Commentaries- general help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmdowns

Puritan Board Freshman
What current commentary series would you recommend looking into? Homiletic/Exegetical combo. Would it be best to discard the mindset of keeping with a specific series and attempting to build a library based on different authors from different series? If so, any recommendations? I know it's a very broad question, but I'm starting from close to scratch!

I have the entire Tyndale set and started on the New International Commentary and Word Bible commentary sets as well as a few volumes from the NIV Application set.

I would love some recommendations as well, I actually don't have any commentaries. I normally mooch from my church or I use E-Sword or Study Bibles.

It is probably most cost efficient to buy commentaries individually rather than in sets because each set has strong points and weak points. However, sometimes booksellers will have such good deals on sets that you can't pass them up.

A Guide to Biblical Commentaries

I haven't gotten my hands on this yet, but I knew John and his wife when he was in seminary. This is likely to be very good.

In general, I think you are better off making individual selections. Different scholars have varying strengths.

DA Carson has a commentary survey book out that recommends ones for NT study and Tremper Longman III has one for OT

Amazon.com: New Testament Commentary Survey (9780801031243): D. A. Carson: Books

Amazon.com: Old Testament Commentary Survey (9780801031236): Tremper Longman III: Books

Also, How to Read the Bible Book by Book is a great (very basic) intro to all the books of the Bible

Amazon.com: How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour (9780310211181): Gordon D. Fee, Douglas Stuart: Books

I've been following the recommendations of the PB's own Rev Keister and he has not led me astray yet. First, here is the list of commentaries more suitable for laity. This list is perhaps more for the seasoned student of the bible. Then you also have John Piper's recommendations and lastly here is a list of commentaries recommended by Keith Mathison. If following those recommendations, I doubt you will waste money on a bad commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back