Best way to store supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
At the risk of sounding conspiritorial (I'm not, in one sens), what is the best way of stockpiling supplies?

*Guns
*Food
*Water
*Clothing
*Beer

?

Here is the reason I ask: Katrina hit the Coast really hard, and most weren't prepared. What is the best way to counter another disaster?

[Edited on 3--30-06 by Draught Horse]

Water has to be rotated, I'm told. It seems that beer would keep forever in a cool place if it's well-sealed to begin with. Most American beer is pasteurized so it isn't still "working" and there's probably no danger of explosion. If you went to a military surplus store you could get MRE's. I don't think you'd enjoy them, though.

[Edited on 3-30-2006 by turmeric]

Make sure you have at least 1 with ammo available

Can Food ... Store it away

Make sure you have at least 10 to 15 Gallons
Make sure to store it at floor level ... never on a shelf above anything else.

*Clothing

Be prepared to live with what is on your back.

:D Whatever You Can Hold In Your Stomach! :D

Seriously though! The only way you can guarantee that you have all the supplies you will need is to have a friend or relative who would be willing to house (store) all this stuff, in a state that these natural disaters do not occur in. Then, after you are hit, go and get them.

There really is no safe way to guarantee that you will have what you need after a natural disaster like Katrina. You could store it away, as safe as any human could, and it could still be wiped out.

Just my :2cents:

(I've dealt with hurricanes my whole life living here in Florida. Really, no matter how prepared you are, depending on the storm and God's providence, it might not be enough.)

Originally posted by crhoades
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Thanks everybody.
THe beer reference was a joke, btw.

Stick with bourbon or wine...they get better with age.;)

Single malt. You can use it as a disinfectant as well. It also doesn't take up much space.

At the risk of sounding conspiritorial (I'm not, in one sens), what is the best way of stockpiling supplies?

*Guns
*Food
*Water
*Clothing
*Beer
This is going to be very intriguing if you stop posting for awhile.

Originally posted by Scott

*Guns
*Food
*Water
*Clothing
*Beer
This is going to be very intriguing if you stop posting for awhile.

If you need to stockpile beer, just bring it with you when you come visit. I'll watch it for you! :lol:

BTW, best avatar on the board goes to you for the day!

It really doesn't have to be hard. I onced wintered, snowed completely in, for four months. My stock included a fair amount of canned meat, two bushels of wheat, a hand powered flour mill, two bushels of beans, and miscellanious dried fruit treats, a few bags of sugar, salt, pepper, and ketchep.

Water wasn't hard because there was a lake out front. I could always melt snow.

So don't forget to include some kind of cooking provision. Propane is nice, wood works but is a pain. Lots of matches.

I also had a Marlin 30-30 wit several hundred rounds, but there wasn't really anything to shoot.

During the Y2k paranoia, I had a friend stock up on $25,000 of supplies, including MREs and cases of canned water. He tried to get me to be worked up too. I responded by showing him a Berkey filter, (which removes bacteria and other nasties from water), a shelf full of Campbell's soup, and a plastic garbage can full of dried beans and another full of whole wheat. Total cost, including the water filter, was about $300. I knew I could survive for 4-6 months on that, supplemented by garden produce, even if I wasn't living very high on the hog. (I still have an arsenal, btw. Among other things, a Marlin camp rifle in 9mm is pretty useful as a small game gun. A thousand rounds of 9mm doesn't cost so much--it would get you through as long as you were not thinking of holding off an army).

As for beverages, just keep some wine always brewing. Drink as you go. No point in hoarding.

Vic

MREs are actually not bad (we used to raid our stash as kids...LOL...especially the chicklets).

The first rule of thumb though would be to not tell anyone you are stockpiling...ROTFL!

Jacob, one point of advice that my father gave me about people stockpiling food, water, gold, silver, anything was this: Make sure you've got a gun and ammo. If you've got the gun, you can get whatever else you need. Of course, my father was joking (and never advocated armed robbery of any sort), but I think it is a valid point. Make sure you've got enough ammo to get you through a couple of months worth of hunting and self-defense. After some of the things that happened in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina, the most important supply anyone could have had down there was a good rifle for self-defense.

