Computer Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTB.SDG

Puritan Board Junior
Thorns and thistles...

My computer (apple) says I basically don't have any space left. What I'm really confused by is that if I go to "About this mac" it says I'm using 104 GB under my documents folder. But if I actually click on my documents folder, it's only 19 GB. Anyone have any ideas? Help!

Are you sure it is saying that it is 104 GB in your Documents folder, or just saying that 104 GB is used by the file category "Documents"?

I would go to your hard drive ("Macintosh HD" or something) and right-click it and then "info" to get how much storage is being used.

Next, open the drive up and start doing that same thing with each sub-folder to figure out which are the large ones.

Narrow it down until you find the offending files. I've run into my wife having project files for iMovie taking up a lot of space and they were no longer needed so I could just delete them and free up a lot.

Thanks, yeah. I'm still not sure what the deal was with the report of 100 plus GB in documents category. But since I've already got my photos backed up with google drive/photos, I decided to just go ahead and add them to a flash drive just to be super safe then delete them from my macbook. That freed enough space for me to stop getting the warnings that my storage was almost all used up. Thanks Logan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back