Classic Movie Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are interested in history

Berlin Express

filmed in part on location in post war, pre wall Berlin.

Maybe I'm just too shallow, but I'd rather reach up and pull my skin off of my face than to watch Citizen Kane again...

I just read a biography of Clark Gable, and wish now I hadn't.

It is better to just stick with watching the old films, rather than reading about the making of the movies and learning the truth about their "stars!"

Rhett Butler will never be the same . . . :rolleyes:

I agree, Joshua!

"Dumb and Dumber" is in the same genre of classics as "The Jerk" and "Caddyshack!"

They just don't make 'em like these any more . . .

'The Searchers' - Best. Western. Ever.

[video=youtube;woahas_W35A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woahas_W35A[/video]

Title of "Best Western Ever" for me goes to Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. "If you're going to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!"

George Bailey said:
Maybe I'm just too shallow, but I'd rather reach up and pull my skin off of my face than to watch Citizen Kane again...

Ouch! Go and insult one of my favorite directors, why don't you?

Anyone besides me a fan of Hitchcock's films?

It Happened One Night - won all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, and Screenplay) in 1934. It will make you laugh, cheer, cry (not that I cried). It's seriously a great film.

----
Oh, I see Wayne just beat me to it! I guess it shows he has good taste in movies.

I am very glad that you did not cry.

I don't think this is a classic, but I recently caught Pu 239 on the television. It was just epic sadness, despair, and hopelessness.

It will make you run and hug your wife, thanking God for everything He's given you. Nice film. :)

A lot of great suggestions.

Casablanca I second, third, fourth, and however many it takes to say that it is the greatest movie ever made.

Also, as addition to the lists:

13 Rue Madeleine
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Both James Cagney films, two completely different genres. Both really good.

Metropolis* ^- Fritz Lang's capstone work
The General* - Buster Keaton at his best
Steamboat Bill, Jr* - Buster Keaton
Way out West - My family's favorite Laurel and Hardy film, hilarious
It a Gift - My favorite W.C. Fields movie
The Pharmacist - My wife's favorite W.C. Fields movie, and a close second in my opinion to "It's a Gift"
You can't take it with you - Frank Capra Director
Holiday Inn - Funny "musical" (there's music, but it doesn't tell the story) with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. It's not a "Christmas Movie"
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Audrey Hepburn, need I say more?
Funny Face - Audrey Hepburn
Sabrina - Audrey Hepburn AND Humphrey Bogart!!!! This movie was a timeless classic the day it was cast!

* Silent Films
^ There are a number of versions because part of the film was lost and, over time, recovered. The Georgio Morodor version has some of the most interesting music and the editing is neat. Unfortunately, so much was still lost that the story is almost unrecognizable in more complete versions. Morodor was the composer for movies like The Neverending Story.

The best version, in my opinion, is the 2002 release. It is the most complete version with the best attempt made to digitally overlay the original music (as best as it could be pieced together). Word on the web is a complete film was found in the basement archives of a museum in Argentina and will be released on my wife's birthday this year.

It is better to just stick with watching the old films, rather than reading about the making of the movies and learning the truth about their "stars!"

Whoa, Ronda! Did you just read "Uncommon Knowledge," by any chance? I just picked that up on our last visit to John King Books in Detroit. It was a page-turner, but reading about how Clark Gable and Loretta Young conceived this dear little girl in 1935 (while making "Call of the Wild" together) and then how both neglected and abused her... I wish I hadn't read this book, but it was juicy. (Note to Self: Philippians 4:8!) I think much less than I did before of Gable - and Loretta Young was one horrible person.

Margaret

Whoa, Ronda! Did you just read "Uncommon Knowledge," by any chance? I just picked that up on our last visit to John King Books in Detroit. It was a page-turner, but reading about how Clark Gable and Loretta Young conceived this dear little girl in 1935 (while making "Call of the Wild" together) and then how both neglected and abused her... I wish I hadn't read this book, but it was juicy. (Note to Self: Philippians 4:8!) I think much less than I did before of Gable - and Loretta Young was one horrible person.

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

The title of the book I read was "Long Live The King" by Lyn Tornabene, which only mentioned a brief romance between Gable and Young, but nothing like what you describe! That is truly horrible stuff.

Philippians 4:8 is an excellent reminder.

Unfortunately, I am a compulsive reader to the point of weakness. I have trouble resisting reading the back of the shampoo bottle every time I shower . . .

