DOUG WILSON MOVIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob, I hope you stick around, because while you were gone, your contributions here were missed.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Speak into the microphone and say that again. You are making the Trinity Foundation look very good with that one.

Not half as good as you're making Bahnsen look. :welcome:

I came back to the board, having, ironically, left many of my FV sympathies behind.

Where did you leave them? Last I checked Wilson had written the definitive FV manifesto and yet you paint him as a warrior of the faith. But, perhaps I jumped the gun and you're just not up to speed with Wilson's gospel? If so, my apologies.

But some here (not Dr Clark--he has been quite patient with me) are just as venomous as ever. Maybe in another 6 months.

Again, I'm sorry if I haven't given you the benefit of the doubt, but it seems a bit incredible to me that men on these boards would be ignorant of Wilson's neo-liberalism (or, if you prefer, hyper-covenatalism) especially this late in the game.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, if you haven't read Wilson's diatribe against the Reformed faith, please pick up his book; Reformed is Not Enough. After that, it would probably be helpful if you picked up Dr. Robbins and my reply to Wilson; Not Reformed At All. At the very least, pick up a copy of former OPC RE Paul Elliot's book; Christianity and Neo-Liberalism.

In any case, I'm sorry if I've offended you, but it's getting very late in the day for the kind of praise you've given the man.

[Edited on 9-20-2006 by Magma2]

Originally posted by AdamM
Jacob, I hope you stick around, because while you were gone, your contributions here were missed.

Just a point of order, doesn't Jacob (I assume this is Draught Horse) have to include his church affiliation to post?

^true; haven't yet decided if I will stay long run, though. Time is precious and I don't want to spend it unwisely (for slightly unrelated reasons that is why I shut down my blog--time eater. I am just seeing if PB (and other boards) will take up as muc time as well).

I've read RINE. I've read Federal Vision. I've read the Beisner edited book. I am in the midst of Guy Waters book. While I would like to bring myself to read the Trinity Found. stuff, its hard for me to take seriously a man who says that Van Til is irrational (and by implication: Mike Horton, Scott Clark, Derek Thomas, Bill Edgar, Scot Oliphant, Fred Greco, etc).

I've read RINE. I've read Federal Vision. I've read the Beisner edited book. I am in the midst of Guy Waters book. While I would like to bring myself to read the Trinity Found. stuff, its hard for me to take seriously a man who says that Van Til is irrational (and by implication: Mike Horton, Scott Clark, Derek Thomas, Bill Edgar, Scot Oliphant, Fred Greco, etc).

Dear J,

I hope and pray you will continue the brave work of sincerely and fairly studying the opposition while questioning your presuppositions. This is the real work of true education.

God Bless,

Robin

PS. Your contributions to the board have always been meaningful.

Thanks Robin.
I have actually corrected a few of my views in discussion with several respected teachers. That being said, I am yet to be convinced that *some* FVers are really denying the gospel.

I have actually corrected a few of my views in discussion with several respected teachers. That being said, I am yet to be convinced that *some* FVers are really denying the gospel.

So who would you include in that list? John Kinnaird? Steve Wilkins? Steve Schlissel? Peter Leithart? John Barach? Richard Lusk?

Since you've said you've read Reformed is Not Enough, would you included Wilson among those FVers who is not denying the gospel?

[Edited on 9-21-2006 by Magma2]

[Mod ON]

We are starting to drift off topic. The topic is about the movie not what one thinks about FV.

[Mod OFF)

:ditto:

I watched the video about a week ago. I thought it was okay. The main thing that stuck out to me was that at time when Wilson was speaking to was VERY hard to hear.

It seemed that when parts of the "booklet" were read it was taken out of context.

Originally posted by trevorjohnson

Someone used the word, "hyper-coventalist" I am curious...what is this?

"Hyper-covenantalism" is a misinformed criticism sometimes made of the Federal Visionists. Supposedly they emphasize the covenant too much. The first time the charge was made that I know of was in a lecture by Richard Phillips that he delivered in a number of places and which ended up on a number of websites.

http://www.gpts.edu/resources/resource_covconfusion.html
http://www.alliancenet.org/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID307086|CHID559376|CIID1787572,00.html

This charge ignores the fact that in most places where the Federal Vision people talk about "covenant" they define it as something other than covenant. The real Federal Vision problem is the opposite of hypercovenantalism.

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by tewilder]

Originally posted by johnny_redeemed

I watched the video about a week ago. I thought it was okay. The main thing that stuck out to me was that at time when Wilson was speaking to was VERY hard to hear.

It seemed that when parts of the "booklet" were read it was taken out of context.

Have you read the "booklet"?

And darn those eagles! I voted for the packers because I had bubba franks as my TE. I am a bears fan, so I usually vote against the packers.

Wilson corrected teh booklet (I assume yall are talking about the slavery booklet) in his book Black and Tan. If one wanted to do a "scholarly refutation" of Wilson's cultural views (which by implication would refute Dabney, Thornwell, Palmer--no short order), then the bigger book would be the route to go.

Originally posted by Romans922
Originally posted by johnny_redeemed

Have you read the "booklet"?

And darn those eagles! I voted for the packers because I had bubba franks as my TE. I am a bears fan, so I usually vote against the packers.

No, I have not read the booklet. I would like to...

btw, never vote against the eagles!

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back