Originally posted by sastark
Jacob, one point of advice that my father gave me about people stockpiling food, water, gold, silver, anything was this: Make sure you've got a gun and ammo. If you've got the gun, you can get whatever else you need. Of course, my father was joking (and never advocated armed robbery of any sort), but I think it is a valid point. Make sure you've got enough ammo to get you through a couple of months worth of hunting and self-defense. After some of the things that happened in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina, the most important supply anyone could have had down there was a good rifle for self-defense.

Thanks, Seth. Gary North (don't laugh) made the same point. If you have many supplies but the bad guy has a gun, guess who has the supplies at the end of the day? End of story.

Thanks Victor.

After some of the things that happened in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina, the most important supply anyone could have had down there was a good rifle for self-defense.

:up:

Originally posted by turmeric
Water has to be rotated, I'm told. It seems that beer would keep forever in a cool place if it's well-sealed to begin with. Most American beer is pasteurized so it isn't still "working" and there's probably no danger of explosion. If you went to a military surplus store you could get MRE's. I don't think you'd enjoy them, though.

What do you mean by "rotated"? Like getting new barrells every so often?

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
After some of the things that happened in New Orleans post-Hurricane Katrina, the most important supply anyone could have had down there was a good rifle for self-defense.

:up:

After Katrina someone posted the picture, "Drunks with Guns; You loot we shoot." Brilliant pic. I commented that this was the foundation of a free and just order and got some people livid. Of course, I responded, if you don't like this then you are more than welcome to embrace the alternative that is on the streets of New Orleans: savage gang warfare. Obviously, I wasn't too bothered by the criticisms.

If you have to make a run for it be sure to have an OPEN credit or debit card and copies of all your valuable papers. Cell phones, radios etc.

My husband and I each have a backpack with these things including bank account information in case we are separated. Its just not food, water, and guns.....

we also have an emergency pack for our dog as well as clean suits and bio hazard stuff.

Originally posted by turmeric

No, like drinking the water and replacing it with fresh so you don't have nasty water when you finally need it.

Here's some additional pointers.

[

Just roll the barrels around on the floor a few times. Should be good. :D

Really, what she means is that the water should be changed from time to time (six months is often recommended). Water can go bad, so to speak, unless it is sterilized. There's likely to be a little bacteria in it. The oxygen in the water helps keep that in check, but as it off gasses, the water becomes stagnant.

That's why the hard-core (and well-healed) survivalists often purchase canned water. It is sterilized. But really, a Berkey or Katadyne filter seems like a better value. You can drink out of a swamp or a creek with one of those.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemID=952&i1Cat=681&i2Cat=952&itemType=CATEGORY

Otherwise, a bit of chlorine or iodine will do in a pinch.

Vic

*Guns
*Food
*Water
*Clothing
*Beer

?

Here is the reason I ask: Katrina hit the Coast really hard, and most weren't prepared. What is the best way to counter another disaster?

[Edited on 3--30-06 by Draught Horse]

*Guns - always have the basic battery available. Additional guns are relatively easy to store, but if you're thinking long-term then put the metal parts in oil to prevent rust and seal in an airtight tube. And of course clean before use.

*Food - Buy the "Making The Best of Basics" book and learn to store what you eat, and eat what you store. MRE's are great, but not cost effective for those of us with families.

*Clothing - Be familiar with the locations of Goodwill and St. Vincent DePaul thrift stores. Once you have children like me, you can start purchasing stackable plastic tubs and identify stashes of clothes by gender and age. As the children get older, clothes that aren't worn out get placed back in the tubs for the next crop of children, others are discarded.

*Beer - Whiskey is better I think because it has a wider range of uses (emergency surgery, antiseptic, faster pain-relief). You should purchase two books - Where There Is No Doctor and Where There Is No Dentist. These have a number of uses for liquor in remedies and treatments that are good to be aware of.

Originally posted by victorbravo
Chad, I didn't see your post. Re the Lehman's reference, I guess we are thinking alike.

Vic

Yep, I love the Lehman's catalog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back