Campus Crusade for Christ name change...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caoclan

Puritan Board Freshman
...to "Cru"! I'll expose my hand here... they are removing Christ from their ministry name!!! I am so tired of this relevancy culture,"we have to be relevant, or reach people where they are at" (not limited to CCC, of course). It is just becoming a cult of relevancy, in my opinion. This is not a commentary on their past ministry practices, although, I'm sure we could build quite a thread, but they spent TWO YEARS coming to this decision!!! Preach the Gospel people, that is what those donations are for!!!:banghead:

Am I off-base here???

Christian Ministry Removing 'Crusade' From Name, Christian News

I agree with you. I have friends on staff and in my opinion, they are just labeling where they already have gone.

I say that as a person for whom CCC played a large part in true discipleship in my teens. (Of course, I was not reformed at that time either)

Sean, I agree, but it is the typical passe relevancy the church likes to go after, which is "let's be like the cool culture of five years ago." They are already irrelevant, because they implement passing away, or passed away fads from the culture at large. We need to do what we do, which is preaching Christ and Him crucified, which is already a stumbling block and foolishness. I want the foolishness of Christ, not the foolishness of the cultural fads.

...to "Cru"! I'll expose my hand here... they are removing Christ from their ministry name!!! I am so tired of this relevancy culture,"we have to be relevant, or reach people where they are at" (not limited to CCC, of course). It is just becoming a cult of relevancy, in my opinion. This is not a commentary on their past ministry practices, although, I'm sure we could build quite a thread, but they spent TWO YEARS coming to this decision!!! Preach the Gospel people, that is what those donations are for!!!:banghead:

Am I off-base here???

You are not off-base. Removing "Crusade" from the name does not mean that the word "Christ" has to be removed from the name. The ministry could have removed "Crusade" from the name without removing "Christ" from the name. They could have changed the name to "Christ Exalted on Campus Ministries" or "Christ Preached on Campus Ministries."

The article says, "Cru enables us to have discussions about Christ with people who might initially be turned off by a more overtly Christian name." My comment is that when you start talking about Christ, some people are going to be turned off anyway. Campus Crusade for Christ did not have to change their name.

The other messed up issue here is they did not even get rid of "Crusade," they just hipsterized it! (On a side note, for "hipsterized," I am now trademarking that word)

Sean, I agree, but it is the typical passe relevancy the church likes to go after, which is "let's be like the cool culture of five years ago." They are already irrelevant, because they implement passing away, or passed away fads from the culture at large. We need to do what we do, which is preaching Christ and Him crucified, which is already a stumbling block and foolishness. I want the foolishness of Christ, not the foolishness of the cultural fads.

Agreed.

One thing that not being said here is that they been calling themselves widespread in leadership “Cru” for close to ten years now, so this is nothing out of the blue. I know the article said that it started on “local level in the mid-90s,” but before I graduated college in 2002 I observed all of the CCC’s leadership calling formally the organization as “Cru” and some that I meant outside the state of Arizona as well. Also at the same time the Baptist Student Union was going through a name change as well to "Christian Challenge," manifested on their buildings not long after. What is being done in practice with the CCC is just becoming more official in 2012, which I thought it was already formalized based on some conversations I had about eight years ago from CCC staff. By the way for ministerial purposes I would not mind the dropping of the name “Crusade” because it can be a stumbling block to Muslims and some liberals in hearing Christ. And one more point, the proclamation of Christ on these college campuses should not be done (or at least not primarily) by parachurch organizations, but by the Church. I can go into that another time if one wishes.

David, I agree with the para-church point wholeheartedly, and I am confident it has been argued extensively on this board. THe church needs to step-up, in that sense. I have no problem with dropping "Crusade," but they did not do that, they just shortened it to Cru. They dropped Campus and, most ashamedly Christ.

I agree with you completely. I would be fine with just "Crusade" being removed, since I don't see the Pope giving plenary indulgences to Norman thugs in return for them going on a Near Eastern killing spree as biblical in any way, shape, form. The problem with this renaming to me is its inherent dishonesty (although I'm sure that wasn't their motivation--I'm not trying to falsely accuse). Bringing someone in with a name that has no Christian connotations, for them to find out later that it is a Christian organization, smacks of a bait-and-switch to me. Again, I don't mean to accuse them of deliberate dishonesty, I just feel that this is the logical conclusion.

