Brand New Book on Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all!

We really want to get this circulating in the CHURCH so that those who are not familiar can become familiar.

Pray that God uses it.

Just finished it. Great book! It really lays out the covenant concept first rather than jumping to baptism which is usually the mistake made and where the "walls" come up. In other words it lays out the ground work of the structure of redemptive history.

I ran into things to affirm what I've been seeing in my study of Scriptures independantly and then things "that clicked" that put in links I hadn't considered.

ldh

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Do you have a shortened version for Baptists without the infant baptism stuff?

Actually, the infant stuff is really about 5 pages of the book if that. It deals mostly with Covenant Theology overall. There should be much (most) that Baptists agree with in it.

I still don't get what's wrong with saying that the bond in blood is "sovereignly administered". I take it that Robertson is stressing that God himself dictates the terms of the bond, the promises and the curses, rather than us sitting at the bargaining table with him.

Could you elaborate?

Oh, no! I'm working my way through Robertson's book. Is he gonna make me a heretic?:barfy:

Will have to get yours next. Hopefully I can understand it!

Originally posted by turmeric
Oh, no! I'm working my way through Robertson's book. Is he gonna make me a heretic?:barfy:

He won't make you a heretic. He will make you wrong in his definitions.

I still don't get what's wrong with saying that the bond in blood is "sovereignly administered". I take it that Robertson is stressing that God himself dictates the terms of the bond, the promises and the curses, rather than us sitting at the bargaining table with him.

Could you elaborate?

Robertson is wrong. The Hebrew is both and. That comes from a failure to understand the Covenant of Works. Robertson blows that as well.

Finished mine a couple days after I recieved it. Good, although I must admit I am not a big fan of "dialogue" style writing...but the book was simple and the topic was well covered.

No. I have read "theology in dialogue" by Gerstner and some articles with the style...never really hit home with me.

Originally posted by webmaster
Originally posted by turmeric

He won't make you a heretic. He will make you wrong in his definitions.

Could you elaborate?

Robertson is wrong. The Hebrew is both and. That comes from a failure to understand the Covenant of Works. Robertson blows that as well.

I'm afraid that still doesn't help me. I suppose you're at the point where you're going to say that I'll have to read your book if I want to find out what you mean? Surely you're not saying that the covenants are somehow like the Treaty of Versailles or even like Appomatox? Just elaborate on your "Hebrew is Both/And."

I finished your book the other day Matt. Well done! This is something I can hand out to my congregants (as soon as I get of rid of the 'Presbyterianism')!

;)

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
Dear Friends,

Everyone has consistently asked about a simple book that could explain covenant theology. The fact is - there is no book that does. Some books are out there that have attempted to explain the basics, but they seem to always deviate from the orthodox formulations and redefine Covenant Theology overall. On the other hand, there are the Auburn Avenue and Federal Visionists who have twisted Covenant Theology into a theological mess. We need a book that explains simply and easily how biblical Covenant Theology works, while at the same time demonstrating the truth of the old formulations that have stood the test of time. Something clear, accurate and simple is needed for the laymen in the church.

Look no further.

By the request of Reverend Rick Phillips, Chairman of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, I have have written an historically clear, biblically accurate, and simple overview of Covenant Theology for the laymen.

It is currently available in book form at this link:
http://www.puritanpublications.com/Books/SimpleOverview.htm

Tell your pastors. Tell your friends. Tell those who have been inquiring. Covenant Theology does not have to be difficult. Here is a simple overview that remains biblically consistent, and true to the Westminster Confession of Faith.

Have you read Randy Booth's book on paedobaptism, which came out a few years ago? I realize that he's a theonomist (which I'm not) but, in the process of defending paedobaptism, he gives a pretty clear description of covenant theology. At least, I thought it was pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back