Earth Really Is Round!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
So I've been reading this book called "Indescribable" by Louie Giglio, and the forward is by a former NASA Christian astronaut named Joe Tanner.

When recording his thoughts he says " This first experience in space further convinced me that our God not only loves us; He is also unbelievably powerful to have created such a huge and magnificent Universe. The only word that comes to mind is indescribable!"

During his first trip into space he says "My goal of flying in space is finally realized after many years of preparation. Praise God! I look out a window to see Earth with my own eyes from 165 miles above its surface. It really is round!"

On top of all the plain evidence, shouldn't we accept the testimony of a Christian who has seen the roundness with his own eyes?

On top of all the plain evidence, shouldn't we accept the testimony of a Christian who has seen the roundness with his own eyes?

This assumes, my dear brother, that our Christian friend actually experienced what he believes he experienced. He might have had a drug-induced vision that gave him the sense of leaving the earth and returning in his capsule, imagining that along the way he saw a round earth (cf., the nefarious work of Descartes' demon in Meditations on First Philosophy). Just sayin' ;)

Peace,
Alan

This assumes, my dear brother, that our Christian friend actually experienced what he believes he experienced. He might have had a drug-induced vision that gave him the sense of leaving the earth and returning in his capsule, imagining that along the way he saw a round earth (cf., the nefarious work of Descartes' demon in Meditations on First Philosophy). Just sayin' ;)

Peace,
Alan
That actually made me laugh out loud. I was just in a serious/contemplative mood until I read this. Thank you!

Family members consider me a conspiracy theorist because I believe, contrary to everything taught in schools and published in peer-reviewed academic works, that the earth is young and that knowledge which supports it is being suppressed in academia and by the powers that be. That’s just one ‘for instance.’ When you know for a fact that truth is being systematically suppressed and lies are being exchanged for it, it does tend to make one more likely to consider certain possibities, especially if they accord with what the Scripture reaches us about the nature of creation and of man.

Family members consider me a conspiracy theorist because I believe, contrary to everything taught in schools and published in peer-reviewed academic works, that the earth is young and that knowledge which supports it is being suppressed in academia and by the powers that be. That’s just one ‘for instance.’ When you know for a fact that truth is being systematically suppressed and lies are being exchanged for it, it does tend to make one more likely to consider certain possibities, especially if they accord with what the Scripture reaches us about the nature of creation and of man.
Young earth (I hold to this as well) is Clearly supported in scripture. One has to flop like a fish out of water to avoid this.

All conspiracy aside, wouldn’t you agree that teaching that the Bible proves a “flat earth” is imposing an isogesis on the text that is quite frankly “horrid”?

I respectfully ask, do you hold to a flat earth?

My old SBC Church actually had an elder teach members a defense Pro-flat earth....the horror. The shape of the earth does not toot my horn (though I believe it to be ROUND), but when people try to use the holy word of God in a twisting manor to prove “flat earth“… it is nothing short of corruption.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to find a flat-earther that agrees we landed on the moon. The presupposition of denying the moon landing (it was all fakery, per these folks), should give us pause about the logical reasoning abilities of such persons.

So I've been reading this book called "Indescribable" by Louie Giglio, and the forward is by a former NASA Christian astronaut named Joe Tanner.

When recording his thoughts he says " This first experience in space further convinced me that our God not only loves us; He is also unbelievably powerful to have created such a huge and magnificent Universe. The only word that comes to mind is indescribable!"

During his first trip into space he says "My goal of flying in space is finally realized after many years of preparation. Praise God! I look out a window to see Earth with my own eyes from 165 miles above its surface. It really is round!"
To see the full context of the above quotes by Tanner, see the Forward using the "Look Inside" book preview here:
https://www.amazon.com/Indescribable.../dp/B005S9KSE6

Young earth (I hold to this as well) is Clearly supported in scripture. One has to flop like a fish out of water to avoid this.