You are not off-base. Removing "Crusade" from the name does not mean that the word "Christ" has to be removed from the name. The ministry could have removed "Crusade" from the name without removing "Christ" from the name. They could have changed the name to "Christ Exalted on Campus Ministries" or "Christ Preached on Campus Ministries."

The article says, "Cru enables us to have discussions about Christ with people who might initially be turned off by a more overtly Christian name." My comment is that when you start talking about Christ, some people are going to be turned off anyway. Campus Crusade for Christ did not have to change their name.

There used to be a Christian children's organisation in this country called just "Crusaders". Of course, they've changed the name, to something so lame I can't even remember what it is :(

The word "crusade" probably did have to go. It can be an unnecessary barrier to evangelism even among non-Muslims. That's partly because of how history has been interpreted. It's also an anachronism from the heyday of revival meetings when the word "crusade" got people excited. Not the case anymore.

I can also understand wanting to switch to something that was already being used informally. And "Christ," though a part of the official name, generally has not been used in informal speech anyway as long as I've known the organization. It's almost always shortened to "Campus Crusade" or just "Crusade" already. And I bet lots of people will continue to refer to it as "Crusade" for a while. You can change your name, but you can't get people to actually use it if they think it sounds dorky or too slick.

What's most interesting to me is the comment that not having an overtly Christian name makes initiating conversations easier. It's certainly true that many people become guarded when they realize they're talking to a pastor, campus staff worker, or even just a devout Christian. But hiding that too much starts to become bait and switch. Stealth evangelism, if taken too far, is just dishonest.

It is better than the Canadian version ''Power to Change''. Not really a big deal. A name is Just a name. All that changes who the name on
bad tshirts.

From the press release

"It acts as a barrier to the very people that we want to connect with. It’s also a hindrance to many Christians who would like to partner with us but find the word Crusade offensive," the ministry said in a statement.

So, over the last 60 years of claimed explosive growth of the organization, it has acted like a barrier?

Didn't Mr. Bright know he created a barrier with the name?

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

From the press release

"It acts as a barrier to the very people that we want to connect with. It’s also a hindrance to many Christians who would like to partner with us but find the word Crusade offensive," the ministry said in a statement.

So, over the last 50 years of claimed explosive growth of the organization, it has acted like a barrier?

Didn't Mr. Bright know he created a barrier with the name?

Matthew 10

32Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

33But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

40He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

41He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

When the organization declines in the medium term, will there be accountability for this decision?

Will there be any understanding?

"Cru is Dallas' premier wine bar. Conceived as an exciting urban destination "

I thought that the name sounded familiar. Locations in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Woodlands, Plano, Allen and Denver.

Hope the lawyers have vetted the trademark issues.

Am I off-base here???

Yeah, you are a little off base, actually.

I've been volunteer staff for Cru for about a year, and "Cru" is what people have been calling "Campus Crusade for Christ" for years, like... over a decade. That's multiple turn-overs of generations of students. Why? Because it is short, easier to say and has a catchy ring to it just like BK or KFC. Benefits of changing it is the fact that we don't like the crusades. They are a regretable time in the past and we can't ignore it, but we don't want to perpetuate the stereotypes for Christians. In fact, CCC has had to change the name of its ministry when going to many foreign nations because the Crusades are still in the minds of many Muslims and Jews and other nations that are post-Christian. It is very hard to share the gospel if we come in and they have bad connotations of Crusades coming to their minds as we are sharing the love of Christ. When you're unfamiliar, you don't know any better.

Also, gone are the days of Billy Graham. We need to change our minds about how we approach the nation and campus and thinking we're going to go "conquer". It isn't about that. So eliminating this from the name has the benefit of avoiding a TON of awkwardness in normal conversation.

As for removing the name of "Christ", that's just a cheap-shot and a misunderstanding. It has nothing to do with taking away the offensiveness of Christ or taking Christ out of the ministry. There are many ministries that don't have the word "Christian" or "Church" or "Christ" in their title and they share the gospel. We don't change our minds on whether they are discipling well or not.

