Church Membership in the Worship Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller

Puritan Board Freshman
When a person goes from being a non-communicate member to a communicate member should that be part of the worship service? How does it fit into the regulative principle? How does it fit into the dialogical principle?

In some presbyterian denominations, the communicate members takes vows in front of the congregation.

Oaths and vows are an aspect of worship, regulated by Scripture.

THE WESTMINSTER CONFESSION OF FAITH

CHAP. XXI. - Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day.

5. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear, the sound preaching and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence, singing of psalms with grace in the heart; as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God: beside religious oaths, vows, solemn fastings, and thanksgivings upon special occasions, which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.

Baptist have historically included the reception of members in the public worship of the church. We refer to it as extending the "right hand of fellowship" (Gal. 2:9). The practice varies from church to church. Some use membership vows, some will corporately recite the Church Covenant, and some churches will ask the potential members to give a brief testimony of their conversion. Then generally, the whole congregation will come by welcome the new brother with a hand shake or hug. In our church I will have the new members stand with me at the front door of the church as the people leave and they can greet them on the way out. Needless to say, I think its a fine practice.

What would be an example in scripture of oaths and vows being taken in worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back