Currently reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
What so you think of it so far? To whom would you recommend it?
Well I’m early on. I’m enjoying and appreciating it, but I’m no expert so that should be noted. I read Simply Trinity and Scott Swain’s Crossway Intro in that order prior to this volume… that’s a good and proper order I think. Meaning those volumes before this one. It’s impressive how well researched it is.
 
Finished: Richard Price, The canons of the Quinisext Council (691/692)

Now reading: A. Melloni, The Synods of the Syrian Orthodox Church

Next: Richard Price, The Acts of the Lateran Synod of 649

Norman Russell, Gregory Palamas

Richard Price, Documents of the early 'Arian' controversy and the Council of Nicaea

Side Note: for those in the Atlanta area looking for a Father's Day gift recommendation, try a 6 month ($75) or 1 year ($100) library card for Emory's Pitts Theology and Woodruff Libraries. Amazing selections.
 
Samuel Rutherford - “The Letters of…”
Steve Gregg - “Revelation: Four Views”
Garry Wills - “Venice: Lion City”
Charles Dickens - “Oliver Twist”
Well that was surprising. While reading “Venice: Lion City,” I learned that I’m actually related to a guy who was “the most powerful Jew in the world” in the 16th century. The surname Nasi wrung a bell from my genealogy. Unfortunately I’m afraid this means that I’m now part of the global Jewish conspiracy.
 
Well that was surprising. While reading “Venice: Lion City,” I learned that I’m actually related to a guy who was “the most powerful Jew in the world” in the 16th century. The surname Nasi wrung a bell from my genealogy. Unfortunately I’m afraid this means that I’m now part of the global Jewish conspiracy.
Sephardi? My jewish ancestors followed a similar course from Spain to Venice after the reconquest and expulsion, then to the Netherlands.
 
Given that I just started the mDiv program a month ago, my reading is getting filled up. But on my free time:

Just finished Clark’s Three Types of Religious Philosphy

And I’m working on Richard Lints’s Uncommon Unity. I also have volume 1 of Turretin’s Elenctic Theology checked out, but I haven’t started it yet…
 
Sephardi? My jewish ancestors followed a similar course from Spain to Venice after the reconquest and expulsion, then to the Netherlands.
I already knew I was descended from the Bassanos who were Venician Jewish musicians who moved to London, joined Henry VIII’s court, and provided Shakespeare with background material for “The Merchant of Venice.” One of them, Lucreece, converted to Christianity and married a Nicholas Lanier. Anyone with 18th century Lanier ancestry in the United States is almost certainly descended from them. Lucreese’s mother was a De Nasi and I had never seen that name elsewhere, so I was intrigued to find more information about them in the book. The Bassanos were Jews from Spain while the Nasis were Jews from Portugal (both escaping the Inquisition to Venice), though I imagine it was all one kingdom at that time.
[automerge]1782157075[/automerge]
I also just picked up “The Medical History of the Reformers” via interlibrary loan. It’s virtually impossible to find on the market.
 
Worshiptainment by Matthew Everhard

Like the Roman: The Life of Enoch Powell by Simon Heffer

Disciplines of a Godly Man by R Kent Hughes

George Washington: Volume One by Douglas Southall Freeman (Audiobook)
 
The Divine Comedy Esolen translation - There's no such thing as too much Dante!

Collected Essays of Norman Geisler - Still in vol. 1

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James - Don't read this one late at night by yourself! :eek:
 
The Divine Comedy Esolen translation - There's no such thing as too much Dante!

Collected Essays of Norman Geisler - Still in vol. 1

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James - Don't read this one late at night by yourself! :eek:

I read James myself a year or two ago! Great stories! If I recall aright, apparently he felt that skeptical Bible scholars in his time were too critical of the scriptures…make of that what you will. I just enjoy his storytelling.
 
Currently-
Biblical Theology- Vos
Recovering a Covenantal Heritage- Essays, edited by Rich Baarcellos
Biblical Theology had a profound effect upon my thinking. I don't know the essays you reference here. What can you tell me about them?
 
Just finished John Warwick Montgomery's "Principalities and Powers" which was a great scholarly work on the occult/demonology.

Now I am starting Athanasius and Didymus the Blind's writings "On the Works of the Spirit" from the Popular Patristics series.
 
Let's see.

Christ in the Camp
Stonewall In the Valley
I Hope You All Will Remember Me (46th NC letters home)

Dabney's Discussions, V1
Federal Husband
Plumer Psalms commentary

Lord's Day reads

Scots Worthies (1 sketch/week)
Memorial Volume of the Westminster Assembly (1 lecture/week)
Westminster Systematics (hopefully 1 section/week)
The Grand Debate
The Psalms in Worship (1 essay/week as goal)
 
Biblical Theology had a profound effect upon my thinking. I don't know the essays you reference here. What can you tell me about them?
Really enjoying it! Regarding the other book, it is mostly delineating the distinctiveness of Baptistic covenant theology such as outlining differing views on the covenants and infant vs believers baptism.
 
I splurged today on a few Visual Feast tomes:

Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
CSB Baker Illustrated Study Bible
NLT Illustrated Study Bible

NIV Biblical Theology Study Bible
Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible
ESV Reformation Study Bible
ESV Study Bible

In my Kindle there's some more Study Bibles I'll be using:

Grace and Truth (NIV)
Cultural Backgrounds (NKJV)

Iain Murray's biography of D.Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Beeke/Smalley's Reformed Systematic Theology
Thomas Watson's A Body of Divinity

I'm also listening to a few audio Bibles -- Word of Promise (NKJV), Robert Smith doing the M'Cheyne Reading Plan, and Michael Reeves doing the ESV, I really like Mr. Reeves' voice

Also listening to Stephen King's The Shining, and the original Grimms Fairy Tales.

