Selective breeding and hybridization are forms of human-caused genetic modification.
True, but genetic selection is not a modification of the genes. There is vast difference between me breeding my best Hereford cow with my neighbor's best Red Angus bull and experiments inserting the Arctic flounder gene that codes for the antifreeze protein into the genome of a tomato (the experiment was not effective but gives a sense of what is being tried "out there").
That being said, I am not entirely opposed to GMO processes, though I think there is a lack of wisdom currently, and I do feel there are ethical (and perhaps moral) issues that are not keeping pace with scientific exploration (in other words, they are regularly failing to answer the question of "Just because we can should we?").
My issue is with the goal of some GMO products, especially those that make a plant resistant to certain poisons so they can be sprayed, killing competing plants, and then harvested with various levels of that poison entering the food chain - especially as the plants deemed noxious are becoming more and more resistant and thus more and more poison is being used (the EPA’s legal limit on glyphosate residues is now
30 ppm - the legal limit in 1993 was
0.1 ppm). Take wheat, for example, which is not GMO (yet). Why are so many people in the US suddenly having symptoms of being allergic to gluten but testing negative for true gluten allergies, like Celiac disease - yet when they travel to Europe they find they have no problems when they eat bread there? Wheat (except in the far northern states and Canadian provinces) is killed off with the same glyphosate used to kill competing plants in corn and soybean field so it can dry down in time for mechanical harvest (combining on a schedule). It's past time to reconsider whether all of the new "allergies" to corn and soy is really a reaction to the trace poisons in them.
...for literally billions of people who otherwise would not exist, generated by the low cost and high supply of food available to us in modern times. If that kind of thinking was allowed to have its way, there's a sizable chance I might have starved as a child, and there's a somewhat smaller chance I might have starved as an adult a few years back.
I'm going to suggest that in modern (post-WWII based on production/price) food production, even before GMO, there has always been enough food to prevent all starvation - starvation that has occurred is due to political (think Soviet genocide in Ukraine or war in Ethiopia) interference in distribution. It is hard to argue that we need more food to feed one half of the world when the other half is obese. I'm not sure what your situation was, but no one in the US needs to starve when we throw 40% of our food away (I'm speaking as someone who once upon a time dug perfectly good food out of dumpsters).