Eclectic Spiritual Trends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
I guess I'm just looking for comfort and sympathy.

In my conversations and Bible studies with people lately, I've really been noticing people who have beliefs that are cherry picked, that aren't really thought out, that aren't rationalized, and so on. It's like a spirituality where anyone can believe anything, and there's no helping someone see otherwise, even within Christianity.

I know this is the nature of religion, and I appreciate diversity, but things seem way off kilter right now. It's like basic Biblical fundamentals are being replaced with "this is how I see the Bible, and I don't care about seeing it any other way."

It's like we have to lay a basic foundation again, but many people don't agree about that foundation or even feel the need to have one.

I always look for unity in diversity, but some things make me question where we are heading spiritually.

I guess I'm trying to say orthodoxy doesn't seem to matter to many people today.

I’ve seen a little bit of that.

Are you not in a church where the elders oversee Bible studies?

I’ve seen a little bit of that.

Are you not in a church where the elders oversee Bible studies?
Yes, at my church they do, and our community group has an elder present, but I do prison ministry, Bible studies at my job, and share the faith with people in my life.

Last edited:
@Ryan&Amber2013 you have sympathy in abundance from me!

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to give some examples of this? I'd be interested to exchange notes. Your comment about people lacking a foundation and not wanting to build one strikes a chord with me, since I run into this frequently.

In my conversations and Bible studies with people lately, I've really been noticing people who have beliefs that are cherry picked, that aren't really thought out, that aren't rationalized, and so on. It's like a spirituality where anyone can believe anything, and there's no helping someone see otherwise, even within Christianity.

I know this is the nature of religion, and I appreciate diversity, but things seem way off kilter right now. It's like basic Biblical fundamentals are being replaced with "this is how I see the Bible, and I don't care about seeing it any other way."

It's like we have to lay a basic foundation again, but many people don't agree about that foundation or even feel the need to have one.

I always look for unity in diversity, but some things make me question where we are heading spiritually.

I guess I'm trying to say orthodoxy doesn't seem to matter to many people today.

" For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the [b]oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are [c]of full age, that is, those who by reason of [d]use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

@Ryan&Amber2013 you have sympathy in abundance from me!

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to give some examples of this? I'd be interested to exchange notes. Your comment about people lacking a foundation and not wanting to build one strikes a chord with me, since I run into this frequently.
I feel like I could make a long list of things, but a few would be a pastor and his wife counseling couples telling them to be sexually active before marriage, a girl who is a passionate Christian and will defend her beliefs very much, but who had no idea a person needs to be regenerated by the holy Spirit to be saved, a pastor denying the trinity, a woman wanting to be able to control nature by commanding it in the name of Jesus, people thinking it's okay to live immorally and be a Christian, people who are in the church but have no idea about Christian doctrines, etc. The list can literally go on and on, and I'm sorry about my grammar, I am speaking into my phone.

but a few would be a pastor and his wife counseling couples telling them to be sexually active before marriage

I saw that you were speaking into your phone in your last post. Just wanted to make sure what I quoted above was accurate?

A pastor you know is counseling couples to have sex outside of marriage? Is this fellow in your denomination?

I feel like I could make a long list of things, but a few would be a pastor and his wife counseling couples telling them to be sexually active before marriage, a girl who is a passionate Christian and will defend her beliefs very much, but who had no idea a person needs to be regenerated by the holy Spirit to be saved, a pastor denying the trinity, a woman wanting to be able to control nature by commanding it in the name of Jesus, people thinking it's okay to live immorally and be a Christian, people who are in the church but have no idea about Christian doctrines, etc. The list can literally go on and on, and I'm sorry about my grammar, I am speaking into my phone.
I am sorry to hear that you've witnessed these things, all of them regrettable. That pains me.

I don't have great examples; just trends. A close friend is torn up between her credo leanings and her husband's strong PB views, but steadfastly refuses to read up on the topic because of her insistence on just sticking to the Bible and not going anywhere else for instruction (not arguing either side - just observing the unwillingness to be challenged). Other friends are shockingly ignorant on doctrines of God and Trinity. I'm guilty too (thinking of my own off-base statements in a recent thread here) but by God's grace at least I see that ignorance and am doing something about it as time and energy allow. Many around me don't even want to think about a possible problem.

I see widespread inability to grasp that we take preconceptions wherever we go. It takes some real self-abasement to learn this as an adult and a lot of people just aren't up for that. This, with our wonderful American individualism and disdain for authority has led to a real uncoupling from tradition (and I believe our worship has often led the way in this uncoupling, by design). So, "it's plain to see that Scripture obviously teaches" about continuing gifts or about God's ability to change/become (I've seen both the subtle Frame version and more flagrant open theism) - likewise it's obvious that Jesus is ontologically subordinate in authority to the Father because "Scripture says so and I don't care what anybody else says because I choose to stand with Scripture".

But you already said it so much more succinctly. Orthodoxy doesn't seem to matter to many people today.

I saw that you were speaking into your phone in your last post. Just wanted to make sure what I quoted above was accurate?

A pastor you know is counseling couples to have sex outside of marriage? Is this fellow in your denomination?
Sadly yes, that is right. They are an independent charismatic church.

That's really sad. Counseling them to give away their happiness and security in marriage before it's even begun. :(

I've noticed this trend a bit too. A lot of guys at work have a very "buffet style" approach to their beliefs. It's like "I believe in a God to justify existence, just not one who demands anything from me that I don't understand and agree with in ethics." Or "yeah, this is a principle of right and wrong, but it doesn't count in this instance."

I've had several coworkers openly admit that they have no ground or coherent system for determining right and wrong. And, they're fine with that, because they just "feel" what's right for them. One guy: he is personally committed to stoicism, and believes that ethics consists in restraining and controlling, and then denying the desires. But he then turns around on homosexual marriage by saying that it is unethical for them to restrain, control, and deny their desires.

Another guy, he expresses interest in growing spiritually, getting connected to a church, learning Scripture...and then immediately after learning about Scripture's guidance on purity moves in with his unbelieving girlfriend.

This isn't necessarily in the world of theology, or the church either. It seems to be a larger cultural trend. But all the guys I know who have that perspective grew up in nominal / theologically-liberal churches too. Perhaps there's a connection to be investigated.

Oh boy. This is quite troubling.

This is sad indeed. It is even worse when you experience such eclectic beliefs in one Sunday school class in a church that is supposed to be a conservative SBC congregation. I experienced this very thing and by God's grace it was the catalyst that drove me to the Doctrines of Grace and Reformed Theology.
My heart breaks for these people and I am often burdened and would like to find a way to share sound doctrine with them. The problem is every time I encounter one of them in town they are quick to move on if I start talking about Biblical truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back