Can a Methodist be Reformed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomVols

Puritan Board Freshman
No, seriously :p

I wonder this because I've bumped into Reformed folks in all denoms, and one or two have been UMC. Now this question is two-sided:

Can a Reformed person be UMC?

Would the UMC tolerate a Reformed minister, specifically?

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
 
No. Having grown up in the UMC, and having pursued ordination, I do not see a Reformed person operating within the UMC. Either he'd be pushed out, or simply not ordained.

Now can a Reformed person be Methodist? Yes, the first were. Whitefield and Methodism were synonymous originally, and that meant Calvinist.
 
I also grew up in the Methodist church:

1) No.
2) No. Calvinistic doesn't necessarily mean reformed. Plus the guy mentioned in post 2 would probably be kicked out of the Methodist church today.
 
Last edited:
Not really. When I was in seminary, I knew a few Methodists who (by the time they were finished) came to a more Reformed understanding of the Scriptures, but I'm not sure they were necessarily Reformed, however.
 
We do have a minister on the PB who is Reformed. He holds to the Westminster. He is Covenantal and a Paedo baptist. I am sure he is Reformed and operating in the UMC in which he was ordained.
 
Yes, like George Whitefield.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

The UMC has placed a moratorium on its candidates attending Gordon-Connell Theological Seminary, probably most likely to prevent just that.
 
Here is Pastor Lance Marshall's bio. I hope I am not crossing any lines here posting his bio.

I am an ordained elder in the United Methodist Church, and I have served as a pastor in that denomination for 30 years. I grew up Methodist and entered the ministry through the UMC and my M.Div. is from a UMC seminary. In 1986 as an active duty chaplain in the U.S. Army, I bought Boice's Foundations and started to become Reformed. By 1988 the change had become complete as I returned to civilian life. At that point I had to decide whether to stay UMC or transfer my credentials to a Reformed church (it would have been PCA). After a long period of prayer and seeking the council of other believers, I came to the realization that God was calling me to stay in the UMC. So, I came to view myself as missionary to the UMC. I remained so I could preach the gospel in a denomination that doesn't hear it much anymore. The road has been tough and very frustrating at times, but what mission field isn't that way. To be one of only a few Calvinists in the UMC is professionally dangerous and I have felt the persecution at times from my superiors. As an outlet of my Reformed theology, I started a webpage on which I could post what are for me the more helpful Reformed writings, in hopes they would be a help to others. Understandably, my main interest in the debate with and refutation of Arminianism; this is a center point of my webpage LG Marshall.

I have a lot of admiration for him. He is United Methodist and Reformed. In fact he would be considered Reformed much more than I would be because I am a not a paedo baptist.
 
Whitfield and The Doctor were both Calvinistic Methodists
Calvinistic Methodists
My intitial thoughts were of the Doctor and Whitefield.

I know Will Willimon writes for Modern Reformation, and there's little he writes I don't appreciate. His blurb in Christianity today about Mother's Day observances in worship services being "fluff, where we have too much sentimental fluff to start with" was like something you'd hear a good Reformed brother say :) I don't know about his views personally.

Some groups have reformed factions in them (like the SBC's Founders group, and maybe one in the ABC/USA). Does the UMC have one?
 
Reformed theology is, at minimum

doctrines of grace ("five points") + covenant theology + confession

Methodists today have something of a covenant theology (e.g. they infant baptize), but they are almost entirely, Arminian in soteriology. Whitfield and Wesley split over these points. Nor do they have a substantial historic confession (a few points) but no systematized confession.

So, no, officially at least, it is not a reformed denomination.
 
May a Methodist (a person belonging to a Methodist church) be Reformed? (eg. agree with PB's standards) Yes. Unless you are willing to say that no Methodist is following biblical Christianity.
Is the Methodist church (=denomination) Reformed? No. Others would have to say if it's Reformed-friendly or not.
 
George Whitefield was a street preacher. The Methodist Church was blessed through Whitefield, but Wesley is behind the theology at the UMC and really not Wesleyian anymore
 
One of my dearest sisters in the faith is a member of the UMC and almost more reformed than I am. She holds strongly to the doctrines of grace and mourns the sad spiritual condition of her denomination. To date, I have not found one point of theology on which we disagree. When I first met her, and she told me she was Methodist, I shuddered. After spending several hours a week in her company the last several months, I've discovered how wrong I was.

Where did she learn her theology? From reading the Scriptures and trusting God to teach her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top