Creative burnout in sermon writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
I think most agree that writing a sermon a week is challenging. I see sermon writing as a creative outlet in a way just like any other forms of creative expression.

So how do you fight this creative burnout? Some do say that a way is to have another creative outlet (ie music). Do you have a creative outlet and how does it help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having been a minister for over 10 years and preparing two sermons a week for that time, I don't look at it the same as you do. But I'm not a very 'creative' type or art-sy. So maybe this is just words. However, it's not my calling to be creative, it's my calling to be a herald or one who declares the good news of Jesus Christ through the Word of God. God's Word is that which is creative in giving countless accounts that declare the good news and glory of God.

Do I struggle with bouts of burn out at times? Yes, but this why my congregation gives me times of vacation to give me rest. Also, weekly, I don't 'work' every day on sermons. I mow my lawn, I garden, I hunt, etc.

I currently preach twice on Sunday, as well as teaching a Bible study on Wednesday nights, and a middle school boys Bible study for our Christian school on Mondays. With all this teaching, it can be easy to feel burnt out. When I’m feeling this way, I find it helpful to take a break from whatever book I’m preaching through, and tackle another passage of Scripture that I feel is pertinent to the congregation.

I think of Paul saying, 'Who is sufficient for these things?' I am amazed at my pastor, and others, who write sermons week after week, year after year. I read many sermons from the Puritans on up, and I'm so impressed by what Spirit filled exegetes get out of the Biblical texts that I many times miss. My pastor preaches morning and evening every Lord's day, and his sermons are expository and preached with authority and power.

The hard part of ordinary ministry is that boredom can creep in or you can get stuck in a rut with your own hobby horses or methods. Even preaching an expository series can start to sound the same.

There are several things I found helpful to keep motivated:
1) A clear day of rest where you do not think about sermon prep
2) Read a variety of books and articles, not just theology or commentaries. The wider you read, especially occasional sources you are not naturally inclined to read, it forces you to think harder about topics, it brings to mind facets of truth or human nature you haven't thought of before, and may give you different ways of explaining things. It can also provide you fresh sermon illustrations.
3) Talk to your people. The more you know their struggles and questions, the more you will find the answers from the text you are preaching on, and further stimulate your prep.
4) Ask yourself how you would explain the sermon text/doctrines to an unbeliever. What objections would they have? Most likely believers wrestle with some of those questions too. And by answering those kind of objections you equip your people to answer them too.
5) Have a hobby that doesn't involve theology. I can't tell you how often I have come up with ideas while doing some wood-working or guitar playing or hiking. Sometimes your brain needs that different environment to work out your thoughts and make new connections you wouldn't think of with your head buried in a commentary.
6) Finally, and most importantly, you need to keep pursuing God through your daily devotions and disciplines. Many times burnout comes because you have let other things crowd out your communion with God, and your joy and adoration of God begins to wither.

Just my two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back