Ploutos
Puritan Board Graduate
In my own Christian life, I have often used David's posture towards Saul as a model for how to handle adversarial figures in my own life, in a sort of greater to lesser argument (i.e. "if David put up with that, surely I can put up with something comparatively trivial").
I've never believed this is the only or even primary application of the story of David vs. Saul, but all the same I have found myself wondering recently if this is a valid application of that narrative to begin with. I have generally admired David's forbearance in refusing to lift a hand against Saul - but then David's conduct toward his own children shows an excessive passivity and I now wonder if this is part of his attitude toward Saul as well. Is it possible that David is almost "hyper-Calvinist" in his attitude toward Saul, awaiting God's providence without using God's means? After all, David was not only promised the kingdom in the future. He had actually been anointed, and Saul had already been rejected as king finally and without recourse. Other Biblical characters are much more proactive in being the means used by God for carrying out his will - Joshua vs. the Canaanites, Jehu vs. the house of Omri, etc. Of course Moses lifted his hand against the oppressor of his people, and Scripture seems to indicate that he acted rashly and prematurely.
Since many of my responses to difficult situations in my Christian life have been modeled on David's response to Saul, it seems worthwhile to re-examine what to me is such a practically significant application of this passage. More broadly, I wonder if it's wise to apply Old Testament passages directly to my life in such a way, particularly when the writer passes what at best is an implicit moral judgment on a narrative.
I've never believed this is the only or even primary application of the story of David vs. Saul, but all the same I have found myself wondering recently if this is a valid application of that narrative to begin with. I have generally admired David's forbearance in refusing to lift a hand against Saul - but then David's conduct toward his own children shows an excessive passivity and I now wonder if this is part of his attitude toward Saul as well. Is it possible that David is almost "hyper-Calvinist" in his attitude toward Saul, awaiting God's providence without using God's means? After all, David was not only promised the kingdom in the future. He had actually been anointed, and Saul had already been rejected as king finally and without recourse. Other Biblical characters are much more proactive in being the means used by God for carrying out his will - Joshua vs. the Canaanites, Jehu vs. the house of Omri, etc. Of course Moses lifted his hand against the oppressor of his people, and Scripture seems to indicate that he acted rashly and prematurely.
Since many of my responses to difficult situations in my Christian life have been modeled on David's response to Saul, it seems worthwhile to re-examine what to me is such a practically significant application of this passage. More broadly, I wonder if it's wise to apply Old Testament passages directly to my life in such a way, particularly when the writer passes what at best is an implicit moral judgment on a narrative.