Bowe Bergdahl update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
There have be several threads over the years ranging from prayer threads to updates including this one on on actions by the OPC General Assembly https://puritanboard.com/threads/what-the-opc-ga-said-with-respect-to-sgt-bergdahl.83686/ , so I thought I'd update the record here.

For background, he pled guilty to desertion, then appealed through proper channels. (which was denied).

He then filed a new action in United States District Court in 2021, which overturned his conviction in 2023. The United States Court of Appeals has now ruled that the District Courts lack jurisdiction to overturn military Courts Martial, and has remanded the matter back to the District Court. https://www.courthousenews.com/dc-c...sertion-court-martial-was-wrongfully-revoked/

Court's opinion is here https://media.cadc.uscourts.gov/opinions/docs/2026/09/24-5150-2190860.pdf
 
The family was, at one point OPC. I don't know their current affiliations.

The family's Presbyterian ties were one reason that the matter attracted attention on the PB, and from the OPC as a denomination.
 
Thank you, @Edward, for reminding us of this situation.

My recollection is that Bergdahl's father was a member of an OPC work that closed, and Bergdahl was a baptized member of the OPC, meaning he was "on the rolls" as a covenant child who had not professed faith. This is important and I have no desire to misrepresent.

Dr. Alan D. Strange, since you're the one who brought this up in a 2014 thread, if I'm wrong on this, or if there have been new developments, I wanted to make sure you were aware of this thread.

It appears to be a sad situation and the OPC was quite correct in asking for prayer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top