Computer strain

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
I work as a tech writer, so I'm at the computer all day. For the last few weeks, I've been experiencing computer strain on my eyes. At first, it wouldn't hit me until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so it wasn't too hard too push myself the rest of the day. Now, it seems to start bothering me during the mid morning, so its really a challenge keeping up with my work.

I spoke to my boss about it, and he's ordered a screen for my monitor - one that filters the radiation and cuts down on the glare. Hopefully, that will help.

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same thing and what things you've done to protect your eyes and reduce the strain.

Bob
 
Bob,

Do you have an old CRT or one of the new LCD flat screens. I wonder if it makes a difference.
 
Wayne,
I use the CRT type monitor, the one that came with the Dell Precision 410 computer that I use.
Bob
 
Make sure that nothing bright is BEHIND your monitor, like a window, etc. The reading on the computer screen makes your eyes dilate, and then all the excess light from behind the monitor strikes your unprotected eyes.

Also, try to look away from your monitor as often as possible. And, whenever possible, do your reading off screen. If you have the option, print a page to read rather than keep staring at the monitor to read it. Give those eyes a rest!
 
[b:8f511cb165]Josh wrote:[/b:8f511cb165]
I had started developing headaches from being in front of a computer monitor all day. I went to see my eye doctor and he prescribed me glasses for use while on the computer. It has helped much.

Its funny. I just go off the phone with my wife and she said "You know, you really should go see the eye doctor...". I'll go ahead and make an appointment and see what they can do for me.

Thanks,
Bob
 
My eyes get tried by the end of the day too... I've found that it helps if I bring some eye drops to keep my eyes lubed up.
 
[b:4db7251816]Christopher wrote:[/b:4db7251816]
Make sure that nothing bright is BEHIND your monitor, like a window, etc. The reading on the computer screen makes your eyes dilate, and then all the excess light from behind the monitor strikes your unprotected eyes.

Nooooooooooo! I can't believe it. I've been working for 20+ years and I finally worked it out so I have an aisle office on the fifth floor, with a window in my cubicle so I can look out at the city,etc. :lol:

You're right, though. Maybe I can see if I can get facilities to rearrange my furniture so that the computer faces the other way and my back is towards the window.

[b:4db7251816]Christopher wrote:[/b:4db7251816]
If you have the option, print a page to read rather than keep staring at the monitor to read it.

Good thinking. Usually, I edit the stuff right on the computer, but this morning, I did use the printer and edit offline. Its slower, but for now it at least keeps work moving in the right direction.

[b:4db7251816]Christopher wrote:[/b:4db7251816]
Give those eyes a rest!

You bet.

Bob

[Edited on 4-16-2004 by blhowes]
 
[b:166bf93d96]Ben wrote:[/b:166bf93d96]
My eyes get tried by the end of the day too... I've found that it helps if I bring some eye drops to keep my eyes lubed up.

I'll give that a try as well.
Thanks,
Bob
 
Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 computer strain


:shocked::shocked3::lb:

[Edited on 4-17-2004 by Gregg]
 
Ya'all be careful with those eye drops. You could very well end up with a bad case of dermatitis in your eyelashes. It's easy to get and hard to get rid of. Been there, done that. I'll ask my pharmacist/buddy what to use, and get back to you.

Melissa
 
Bob:

After reading all the recent posts on the Puritan Board, I can see better. It may not be good for my eyes, but I see better. This has been an ongoing thing for a year and a half now. By now I'm looking pretty good.

Sorry for that play on word, Bob. I think that window idea is the best. My eye doctor said the same thing to me a while back when I asked about my eyes. But that was in reference to how I wear sunglasses. I didn't know that it could be dangerous to your eyes to wear sunglasses that didn't protect the side from sunrays, when you're driving with the sun coming in on your left shoulder. And that would be less direct than having the window behind your computer screen.

[Edited on 4-17-2004 by JohnV]
 
I usually make an effort to take a break every 30 minutes from looking at my computer screen, this is the only that I've found that really works.
 
Tetrahydrozaline HCl (gets the red out) is a no-no. You could probably use it once a month when you've been on a bender, but for daily puter eyestrain you're better off with something like Nature's Tears. If you get that dermatitis in your eyelashes, you will have to put warm washcloths on your eyes for 5 minutes twice a day and then wash with baby shampoo. It's a pain in the butt. Don't go there. :no:

Melissa
 
LCD monitors are infinitely easier on the eyes than CRT monitors.

LCD monitors are also in their second wave of development, and now they are crisper and are packaged with better abilities for frame rates.

The nasty thing about CRTs is the blur factor. After a while a monitor will begin to blur text and all, but at such a gradual rate that your eyes don't notice it until they really start hurting.

Also, LCDs are much brighter and pretty much everything is more well defined.

At home in Pensacola my mother has a CRT, and I really enjoy the first 15 minutes back at Auburn with my LCD monitor. Really, it's like having your eyes take a deep breath.
 
[b:64e05037a2]John wrote:[/b:64e05037a2]
After reading all the recent posts on the Puritan Board, I can see better. It may not be good for my eyes, but I see better. This has been an ongoing thing for a year and a half now. By now I'm looking pretty good.

I agree. The more I read the Puritan Board, the better I see...and the worse I see. Life is such a paradox. :lol:

[b:64e05037a2]Melissa wrote:[/b:64e05037a2]
Tetrahydrozaline HCl (gets the red out) is a no-no. You could probably use it once a month when you've been on a bender, but for daily puter eyestrain you're better off with something like Nature's Tears.

Thanks for checking into it for me - I appreciate it. Hopefully, with the other modifications I'm gonna make to my work area, the eye drops may not be so necessary (its always such a battle for me keeping my eyes from blinking as the drops approach my eye).

[b:64e05037a2]Dave wrote:[/b:64e05037a2]
I usually make an effort to take a break every 30 minutes from looking at my computer screen, this is the only that I've found that really works.

I'll try that as well. Thanks Dave.

[b:64e05037a2]Daniel wrote:[/b:64e05037a2]
LCD monitors are infinitely easier on the eyes than CRT monitors.

I'll definitely keep that in mind if that becomes an option down the road. There was talk in the past about upgrading our computers at work and, now that my company is once again making a profit, maybe it'll come to pass.

Bob
 
Bob,
You said you might reposition things to get the window BEHIND you instead of in front of you. That might cause a lot of glare, and you may not like that.

What you could do is simply put something up BEHIND your MONITOR, so that when you're staring at the monitor you don't see the window as much. I'm talking about a posterboard, or maybe a cork-board (could serve a dual purpose), or perhaps even a big rectangle of tinted glass, that way you'd have protection from the light, but still be able to see out.

The key is to keep that window light from staring at YOU, as you're staring at the monitor! Believe me, this will make a HUGE difference!
 
[b:9e67462422]Christopher wrote:[/b:9e67462422]
You said you might reposition things to get the window BEHIND you instead of in front of you. That might cause a lot of glare, and you may not like that.

Yeah. Today seemed like moving day for me. I removed two cubicle cabinets and a chalk board from the walls, disconnected the computer, and then moved it so the window was behind me. As you mentioned, the glare was too much, so I moved the computer again so that the window is facing my left side. This direction seems to work best so far. I may also cover part of the window opening with the large company calendar to reduce the light.

My anti-glare, anti-radiation filter arrived today and that seems to be helping immensely. It takes a little getting used to - in addition to cutting down the glare and radiation, its also a pretty good mirror. But at least the eyes aren't killing me now (and hopefully from now on).

Thanks to everybody for your helpful advice.

Bob
 
Computer users in a small business using old relic computers with no anti glare filters.


:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top