Did you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting!

Too bad that when the Islamo-fascists take over technological advance will come to a screeching halt.
 
Interesting!

Too bad that when the Islamo-fascists take over technological advance will come to a screeching halt.

Actually, the best likelihood of rolling back the Islamic tide is through India and China.

Yeah. India is a huge factor that many aren't reckoning with. The fact that they speak English fluently is a huge advantage for them. Computer programming and other highly technical skills are dirt cheap there.
 
Interesting!

Too bad that when the Islamo-fascists take over technological advance will come to a screeching halt.

Actually, the best likelihood of rolling back the Islamic tide is through India and China.

Yeah. India is a huge factor that many aren't reckoning with. The fact that they speak English fluently is a huge advantage for them. Computer programming and other highly technical skills are dirt cheap there.

And let's not forget that Indians have hated Islam for decades.
 
And there have been plenty of Islam-inspired revolts in XinJiang in western China that stayed revolts and nothing larger (and have stayed out of the news) because they were quashed with incredible efficiency.
 
Actually, the best likelihood of rolling back the Islamic tide is through India and China.

Yeah. India is a huge factor that many aren't reckoning with. The fact that they speak English fluently is a huge advantage for them. Computer programming and other highly technical skills are dirt cheap there.

And let's not forget that Indians have hated Islam for decades.
Longer than that! Muslims were tourching Hindu Temples centuries ago, India has not forgoten...or forgiven. War by Proxy anyone. (Kidding!)
 
What frightens my husband (who works for a prominent University) is the number of graduate students who are not from the US. The last departmental party was more like a meeting of the UN. The ratio of Americans to foreigners was about 1:8 (that is when you included the faculty). If you took the faculty and staff out of the equation the ratio is closer to 1:20
 
What frightens my husband (who works for a prominent University) is the number of graduate students who are not from the US. The last departmental party was more like a meeting of the UN. The ratio of Americans to foreigners was about 1:8 (that is when you included the faculty). If you took the faculty and staff out of the equation the ratio is closer to 1:20

It's the future though. Americans are going to continue to be supplanted and marginalized by their general lack of seriousness and diligence. We still have the best Universities in the world but a good number of our students are now coming from abroad.

It's not as if I can be-grudge these men and women for working hard academically and, on merit and just plain sweat, they deserve to be in the places they are. Two of my best Profs in my MSEE were from India - extremely hard-working, meticulous, kind, and brilliant.

About a year ago there was an article in Wired that was alluding to the exodus of tech jobs to India - high level programming jobs. It was interesting the perspectives: on the one hand was the xenophobia (and not a little bit of whining) by Americans who were mad that their jobs were no longer as valuable while, on the other, was a very hard-working Indian woman with kids at home to feed who was unapologetic that her company does outstanding work. I know some that think that we somehow have to guard such jobs but I think we just stick our heads in the sand and the bow wave hits us harder.

I deal with American tech support guys sometimes and they're generally un-creative but rude about their small slice of technical knowledge that I could easily teach myself if I so narrowly focused my energy. I had some server admin work to get done a year or so ago and hired an Indian company to do it for $8/hr. The same work in the States would have cost me $40/hr and the politeness and thoroughness would have been below what I received for 20% of the cost.
 
I deal with American tech support guys sometimes and they're generally un-creative but rude about their small slice of technical knowledge that I could easily teach myself if I so narrowly focused my energy. I had some server admin work to get done a year or so ago and hired an Indian company to do it for $8/hr. The same work in the States would have cost me $40/hr and the politeness and thoroughness would have been below what I received for 20% of the cost.

It is true and very sad, and it's not much different in other industries. We have been doing a lot of business with various types of companies (all American), and my husband and I are horrified at the terrible service, rude treatment and general laziness we've seen with these workers.
 
Seems to me that it won't be long before Skynet will be operational.
:lol:
I'd hate to have a naked Arnold Schwarzenegger beat me up and steal my clothes.

:rofl:

Or worse, what if Skynet's technology is really not so advanced and instead of a naked Arnold Schwarzenegger the best they can do is make the killer robot look like a naked Ted Kennedy?
 
What frightens my husband (who works for a prominent University) is the number of graduate students who are not from the US. The last departmental party was more like a meeting of the UN. The ratio of Americans to foreigners was about 1:8 (that is when you included the faculty). If you took the faculty and staff out of the equation the ratio is closer to 1:20

I currently live in Graduate Student/Family Housing and provide on-site technical support to other residents to help pay for my living expenses. The pattern you mentioned is the exact same here. Almost all of the requests for help I receive are from Asian students. If I am driving through the area at any given time the likelihood that I will see an American is quite low.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top