Doug Wilson Vindicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see another personal, professional debate between a proponent of the FV and an opponent of it, similar to the Wilson/White debate. The FV complains of being misunderstood, very well, what better way to clear up the confusion than in public. The opponents of the FV would be given a good chance to lower their guns and silence it forever. What better way than a public debate.

The Wilson/White debate, while intereseting and helpful on a few issues, didn't really solve anything because it was more of a credo/paedo debate.

Originally posted by Draught Horse
I would like to see another personal, professional debate between a proponent of the FV and an opponent of it, similar to the Wilson/White debate. The FV complains of being misunderstood, very well, what better way to clear up the confusion than in public. The opponents of the FV would be given a good chance to lower their guns and silence it forever. What better way than a public debate.

:ditto:

The Wilson/White debate was on the subject of whether Romes baptism is a valid baptism, and in my opinion, not even a debate; James did not know what to make of Wilsons' covenant expertise; he just did not know what to make of it. The whole discussion muttled down to almost mumbling.......

The PCA is dealing with this issue; the issue is a church issue; open debate would not be prudent at this time. It is official so should be dealth with as such until the time it is deemed appropriate.

Again, like I have said before on numerous occasions, the FV camps seems to go to the 'you don't understand us' position. J by F alone is not that difficult of a doctrine and the church contmeporary are unified on the terms. Why redefine it or carry it to the minutia? Doing this is what has caused the problem for the FV camp.

In conjunction with that, I for one wish these FV men would repent, shut up and move on. If they want to teach what they believe then they should go to their consistories/sessions and make an appeal to their higher assembilies. Otherwise, please leave the rest of us alone because we are taking a lot of criticism and attacks simply by defending the truth in our own churches and it is costing us dearly.

Well said. As a dear friend of mine who is one of my mentors (and Presbyterian BTW) said yesterday, 'These are good men who have gone off the deep end in soteriology. I wish they would just go ahead and say, "We are Calvinists, but we really like some of what Rome says and does." '

In saying that he is not calling the Papists, but is pointing to the eventualy destination of the predominant FV line of thinking. It is a shame what is happening with those men.

I think the Colloquium down at Knox will be the last comprehensive debate. If you haven't read Auburn Avenue Theology Pros and Cons, you should. I believe that book answers just about everything you would want to know from both sides. Plus these guys are very understandable.

Jewish Reformed Mother here:

The word ghetto is a YIDDISH word. It means ENCLAVE. The word has been hijacked.

So I guess we are all here in our Puritan ENCLAVE.

Think: Warsaw Ghettos WWII Poland.........

Originally posted by wsw201
I think the Colloquium down at Knox will be the last comprehensive debate. If you haven't read Auburn Avenue Theology Pros and Cons, you should. I believe that book answers just about everything you would want to know from both sides. Plus these guys are very understandable.

Originally posted by Matthew French
Dear Scott,

I'm reading between lines here. What is the rule? I've tried to find a rule on this but have had no success. All I see are general board rules which don't address anything specific.

Matthew,

The Apostle Paul said that Hymaneus and Philetus had shipwrecked their faith because they taught 1 thing incorrectly, and that was the resurrection of our bodies. They taught a form of preterism. Now they could have been orthodox all across the board, but in this area, Paul says they are teaching false doctrine and heresy and hands them over to Satan.

Now, help me understand, if Wilson is propagating in his published works a deviant form of justification by faith, would the Apostle Paul hang out in the ghetto or not? ;)

Dr. McMahon,

Who says it's deviant? Give this some time and let the church deal with it. A group of people on an internet board don't get to decide what's heresy. I'm not saying that I agree with the FV, I'm just saying that it strikes me as ridiculous to have a rule against speaking positively about anyone. Again, maybe I've misunderstood the rule but so far nobody will answer my question.

Originally posted by Matthew French
Dr. McMahon,

Who says it's deviant? Give this some time and let the church deal with it. A group of people on an internet board don't get to decide what's heresy. I'm not saying that I agree with the FV, I'm just saying that it strikes me as ridiculous to have a rule against speaking positively about anyone. Again, maybe I've misunderstood the rule but so far nobody will answer my question.

I hope I don't get in trouble for agreeing with you, Matthew.

(I can abide by the current PB rule, but I don't have to agree with the current PB rule.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back