zsmcd
Puritan Board Freshman
In his A Compendious View of Natural and Revealed Religion , John Brown of Haddington says the following:
I am having trouble understanding the section that I italicized. He seems to be saying that it is absurd to believe that there is life at conception. Thoughts?
The human soul is immediately created by God in that very
act which unites it to its respective body. No man ever remembered
of his being in a pre-existent state, in which, had
it been, it behoved his unembodied soul to have been very active.
It is absurd to pretend, that it pre-existed in animalcules
of generating matter. The existence of such, or the formation
of the human body from them, hath never been proved; nor
can be, without supposing a stifling or extinction of millions of
souls in the conception of every infant.
I am having trouble understanding the section that I italicized. He seems to be saying that it is absurd to believe that there is life at conception. Thoughts?