The Author of my Faith
Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings, It has been a while since I have been on this board. I do not want to rehash what has probably already been discussed 1000 times on his board
, but I am teaching along with one of my elders the Books of Ezra/Nehemiah during our Adult Sunday School and this Sunday we come to Nehemiah 2. We have 2 more weeks in Nehemiah 2 and then take a break for summer. We have a lot of new believers and people who have come out of Charismatic churches who attend our church now and I want to help them see how these books fit into the overarching story of the Bible. So Sunday we are going to look at Daniel 9:24-27 to see how Ezra/Nehemiah are connected to the 70 Weeks. This is not going to be an in-depth study of every view but an overview of the Seventy Weeks.
At this time, as an Amil, I believe that the 70 Weeks or 490 Years is not to be understood as literal. Even within an Amil framework, it seems there are different views on this. I see this passage as Apocalyptic and read it as I would number in Revelation. I see verses 26 and 27 as recapitulation and both refer to the Finished Work of Christ from our perspective but do have a view to the final day of the Lord.
I think the only consensus about this passage among Post/Amil/Historical Premil/Dispensational is that it is not an easy passage to understand
I have a pastor friend who is Reformed/Baptist and recommended The Coming Prince by Sir Robert Anderson which I started to read but he seems to take the Nehemiah 2 view which I think the Dispensational view also takes. I don't know much about him except that he was associated with Darby and the Plymouth Brethren which is where Dipsenationalsim was born. So not sure if his view is leaning dispensational.
QUESTION:
So here is my question. Out of what I see to be the options for the 4 Persian Decrees (Cyrus 538 BC, Darius 520BC, Artaxerxes in Ezra 7 457 BC, and Artaxerxes in Nehemiah 2 445 BC), does any of the math come out to the exact number of 490 years? Because I don't see it. I see a lot of number crunching that seems to be grasping for anything to make the numbers work which is why I am right now not taking the numbers as a literal Seven Weeks or 490 Years.
Thoughts?
Thank you
At this time, as an Amil, I believe that the 70 Weeks or 490 Years is not to be understood as literal. Even within an Amil framework, it seems there are different views on this. I see this passage as Apocalyptic and read it as I would number in Revelation. I see verses 26 and 27 as recapitulation and both refer to the Finished Work of Christ from our perspective but do have a view to the final day of the Lord.
I think the only consensus about this passage among Post/Amil/Historical Premil/Dispensational is that it is not an easy passage to understand
I have a pastor friend who is Reformed/Baptist and recommended The Coming Prince by Sir Robert Anderson which I started to read but he seems to take the Nehemiah 2 view which I think the Dispensational view also takes. I don't know much about him except that he was associated with Darby and the Plymouth Brethren which is where Dipsenationalsim was born. So not sure if his view is leaning dispensational.
QUESTION:
So here is my question. Out of what I see to be the options for the 4 Persian Decrees (Cyrus 538 BC, Darius 520BC, Artaxerxes in Ezra 7 457 BC, and Artaxerxes in Nehemiah 2 445 BC), does any of the math come out to the exact number of 490 years? Because I don't see it. I see a lot of number crunching that seems to be grasping for anything to make the numbers work which is why I am right now not taking the numbers as a literal Seven Weeks or 490 Years.
Thoughts?
Thank you