Christian Progressive Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVigneault

Bawberator
Are there any fans of Neal Morse on the PB. I'm a big DreamTheater fan. Neal Morse is a former member of Spock's Beard and Transatlantic until he became a christian. He and Mike Portnoy of DreamTheater are really tight and Mike (greatest living drummer today) has played on just about all of Neal's albums.

On his most recent album "?", Neal has brought together Portnoy, also Jordan Rudess of DreamTheater (greatest living keyboard player) and legendary Steve Hackett from the original Genesis. It is stellar musianship. Neal is a musical genius and I can't describe him without shamelessly gushing. You can check out some of his music on his website.

http://www.nealmorse.com/audio.asp

On another album Neal plays with legendary Phil Keaggy and Kerry Livgren. This is an aural smorgabord. I'm breathless, gotta go lie down and listen to some music.

Have you seen my avatar? :cool:

I'll wrestle you for the title of Official PB Prog Nerd.

Neal Morse w/ Spock's Beard was one of the best musicians of our time. Sadly, I can't be so enthusiastic about his post conversion work. Testimony was pretty good, One was rehash, and I have yet to hear "?", but the whole temple concept makes me weezy.

That said, I love this man to death and he is one of my favorites. Transatlantic's Bridge Across Forever is in my top 5 CDs. Of the spock's stuff, I love Beware of Darkness and V, with Day for Night being another favorite. Not really a huge fan of the post-Neal Spock's material though, although I do like Nick as a singer.

I would highly recommend the new Transatlantic DVD "Making of Bridge Across Forever" if you enjoy watching the creative process. Also has the whole Live in America concert from the first SMPTe tour.

Neal is a musical genius and I can't describe him without shamelessly gushing. You can check out some of his music on his website.

I know what you mean. It is very hard to describe the genius of Neal Morse. Most people in the world will never get it. But I content myself that the few of us who do are the truly priveleged. :banana::banana:

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by bradofshaw]

hmmmm...

You guys have piqued my curiosity of this guy. I've never heard of him or any of those bands (other than Dream Theater and Genesis) either. But he must be pretty good if he's playing with those players you mentioned (and Keaggy (who is pretty amazing) and Livgren too).

Is he a guitarist?
Who is that avatar a picture of???

Christopher,

If you like (early) Genesis or Dream Theater (can't tell from your post if you do or if you've just heard of them), you will probably appreciate Neal Morse's work. He is an amazing musician. Disgregard the fact that you will immediately compare his voice to Michael W. Smith, you'll get past that. Aside from being an incredible singer, he mostly plays keyboards, but he is also proficient on guitar and bass. He is an extremely gifted arranger. The way all the parts fit together in his music is so excellent.

WARNING: many people consider this type of music pompous, self indulgent, and overwraught. It is not for people without a sense of humor. If the idea of a 25 minute song scares you, I wouldn't recommend this. :bigsmile:

As I said, his style seems to be getting kind of formulaic with his last three solo albums. But if you are interested, I would recommend getting the second Transatlantic album Bridge Across Forever. For his Christian material, check out Testimony. It is the best of his solo cds (haven't heard the new one though). If you like either of those, you can't go wrong with any of the Spock's Beard CDs (at least the ones with Neal still in the band). Sadly he quit both Spock's and Transatlantic after he became a Christian.

While his trademark is long intricate progressive rock, he also writes fantastic 3 minute pop songs. Spock's Beard is the best place to find those.

The guy from my Avatar is the drummer for Spock's Beard (and now the lead singer too), Nick D'virgilio. He's a great talent, up there with Portnoy for chops and versitility, and a great singer too. He's played with Genesis, Kevin Gilbert, Mike Kenealy, Fates Warning, and Tears for Fears as well.

Thanks Brad.

I've been looking for some of Genesis' early stuff (w/Peter Gabriel) lately just to give a listen. It's been a real long time since I've even heard some of that stuff (like the Seconds Out live lp). Actually, Genesis was one of the best concerts I ever saw (and I've seen a lot) even when Phil Collins was fronting the band back in the early 80's.