But to reiterate, the fact of the matter is that CCC has been calling itself Cru for years informally, and unofficially. It's on stickers and t-shirts and flyers and stuff, packaged and repackaged for campuses. The ministry goals are the same. The methods are the same. The heart is the same. The name is different to reach more for the sake of the gospel, not watering it down. The two-years probably had to do with the fact that they weren't sure if changing it from Campus Crusade for Christ (official name) to Cru (unofficial name) would make such a huge difference in the US or not, or whether changing it would be justified for all the things that would still need to be changed, or... if people will misunderstand the name change and stop giving/donating out of their ignorance.

Other name changes?

Rather than the offensive "Calvinist" (e.g., Servitus, duh!) . . . "Cali" (advantage of being a double entendre for ever-hip California)
In place of the sectarian "Presbyterian" . . . "By" (pronounced "Bee" as in "be whatever you want to be")
"Reformed" sounds so stilted. Let's try "Formed" as in "She really has her act together. She is soooo 'formed.'"
Following up on Grand Rapids Rob's problem with "hell," maybe we could just say "Bell is swell" (it rhymes) or "heaven or . . . well . . . " (spoken with shrugged shoulders and a Steve Martin grimace)

There are many ministries that don't have the word "Christian" or "Church" or "Christ" in their title and they share the gospel.

InterVarsity Fellowship, for instance.

Also anyone who wants the church to be more involved on college campuses, I suggest that you (if you're PCA) take a look at RUF, the PCA's campus ministry.

In place of the sectarian "Presbyterian" . . . "By" (pronounced "Bee" as in "be whatever you want to be")

there's a neat euphemism for "Presbyterians" which we sometimes use in this house: "Britney Spears"..

(she may or may not be aware of it, but she has the good luck to be a perfect anagram)

comments below

Am I off-base here???

Yeah, you are a little off base, actually.

I've been volunteer staff for Cru for about a year, and "Cru" is what people have been calling "Campus Crusade for Christ" for years, like... over a decade.

That's news to many of us "on the outside," it is still popularly known as Campus Crusade for Christ. The last solicitation I received had that name... not sure what to do with an envelope that just said, "Cru."

That's multiple turn-overs of generations of students. Why? Because it is short, easier to say and has a catchy ring to it just like BK or KFC.

How then did Mr. Bright bring explosive growth to the organization since 1951 with the longer (not "catchy" name?) "Catchy" is for who in the Kingdom of God?

Benefits of changing it is the fact that we don't like the crusades. They are a regretable time in the past and we can't ignore it, but we don't want to perpetuate the stereotypes for Christians.

But since 1951, according to the organizations (earlier) reports and public relations, and its founder, it worked, and they were on a mission.

In fact, CCC has had to change the name of its ministry when going to many foreign nations because the Crusades are still in the minds of many Muslims and Jews and other nations that are post-Christian. It is very hard to share the gospel if we come in and they have bad connotations of Crusades coming to their minds as we are sharing the love of Christ. When you're unfamiliar, you don't know any better.

How has it worked since 1951? Is this a biblical example that prompted the change to a half century of practice? Did Jesus and the Apostles change their names to be less offensive (to unbelievers)- is that what they were concerned about?

Also, gone are the days of Billy Graham. We need to change our minds about how we approach the nation and campus and thinking we're going to go "conquer". It isn't about that.

How then was Billy Graham so successful, then? Was it about His approach- or did a sovereign God have something to do with the results? Or is this change about man's imagined "approaches" or techniques?

From a biblical, reformed perspective, Campus Crusade for Christ has been Arminian influenced, based on quick decisions, numbers, etc. which is all flawed biblically. But, a basic (and fearless) presentation of the Gospel remained, and God used it because it was hard to run from the idea, in the name even, to present the Gospel and ask for a response.

So eliminating this from the name has the benefit of avoiding a TON of awkwardness in normal conversation.

Is this really the biblical viewpoint?

Avoiding awkwardness for disciples in sharing their faith with unbelievers?

As for removing the name of "Christ", that's just a cheap-shot and a misunderstanding. It has nothing to do with taking away the offensiveness of Christ or taking Christ out of the ministry.

Yes, but symbolically, that is what has been done. This will not be lost on (critical) unbelievers. It actually places "Cru" members in a defensive position in explaining it to both believers and nonbelievers.

