PREACHING THE WORD SERIES COMMENTARIES by R. Kent Hughes, General Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read any myself, but the authors (R. Kent Hughes, Philip Ryken, Iain Duguid, Ray Ortlund, Jr., Bryan Chappell, Rodney Stortz) are all reformed.

Most of them are really good, but I didn't like the parts of the Genesis one I read. It seemed like he was dodging the passage and his applications were really good, but didn't touch on the passage. But that's just a one time look at one part of one book.

They are now available in the logos format for the PC. They also have them available in individual volumes. I have the Romans and Isaiah volumes. I really appreciated Ortlund on Isaiah.:2cents:

I don't know that I would call them formal commentaries, they really are just a series of sermons on that particular book. At least it looks that way from the volume that I own, which happens to be Duguid on Numbers. I was there when he preached most of those sermons, and what the book contains is basically an edited transcript of them. It's possible that the other volumes are different, but I would imagine that they all have the same setup. I would still purchase that particular volume, however, as it gives a good model of how to preach from extended passages out of a difficult OT narrative. Not having read any of the others, I can't comment one way or another. It looks like most of them have been written by Hughes himself.

Is it possible that these are expository commentaries as opposed to technical ones?

I wouldn't consider them such. Even expository commentaries deal with issues such as authorship, dating, historical background, etc. on some level. These volumes just hop straight into the passage in the form of a sermon. There are no footnotes or side commentary. You can get a lot of information from these well written and informative sermons, but they are plainly still sermons.

I would recommend all the commentaries. Yes, I didn't agree with the exposition of Genesis 1 either. However, the rest of the commentary on Genesis is superb (which I have read). And Ryken on Exodus is a very good model of how to preach such texts. I am currently reading Hughes on Ephesians, and would recommend that one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back