Edward Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarrowMan

Puritan Board Freshman
I've recently been reading through Living by God's Promises by Joel Beeke and James LA Belle. It's been a wonderful read thus far and it put me of a mind to read Edward Leigh's "A Treatise of the Divine Promises in 5 Books." However, the book is out of print and available only in less desirable form on the internet. For you members involved with reprint of older works such as these, how would I go about getting it in print, or perhaps, having them reintroduced into the general public as hard copies?

Are you thinking about completely re-editing the text? Because I can help you with that. By that I mean, I can point you to the updated TCP doc from Project Puritas, and if you like, shoot you a "pre-edit" highlighted text of areas you need to look for if you do not have any prior experience editing texts. Just let me know. Getting it into a HC should be pretty easy, since Amazon now offers KDP of HC's up to 500 pages, and this text is roughly 165 pgs.

According to our "error sheet" it has roughly 689 non-spelling mistakes, 643 being missing letters or punctuation, 37 being missing snippets of text, 6 being letters with lines above them which usually indicate a following n or m, and 3 instances of Hebrew or Greek. Since the facsimiles are readily available on Google, in several editions; correcting the updated TCP/Project Puritas text, should be pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
Are you thinking about completely re-editing the text? Because I can help you with that. By that I mean, I can point you to the updated TCP doc from Project Puritas, and if you like, shoot you a "pre-edit" highlighted text of areas you need to look for if you do not have any prior experience editing texts. Just let me know. Getting it into a HC should be pretty easy, since amazon now offers KDP of HC's up to 500 pages, and this text is roughly 165.
Let me just say that I understood your first two sentences but the rest went right over my head, lol. I have zero experience with any of this.

As of right now, Leigh's work (as far as I could find) is only available as facsimile or html online. I'd like to get it back in print. I don't know if that means re-editing or something else. I'm a total noob.

Let me just say that I understood your first two sentences but the rest went right over my head, lol. I have zero experience with any of this.

As of right now, Leigh's work (as far as I could find) is only available as facsimile or html online. I'd like to get it back in print. I don't know if that means re-editing or something else. I'm a total noob.
Gotcha. This is pretty easy to do. Give me a minute, and I will explain in a longer post. Quick question, what is the source of the HTML? Is it TCP or Archive?

Awesome. Then what I will do is make you a video kind of showing the process. What you are going to want to do tomorrow, or when you have a chance, is go to your local thrift store if you do not have a duel screen set-up, and pick up an extra $10 monitor. A duel monitor is going to make this so much easier. This way you can have the text you are editing on one screen, and the facsimile on the other. Let me make this video for you, I will load it up to Youtube, and post it here when finished. But this is pretty simple. And it is perfect for your first time since it is a relatively small book.

Awesome. Then what I will do is make you a video kind of showing the process. What you are going to want to do tomorrow, or when you have a chance, is go to your local thrift store if you do not have a duel screen set-up, and pick up an extra $10 monitor. A duel monitor is going to make this so much easier. This way you can have the text you are editing on one screen, and the facsimile on the other. Let me make this video for you, I will load it up to Youtube, and post it here when finished. But this is pretty simple. And it is perfect for your first time since it is a relatively small book.
Thanks! Much appreciated!

Here you go. A motion picture of me rambling for an hour and a half. But I really didnt know any other way to explain it but take you through my process, so you kind of know what the highlights are for. Using this text, you will be able to see the immediate areas that need dealing with. There are some other changes you can make, like I noticed things like "ones self" can be auto changed to "oneself," the same for "it self" to "itself," ect. But if you can make it through the video, this will give you an idea of what it will take to edit the text. The alternative is for you to completely retype it, or simply have a reproduction made of the facsimile. Please feel free to reach out with any questions. I am no expert at this editing thing, only have a few edits under my belt, and none for print publication. For that aspect you may want to reach our to others about its specific needs. But as far as getting the text "cleaned" and prepped to be formatted for either ePub or printPub; this will hopefully get you off to a good start. Also, when you are done editing the text, always go back over it again, even if it takes an hour or two, to catch those little things you may have missed.

The "pre-edit" text can be found here. https://docs.google.com/document/d/...ouid=103411308083518695972&rtpof=true&sd=true

Last edited:
8ei7qi.jpg

I am in the process of going ahead and editing it. I am going to see if Monergism wants to make an eBook out of it, but I will also shoot you the text so you can either print it for yourself or format it to do HC books with. Also, I am recording the editing process which I will make into a series of videos, that will both help you out, if you want to do further books, but also others who may want to edit these books but dont really know the process. I have the next 2 days off, and since it is a shorter book, I should be done before Sun, Lord Willing.