The new name does not represent center on Christ or getting people saved, like it or not.

There are many ministries that don't have the word "Christian" or "Church" or "Christ" in their title and they share the gospel.

Yes, there's a lot of that in the Bible, isn't there-
disciples avoiding naming Christ.

We don't change our minds on whether they are discipling well or not.

But to reiterate, the fact of the matter is that CCC has been calling itself Cru for years informally, and unofficially. It's on stickers and t-shirts and flyers and stuff, packaged and repackaged for campuses. The ministry goals are the same. The methods are the same. The heart is the same. The name is different to reach more for the sake of the gospel, not watering it down. The two-years probably had to do with the fact that they weren't sure if changing it from Campus Crusade for Christ (official name) to Cru (unofficial name) would make such a huge difference in the US or not, or whether changing it would be justified for all the things that would still need to be changed, or... if people will misunderstand the name change and stop giving/donating out of their ignorance.

Now, when the organization and the support goes down, who will be accountable?

Will there be endless discussion about how the approach is still not right, the recession, the climate on college campuses....

or about how people like myself who have supported Campus Crusade for Christ missionaries, now think twice about donating to a new organization called "Cru" so they can focus on emanating "coolness" to unbelievers?

I know this is strong and were I in your shoes, would not want to hear it. We all want confrontational biblical ministry on college campuses, just to compete with all the other groups and nut organizations doing the same thing.

(For two cents, my experience on college campuses- college students are not looking for subtlety.)

But the symbolism of this is just not biblical- it's about man, and we know, biblically, where that will go.

I guess I'll be one of the few folks that says "who cares." Let's wait until they show some actual bothersome signs, rather than get worked up about an innocuous name change.

Organizations (including non-profits) pay serious money to marketing firms to handle their rebranding. By keeping the cross in their logo, they are probably not running from "Christ" but from the negative associations with the word "crusade."

Missiologists have been pushing their organizations to change the nomenclature from "missions" to "intercultural studies" for similar reasons.

I'd be more concerned about the non-Reformed reductionism of the Cru approach to "salvation" rather than with their cutesy name.

It actually is InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, although, yes, on the FSU campus we generally just said "InterVarsity."

The thing I really appreciated about RUF when I was in college was that it was under the authority of a local church, as opposed to the para-church model we so often see.

InterVarsity Fellowship, for instance.

Also anyone who wants the church to be more involved on college campuses, I suggest that you (if you're PCA) take a look at RUF, the PCA's campus ministry.

Many churches, including my own, do not bear the word 'Christ' in the name.

Many churches, including my own, do not bear the word 'Christ' in the name.

Again, duh . . . you're in California. :lol:

I get great heartburn over the silly rebranding efforts of marketing consultants. In my area, a retirement community chain dropped the Christian "denominational" name from their moniker in favor of the generic "Be" (as in "be" whatever you want to be). Funny, they were supposedly a "Presbyterian" ministry! Now they can include Jews and Asian faiths without turning them off by the Christian name.

When we "rebranded" our retirement home a couple of years ago, we went to a more overtly Christian tag line. When the L.A. County fair housing folks threatened to sue us over religious discrimination, our Jewish attorney had to use the same line of reasoning that she had successfully utilized in defending the "Jewish Home" from the same charges.

"Cru" is a pretty silly rebranding. But, betcha it cost them a lot of money to dream up. I was willing to concede that it was probably innocent (my earlier post) until reading the secular press reports about it where the Cru people were quoted as defending their efforts on the grounds that the word "Christ" turns off non-Christians.

Sellers said researchers found that 9 percent of Christians and 20 percent of non-Christians were alienated by the name Campus Crusade for Christ.
“We felt like our name was getting in the way of accomplishing our mission,” said Steve Sellers, the vice president for Campus Crusade, noting that the ministry will still be committed to “proclaiming Christ around the world.”

As for removing Christ from their name, the Campus Crusade for Christ website states:
“We were not trying to eliminate the word Christ from our name. We were looking for a name that would most effectively serve our mission and help us take the gospel to the world. Our mission has not changed. Cru enables us to have discussions about Christ with people who might initially be turned off by a more overtly Christian name. We believe that our interaction and our communication with the world will be what ultimately honors and glorifies Christ.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back