I've only heard a little bit of Dream Theater over the years. I just picked up their "Awake" cd a few weeks ago. I've read so much good press about Petrucci that I figured I owed it to myself to start checking them out.

Perhaps I'll stumble across Dr. Spocks Beard in my travels(???)...

Spock's Beard is phenomenal......Do I dare mention King Crimson in this prog post? I will be going to Nashville in July to see Adrian Belew and robert Fripp perform:D......I saw Yes and The Alan Parsons Project in Concert once....does this make me certifiably PROG!!!!!!

Spock's Beard is phenomenal......Do I dare mention King Crimson in this prog post? I will be going to Nashville in July to see Adrian Belew and robert Fripp perform:D......I saw Yes and The Alan Parsons Project in Concert once....does this make me certifiably PROG!!!!!!

You my friend, are most definitely certifiably prog! That Belew Fripp show should be pretty interesting as I hear they are supposed to be showcasing what will become the "next generation" of King Crimson material.

I've been looking for some of Genesis' early stuff (w/Peter Gabriel) lately just to give a listen. It's been a real long time since I've even heard some of that stuff (like the Seconds Out live lp). Actually, Genesis was one of the best concerts I ever saw (and I've seen a lot) even when Phil Collins was fronting the band back in the early 80's.

I love both early and later Genesis. From the Peter Gabriel era, I would recommend Foxtrot (it's the essential Genesis album with Watcher of the Skies and Supper's Ready) or Selling England by the Pound. I'm amazed by how fresh the early Genesis albums still sound. A very unique, timeless musicality. My favorite of the original Progressive bands.

Puritans and Progressive Rock: a winning combination

:pilgrim: :sing: :banana:

believe it or not.....

I actually enjoy SOME of the eighties Genesis stuff w/out gabriel. Very poppy and the lyricism is often weak, but still ok sometimes....thx for certifying my progness!

Yeah, there was a lot of fluff during the Phil Collins era, but there were still some great prog and pop moments: Second Home by the Sea, Abacab, Dodo/Lurker, Domino, No Son of Mine. I actually grew up a huge Phil Collins fan. One of my guitly pleassures I guess. (I do like a lot of non-progressive music)

To put the topic a little bit back on track, another Christian progressive group that is pretty interesting (although I don't own any of their stuff) is Echolyn. Also, early King's X was sort of Christian progressive rock.

[Edited on 6-12-2006 by bradofshaw]

Originally posted by bradofshaw
The guy from my Avatar is the drummer for Spock's Beard (and now the lead singer too), Nick D'virgilio. He's a great talent, up there with Portnoy for chops and versitility, and a great singer too. He's played with Genesis, Kevin Gilbert, Mike Kenealy, Fates Warning, and Tears for Fears as well.

Brad,

I thought your avatar was that of John Myung, Dream Theater's bassist.

I saw Mike kenealy w Steve Vai...He was much more entertaining than Vai...he also played w Robert fripp during the opening of the show..Kenealy also has a band w the coolest band name ever; Beer for Dolphins!

Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins rules!! Their album Dancing is absolutely fantastic! It sounded really wierd at first, but after a while it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Brilliant comositions and arrangements! Keneally is great. Zappa meets Steely Dan meets Phish. Great stuff!!

Brad,

Avatar changed since then. I had had Nick up their for a while when I found that cool pick of Myung. :cool:

[Edited on 6-26-2006 by bradofshaw]

Originally posted by bradofshaw
Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins rules!! Their album Dancing is absolutely fantastic! It sounded really wierd at first, but after a while it just hit me like a ton of bricks. Brilliant comositions and arrangements! Keneally is great. Zappa meets Steely Dan meets Phish. Great stuff!!

Brad,

Avatar changed since then. I had had Nick up their for a while when I found that cool pick of Myung. :cool:

[Edited on 6-26-2006 by bradofshaw]
Myung's a good bassist. Not as good as Geddy Lee (aka Gary Lee Weinrib), but still worth a good listen or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back