Business computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckdymond55

Puritan Board Freshman
Will be looking to upgrade some business computers this year. I do have specif specs:
Core i5 or equivalent
16gb ram (8gb if I have to)
Windows 10 of coarse
and would like a SSD but not a must

Not doing anything graphic heavy just several programs at the same time that are ram hogs.
Can anyone suggest a good site to get something like this Cheapish as my boss still wants to keep the budget for these as low as possible.

I got a refurbished i7 at pretty much i5 prices at Microcenter a few weeks ago. Camera is inferior to the year old A4 that I replaced. Both were HPs.

Microcenter prices were lower than the discounted corporate purchase deals I could get direct from Dell or HP. I also shopped Best Buy. Of course, this was a single purchase instead of a bulk buy.

Will be looking to upgrade some business computers this year. I do have specif specs:
Core i5 or equivalent
16gb ram (8gb if I have to)
Windows 10 of coarse
and would like a SSD but not a must

Not doing anything graphic heavy just several programs at the same time that are ram hogs.
Can anyone suggest a good site to get something like this Cheapish as my boss still wants to keep the budget for these as low as possible.
I’d recommend making ssd a nonnegotiable. Traditional HDs are a major bottleneck.

I got a refurbished i7 at pretty much i5 prices at Microcenter a few weeks ago.

That's pretty much what I would say too.

I own about 10 Dell workstations that cost about $2500 each. Fast Xeon multi-core processors. But since I standardized on a particular model, I looked for a used one recently and found it for about $350. Granted, our Dells are almost seven years old, but every one of them has been running 24/7/365 without a single drive failure. And I regularly run SMART on the drives because they must be near end-of-life. But they just keep going. I had added SSDs to several of them and high-end graphics cards. We all run at least two monitors, and three of the systems run three monitors.

When it's time to get new computers, I will get rocket ships. Mine has dual 3.46 GHz 6-Intel Xeons w. 12 cores & 128 GB of RAM. The new ones will have SSDs and fast processors and loads of RAM--But I will never buy brand new again. I will stick with Dell most likely. I figure I can get equivalent to a $5,000 system for under $2,000; We do CAD and 3D modeling for the construction industry.

Sorry to be so long-winded. :)

When it's time to get new computers, I will get rocket ships. Mine has dual 3.46 GHz 6-Intel Xeons w. 12 cores & 128 GB of RAM. The new ones will have SSDs and fast processors and loads of RAM--But I will never buy brand new again. I will stick with Dell most likely. I figure I can get equivalent to a $5,000 system for under $2,000; We do CAD and 3D modeling for the construction industry.

Sorry to be so long-winded. :)

I was going to ask what kind of work needs 128gb of RAM?!

That's pretty much what I would say too.
I did have to go with 10th Gen instead of 11th Gen. I'd be careful about going too many generations back. The $200 A4 actually met all of my processing needs; what it couldn't do was change tasks in a reasonable amount of time. The SSD is probably going to make more difference than the massively upgraded processor.

Here's the deal with the core i5 (were a franchise) and that is a "company" system requirements for the set up were looking to upgrade to.
If it were up to me I would have a completely different set up. I see what your saying about the SSD and will have to talk to the owner about that.
as he is the one im having trouble with .( hes the kind of user that has 3 pdfs 10 edge tabs 15-20 chrome tabs with teams open our software 3-4 folders open, and hasnt shut it off since 1845 )the old 4gb ram aint working.

I was going to ask what kind of work needs 128gb of RAM?!

This is the kind of stuff I get to play with all day. This model is going to be an assisted living center in New Jersey. I'm only about 75% done. My job is fun. It actually has a purpose. The colors ranging from deep red to dark blue show areas of excavation cuts and fills.
3Dbuild.png

Here's the deal with the core i5 (were a franchise) and that is a "company" system requirements for the set up were looking to upgrade to.
If it were up to me I would have a completely different set up. I see what your saying about the SSD and will have to talk to the owner about that.
as he is the one im having trouble with .( hes the kind of user that has 3 pdfs 10 edge tabs 15-20 chrome tabs with teams open our software 3-4 folders open, and hasnt shut it off since 1845 )the old 4gb ram aint working.
Trying to power through sloppy user habits is like trying to exercise through a bad diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back