All conspiracy aside, wouldn’t you agree that teaching that the Bible proves a “flat earth” is imposing an isogesis on the text that is quite frankly “horrid”?

I respectfully ask, do you hold to a flat earth?

My old SBC Church actually had an elder teach members a defense Pro-flat earth....the horror. The shape of the earth does not toot my horn (though I believe it to be ROUND), but when people try to use the holy word of God in a twisting manor to prove “flat earth“… it is nothing short of corruption.
Well, if one has to flop like a fish out of water to avoid what Scripture teaches on the age of the earth, then many Christians are adept at it and are flopping around like the world.

I don't believe the Bible teaches that the earth is flat or that science supports such a view, so I don't hold to that view. My point is that Christians are sometimes willing to consider odd claims due to the fact that they've seen suppression of the truth in areas of science, religion, politics, etc.

The presupposition of denying the moon landing (it was all fakery, per these folks), should give us pause about the logical reasoning abilities of such persons.

Wait, what...? We did not land on the moon! Patrick, you had me going for a moment there.

I'm with the rural Texas woman who objected to the facticity of the moon landing that she had seen on TV, averring that transmission of a TV signal from the moon was not possible (and must have been in a nearby TV studio) since, as she put it, "I can't even get Dallas on my set!"

Seems like impeccable reasoning ability to me!

Peace,
Alan

Wait, what...? We did not land on the moon! Patrick, you had me going for a moment there.

I'm with the rural Texas woman who objected to the facticity of the moon landing that she had seen on TV, averring that transmission of a TV signal from the moon was not possible (and must have been in a nearby TV studio) since, as she put it, "I can't even get Dallas on my set!"

Seems like impeccable reasoning ability to me!

Peace,
Alan
rotfl.gif

You are killing me, Rev. Strange.

I have yet to find a flat-earther that agrees we landed on the moon. The presupposition of denying the moon landing (it was all fakery, per these folks), should give us pause about the logical reasoning abilities of such persons.

We definitely landed on the moon, and it was mostly a huge waste of money. We spent billions to discover that it was in fact a giant rock .

Some of them also believe that Australia is not a real place. More sound stages, I suppose.

The world is shaped like a snow-globe and teeters on the back of an infinite pile of turtles. A secret cabal of Jewish-bankers (who are really reptilian aliens in skin suits from Planet Nibiru) have been spreading the myth of the round earth for years.

Pearl Harbor was also an inside job because how did all those Japanese planes fly all the way around the globe to bomb Hawaii?

But Alex Jones WAS right, they ARE turning the frogs gay (google recent studies into Atrazine and gay frogs, and shudder at what the 21st-Century holds for American men)

Conspiracy theories reminded me of this Ligonier/Sproul article - on how natural revelation has corrected our view of special revelation; ex. Calvin and Luther both believed geocentric view of universe; natural revelation proved heliocentric...

"... Dr. Sproul is reminding us that Christians in the past have believed erroneous ideas about the nature of God’s creation because they believed those views were taught in Scripture. He specifically mentions geocentricity – the idea that the sun, moon, and stars all revolve around a stationary earth."

Conspiracy theories reminded me of this Ligonier/Sproul article - on how natural revelation has corrected our view of special revelation; ex. Calvin and Luther both believed geocentric view of universe; natural revelation proved heliocentric...

"... Dr. Sproul is reminding us that Christians in the past have believed erroneous ideas about the nature of God’s creation because they believed those views were taught in Scripture. He specifically mentions geocentricity – the idea that the sun, moon, and stars all revolve around a stationary earth."
I wish things were as definitive as Dr. Sproul implied.

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/which-is-central-the-sun-or-the-earth.54925/#post-709876 ...and forward.

Then again, lest I become guilty, let's not derail this thread. ;)

What I will say about flat earthers is that they at least believe The Word, albeit in a flawed way, which is commendable.

Nothing like seeing something with your own eyes to confirm belief.

FE conspiracists have the perform a lot of mental gymnastics to convince themselves in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back