Covenanting with devils (Amandus Polanus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The Westminster Larger Catechism condemns "all compacts and consulting with the devil" as a breach of the first commandment (105). This condemnation presupposes that such things can and do actually take place. A friend of mine (now a PCI minister) once said to me that the Devil has gone out of fashion in Reformed circles. I think that he is correct and that such neglect of the reality of demonic activity is itself the work of Satan. Amandus Polanus, by way of contrast, was not so naive as to be ignorant of Satan's devices - especially in relation to witchcraft:

Witchcraft is a covenanting with the devils the enemies of God, that by their help things not necessary may be known and effected either for the fulfilling of evil lusts, or for ostentation or to the commodity of life, or else that they might receive by them those things which are to be asked and looked for from God alone. Deut. 18.11.

Amandus Polanus, The substance of Christian religion soundly set forth in two books, by definitions and partitions, framed according to the rules of a natural method, by Amandus Polanus professor of divinity. The first book concerneth faith. The second concerneth good works. The principal points whereof are contained in a short table hereunto annexed, trans. Elijahu Wilcocks (London: John Oxenbridge, 1595), pp 188-89.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back