Dvd player with hdmi socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I do watch DVD box sets on my TV but with à scary cable. When I switched my sky box over from a scart to hdmi cable there was a qualitative improvement. Would I see a similar improvement with a DVD player with a HDMI cable?

... or would I be wasting my money?
 
I'm guessing a bit, because it's possible there are regional differences in the technology, but...

I suspect your picture quality will already be limited by the DVDs you are watching and an HDMI cable will make little noticeable difference. Can you test it? Can you unplug the HDMI cable from your sky box, plug it into your DVD player, and see if you notice an improvement? If there is an improvement, it might be worth buying another HDMI cable.

A bigger issue for many people is the picture settings on the television itself. Sometimes the television will be set to widescreen, or set for a high-definition signal, while the DVD player or an old DVD is putting out an image that is just standard DVD quality and size. This will not look good on the television. You might want to find the picture or image-size settings on your television and experiment with those while you play a DVD, and see if you can get a more pleasing result.
 
I'm guessing a bit, because it's possible there are regional differences in the technology, but...

I suspect your picture quality will already be limited by the DVDs you are watching and an HDMI cable will make little noticeable difference. Can you test it? Can you unplug the HDMI cable from your sky box, plug it into your DVD player, and see if you notice an improvement? If there is an improvement, it might be worth buying another HDMI cable.

A bigger issue for many people is the picture settings on the television itself. Sometimes the television will be set to widescreen, or set for a high-definition signal, while the DVD player or an old DVD is putting out an image that is just standard DVD quality and size. This will not look good on the television. You might want to find the picture or image-size settings on your television and experiment with those while you play a DVD, and see if you can get a more pleasing result.
Hi Jack,
The problem is my DVD player is over a decade old and has no hdmi socket. I guess the fact they are still making scart socket players says it all. Just thought Babylon 5 might look better over hdmi. Warner brothers have the high definition masters but the box set has used the old TV resolution.
 
As long as your source DVDs are in the older, standard definition, there probably isn't much you can do. It's going to look like standard definition. If it also looks all stretched out, you can probably fix that with the screen-size settings on your television.
 
Michael Strazinski is on record that Warner brothers. has the high definition masters in a vault somewhere. They have CHOSEN to release standard TV quality DVD's in the boxset.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top