Forgot to mention I ordered Morning and Evening Exercises by William Jay when I saw they were at 5 dollars each at RHB, and in CA it ended up what the set would normally cost for a US citizen!!

btw, i'm so far keeping myself from spending 200 on the e-book edition of the 5 volumes of John Cotton, I cannot say for sure that I can hold back after I update this post.

​

 
Last edited:
Finished: Richard Price, The canons of the Quinisext Council (691/692)

Now reading: A. Melloni, The Synods of the Syrian Orthodox Church

Next: Richard Price, The Acts of the Lateran Synod of 649

Norman Russell, Gregory Palamas

Richard Price, Documents of the early 'Arian' controversy and the Council of Nicaea

Side Note: for those in the Atlanta area looking for a Father's Day gift recommendation, try a 6 month ($75) or 1 year ($100) library card for Emory's Pitts Theology and Woodruff Libraries. Amazing selections.

Finished. Moving on to the 4 Volume work, Faith in Formulae, by Wolfram Kinzig
 
Nothing fancy, one of these I'm reading for a Young Professionals Book Study at my church:
  • One-Year-Bible reading plan (currently reading Judges, Luke, Psalms, and Proverbs concurrently)
  • How to Pray by C.S. Lewis
    • Read through bits of it previously but I'm planning to put in a concerted effort next week to get through it. It's not long, but in order to offset the fact that I want to read it in a shorter time, I plan to take a lot of notes.
  • What it Means to be Protestantby Gavin Ortlund
    • This is my YPBS book for church. I'm playing catch-up so I have to read chapters 1-4, but we only meet every other Thursday so this will be a slow burn.
  • Books I plan to read soon after these:
    • The Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan), Gentle and Lowly (Dane Ortlund), The Reason for God (Tim Keller), In All Things Thee to See (George Herbert).
 
Nice! Is this the first novel you have read by MacDonald?
Yes. I’ve had his complete works on Kindle for a while, but I recently watched a great documentary about C.S. Lewis’ conversion that reminded me of him. Only downside is it crashed my Kindle (it’s 18,000+ pages), so I have to read it on my iPad.

I’m about 1/3 through the first book, and so far it reminds me a bit of both The Hobbit and Sleeping Beauty.
 
Yes. I’ve had his complete works on Kindle for a while, but I recently watched a great documentary about C.S. Lewis’ conversion that reminded me of him. Only downside is it crashed my Kindle (it’s 18,000+ pages), so I have to read it on my iPad.

I’m about 1/3 through the first book, and so far it reminds me a bit of both The Hobbit and Sleeping Beauty.
I started reading The Princess with my son but did not quite finish it. I’ll have to pick it up again. Phantastes is my favorite from him.
 
All that is in God, James Dolezal
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, John Bunyan
Spurgeon on Prayer & Spiritual Warfare, Charles Spurgeon
 
Our elder visited my husband and I recently and brought us a copy of “A Discourse Concerning Old Age” by Richard Steele. It’s been a delight to read, and would be for anyone in any affliction- if you know, you know.
 
Our elder visited my husband and I recently and brought us a copy of “A Discourse Concerning Old Age” by Richard Steele. It’s been a delight to read, and would be for anyone in any affliction- if you know, you know.
I was able to listen excerpts Sermon Audio had of the book by Steele. Very good.
Do you have any idea where I can get an audiobook or an ebook? The reason I skipped physical books is that I've had to switch to almost only ebooks because of my failing eyes. It's sad in one way, but I love the online data that's available. I own a Logos library of nearly 9,000 resources.
Ed
 
I was able to listen excerpts Sermon Audio had of the book by Steele. Very good.
Do you have any idea where I can get an audiobook or an ebook? The reason I skipped physical books is that I've had to switch to almost only ebooks because of my failing eyes. It's sad in one way, but I love the online data that's available. I own a Logos library of nearly 9,000 resources.
Ed
Ed, I don’t know- I looked a little myself for that, I like listening to audio books as well. If I come across anything I’ll let you know.
 
Jeri and Ed, I am a big Steele fan. I was introduced to him through his piece on Wandering Thoughts and have purchased the Religious Tradesman and the Old Age book. I have read some of both, but am at a crossroads as neither fully apply to me at this stage, but some principles from both are very applicable to all!
 
Too many at once (as usual)..

Bible: Jeremiah

Theology:
Calvin's Institutes (Beveridge translation)
Owen 'A Display of Arminianism'

Puritan: Works of Sibbes (vol.1 - 'The Soul's Conflict')

History/Biog: Iain Murray - Jonathan Edwards

Philosophy: Russell 'History of Western Phil.'

Fiction: Homer's Odyssey

Finishing: Carl Trueman's 'Rise and Triumph..'

Recently finished:
James Nalton 'The Delay of Reformation Provokes God’s Indignation' with a sermon on afflicted consciences by Richard Greenham.
David Gibson - Radically Whole
Hemingway's 'The Sun Also Rises' (Fiesta)

Also, an exciting new acquisition! my first "premium" Bible - a wide margin Cambridge Aquila in ESV for Bible study.

What are your thoughts on Carl Trueman's work? I've heard good things and I think I have most if not all of his works, just waiting to get around to them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top