Looking at the pre-edit Doc I sent you, and seeing that its as bright as a Christmas Tree, it can be kind of intimidating for someone just starting. And this does look like a beneficial work, so, might as well get it done.

I am in the process of going ahead and editing it. I am going to see if Monergism wants to make an eBook out of it, but I will also shoot you the text so you can either print it for yourself or format it to do HC books with. Also, I am recording the editing process which I will make into a series of videos, that will both help you out, if you want to do further books, but also others who may want to edit these books but dont really know the process. I have the next 2 days off, and since it is a shorter book, I should be done before Sun, Lord Willing.
That's amazing! Thank you so much!

Here is some more suspenseful footage of the actual editing process. While it will be an utter bore for anybody with no inkling to do this type of stuff. It may be beneficial for those who kind of want to see the work that goes into it; possibly if they are thinking of doing it themselves, but have no clue where to start.

Last edited:
Just an update. Got about 50 pages out of 143 done today. Will get back at it tomorrow. I had some errands to run, so couldnt get as much as I would have liked. But will get this to you in the next day or two.

Just an update brother. Got about 52 pages left. On Book III, Chap.4 (out of 4 books.) Sorry if this is taking me a little longer than usual. This one is super heavy on the scripture citations, so I am taking extra time to make sure those are correct. I may not get to this tomorrow, as it is one of the days I have to work after Church; but I will get to this first thing on Mon. Lord Willing, and finish it up, as I really got to get back to Greenham to get that done so I can start Vermigli. But slowing down a bit has let me read it a little; I can see why you chose it. Looks like it leaves no stone unturned. This will make a great book to hand out to others for times of meditation, and for prayer preparation, to find out what we should expect from God, according to his promises, if we would just take the time to petition. Thank you for bringing this work to my attention. It has been a blessing so far.

Just an update brother. Got about 52 pages left. On Book III, Chap.4 (out of 4 books.) Sorry if this is taking me a little longer than usual. This one is super heavy on the scripture citations, so I am taking extra time to make sure those are correct. I may not get to this tomorrow, as it is one of the days I have to work after Church; but I will get to this first thing on Mon. Lord Willing, and finish it up, as I really got to get back to Greenham to get that done so I can start Vermigli. But slowing down a bit has let me read it a little; I can see why you chose it. Looks like it leaves no stone unturned. This will make a great book to hand out to others for times of meditation, and for prayer preparation, to find out what we should expect from God, according to his promises, if we would just take the time to petition. Thank you for bringing this work to my attention. It has been a blessing so far.
I’m glad it’s been a blessing. There’s no hurry on my end. You’ve gone above and beyond what I was looking for and I'm thankful to you for it. I definitely intend to watch the videos should I find something in the future I’d like to see made available!

I hope this is better than what you were able to find. I am going to call it a night. I will shoot you the DOCX tomorrow. I only put the Monergism (c) because this will be posted live; but you personally will be able to do with it as you see fit. It could use a little more cleaning up in some areas. But I will leave that fun up to you, lol.

For anybody interested. Here it is in free ePub as well.

I must be thankful though to the way the Lord keeps me humble. Looking over the "Divine Promises" and I find an error in the second sentence. That was after 15 hours of editing, lol.

But as Leigh said in his own text:

"But since that is rather to be desired, then yet to be expected, I (who abound with leisure) was willing to make this essay, both that I might employ my own Talent, and gratify the desires of Christians. For their sakes (though I must expect several censures, according to the variety of men's humors) am I willing, conferre aliquid in publicum, to cast in my mite into the common treasury. If thou findest faults and Errata in the book, let love cover them, for to err (as the Satirist saith) is the sad privilege of mortality, and he (of all men) erreth most, who challengeth a privilege from error."

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this. I read Beeke and Belle's book last year, and I found it to be one of most valuable books I've read in my young Christian life. I look forward to going through this one, and reinforcing what I've read.

I hope RHB or someone else eventually reprints this too.

Thanks again, and blessings to you, brother.

Just to give the heads up, Monergism has made this title available in Paperback for $12.99. The eBook can still be downloaded at no-cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back