Can Anyone ID This

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird0827

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Can any of you nature experts tell what species this snake is?

My brother-in-law found this on their property. They were wondering if it might be a copperhead (common in that area) but I question that because I'm not seeing the "hourglass" pattern.

???

_MG_6601.jpg
 
It’s definitely not a Coral Snake, my guess is that it is a kind of water snake. It could be a copperhead since that looks like it is within the color variation of the copperhead species.

James is right, we need a head shot to give you a positive identification.
 
Don't know but the Copper heads around here are darker colored. They aren't orange and red. They are greyish, brownish, and copper colored more than orange and red.

copperhead.jpg
 
Looks kind of like a dead snake.

:rofl:

I've been thinking the same thing all day....

I would have said that great minds think alike, but my mind is not fit to untie the shoes of Pastor Doug's mind. ;)

Believe me, James, there's not a whole lot to untie! Sometimes I feel like my mind is barefoot.

BTW, I thought about the dead snake comment when I first saw it, but it took me about 3 hours to decide to finally put it in.
 
Can't be a corn snake, corn snakes have smooth, shiny scales, this one has keeled scales. It is a little dark for a copperhead though.
 
This is definitely NOT a copperhead. I have seen many of them, and it doesn't resemble it in anyway. Where does your brother live?
 
If you can't supply a picture with the head, I will go home and look it up in some of the snake books that I have in my library. And as J Baldwin asked, a city and state where it was found would be nice. This is kinda fun, like solving a mystery.
 
After some further checking, I think Beth Ellen is most likely correct. Also, it looks like red racer and corn snake are related. And corn snakes are native to the area where the photo was taken (coastal SC).

Good copperhead photo BTW Credo.

JJS
 
Corn snakes are black and white on the belly (at least the ones around here upstate SC). I would vote for the red racer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top