronomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Junior
What would you say are the best commentaries or even running notes for the fifth book of the Pentateuch?

Needs to:
- Bring out the gospel in the text
- Bring out the first & third uses of the law
- Be from a non-dispensationalist, Christian, Conservative, Protestant or patristic writer
- Be availble in English, or possibly some other Germanic language (Dutch, German, a Scandinavian language), but not exclusively in Latin

Preferably, it should:
- Apply the truths to the soul
- Be Reformed
- Have educated reference to Jewish opinions
 
John Calvin's sermons on Deuteronomy have been republished by Monergism in an easy to read (non facsimile) edition.
https://www.monergism.com/sermons-deuteronomy-ebook. There are two hundred sermons on the book.

It may not be everything you are looking for as criteria, especially concerning Jewish opinions, but for that you can supplement something like Gill's commentary on the whole Bible, which will often provide that.
 
Just checking back in to say that Luther's commentary is really good. He has a special knack for finding Christ in Deuteronomy, even where other, solid commentators do not. Whatever else you read, definitely read Luther as well.
 
John Calvin's sermons on Deuteronomy have been republished by Monergism in an easy to read (non facsimile) edition.
https://www.monergism.com/sermons-deuteronomy-ebook. There are two hundred sermons on the book.

It may not be everything you are looking for as criteria, especially concerning Jewish opinions, but for that you can supplement something like Gill's commentary on the whole Bible, which will often provide that.

After further reflection, I am actually looking for two things:

Something to read along the book, while going through it relatively quickly,
And reading material for after I finnish reading Bonar on Leviticus.

For the latter, I will probably take your advice.

I suspected that the replies to Jewish opinions may not be easy to find, especially along with the rest, and this is one of the reasons that it was listed as a preference and not necessity. While in my context this is an important component, I am well versed enough in Judaism to fill in gaps in that department.

Just checking back in to say that Luther's commentary is really good. He has a special knack for finding Christ in Deuteronomy, even where other, solid commentators do not. Whatever else you read, definitely read Luther as well.
What is the structure of Luther's commentary?
It is apparently availble as an ebook from Concordia.
 
Who are they?
Why would I prefer one of them? What are their benefits?
I am not saying "prefer them to the older guys." I am saying that having up to date, Reformed commentaries in addition to the good old commentaries, is a wise idea. Currid and Kelly were or are professors at RTS. Fernando is the only decent professor at Fuller, and is globally and evangelistically minded.
 
I am not saying "prefer them to the older guys." I am saying that having up to date, Reformed commentaries in addition to the good old commentaries, is a wise idea. Currid and Kelly were or are professors at RTS. Fernando is the only decent professor at Fuller, and is globally and evangelistically minded.
How are the ones you mentioned structured?
 
Currid and Kelly are more standard commentaries, organized by pericope, and more or less verse by verse. Fernando is sermonic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top