Bald_Brother said:
There are a number of versions because part of the film was lost and, over time, recovered. The Georgio Morodor version has some of the most interesting music and the editing is neat. Unfortunately, so much was still lost that the story is almost unrecognizable in more complete versions. Morodor was the composer for movies like The Neverending Story.

I would actually wait to see this one for the following reason: last year, a complete print of Metropolis turned up in an archive in Brazil and is currently in the process of being restored and should be released sometime later this year.

Anything by Hitchcock. Particularly worthwhile (In my humble opinion) are:

Frenzy (1972)
Topaz (1969)
Torn Curtain (1966)
The Birds (1963)
Psycho (1960)
North by Northwest (1959)
Vertigo (1958)
Rear Window (1954)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Rope (1948)
Saboteur (1942)
Suspicion (1941)
Rebecca (1940)
Sabotage (1936)

I enjoyed the following
Captain Blood (1935)
Unconquered (1947) Really Good Movie In my humble opinion
Sergeant York (1941) Troublemaker from Tenn. Finds the Lord, Becomes Pacifist, then WW1 Hero.
Battleground (1949) Has the Original 101st Airborne in it...
Paths of Glory (1957) True Story WW 1 French Scandal
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
Battle of the Bulge (1965) Epic WWII
Sink the Bismarck! (1960)
The Longest Day (1962)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Dangerous Journey 1961 (Cartoon Adaptation of Pilgrims Progress)
Cromwell (1970) Epic
Gods And Generals (2003) VERY good EPIC Story of Civil War
Anne of Green Gables (1985)
Little House on the Prairie THE PILOT NOT SERIES Very Epic Movie
How the west was won (1962) Discretion advised as some women are not Modestly Dressed. Epic Long Movie

Little House on the Prairie THE PILOT NOT SERIES Very Epic Movie

A point of trivia:

My husband and I recently (for the past 20 years) owned, worked, and lived on a ranch directly across the common road from the ranch where that pilot was filmed.

We spent much time helping to feed our neighbor's cattle upon that working land, from hay stored in the old barn used in those shots.

Real and fun stuff . . .

Ronda, I'm trying not to envy you -- not the Little House on the Prairie connection, but the fact that you lived in such a setting and fed cattle and went into old barns. I love cattle.

Pilgrim Standard said:
Gods And Generals (2003) VERY good EPIC Story of Civil War

I actually preferred Gettysburg (despite the profanity) because Martin Sheen just got so much more into the character of Lee where, though he definitely looked the part more, Robert Duvall was just mediocre. Also, though Jackson is one of my favorite figures from that period, the fact is that Gettysburg is just plain more compact and doesn't try to cover so much in so little time.

Maybe I just overanalyze :D

Bald_Brother said:
There are a number of versions because part of the film was lost and, over time, recovered. The Georgio Morodor version has some of the most interesting music and the editing is neat. Unfortunately, so much was still lost that the story is almost unrecognizable in more complete versions. Morodor was the composer for movies like The Neverending Story.

I would actually wait to see this one for the following reason: last year, a complete print of Metropolis turned up in an archive in Brazil and is currently in the process of being restored and should be released sometime later this year.

Almost complete is actually the best way to describe it. There is, If I recall correctly, about one minute that, although there, is damaged and unable to be fully restored. Anyhow, the due date is April 22, 2010 for a single showing of the remastered film at the 1st Annual Turner Classic Film festival (all 210 minutes!). Unfortunately, no decision has yet been made whether or not to release it in full on DVD or to include the rediscovered scenes as extra features. All marketing, I guess. But, from what I read the digital mastering will take some time and it may not be available to the public until 2011 or later. Either way, I am waiting anxiously. I love the versions I have and really want to see a completed story to fill in the sometimes confusing story lines.

Ronda, I'm trying not to envy you -- not the Little House on the Prairie connection, but the fact that you lived in such a setting and fed cattle and went into old barns. I love cattle.

Probably off topic, but I also became newly educated and endeared to the bovine species, during our years on the ranch . . .which was first dedicated to horses . . .Saddlebreds, specifically . . .but later included breeding Herefords and Angus cattle.

Most ranchers, wisely, do not personalize their stock, but I used to name every calf, colt, and filly, born under our care.

Cattle, both domestic or range (wild), rival humans and the equine species pertaining to devotion to their young!

Cows are the best example of loving motherhood God created in this world!

There is NOTHING like the three days that follow weaning mother cows from their calves.

No one in the neighborhood sleeps, due to the sad bellowing . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back