Emerging Church Movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dao

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm new at this word: emerging church movement

What is this movement and how does it relate to the Presbyterians?
 
Basically with Emergent/Emerging, it's a movement started by arrogant men (and women) who are not only "liberal" in their theology (i.e. non-Christian philosophy posing as Christian truth), but they basically seek to redefine and reinvent the faith altogether for the "post-modern generation"--hence, the Emergent or Emerging Church.

There is a slight different between the two, but both are awful.

Emergent: It's almost like what Unitarian Universalism would look like if "Christianity" were the dominant religion they emphasized. For instance, they might call themselves Christians, while incorporating Buddhist elements, Oprahisms, and really bad poetry. They deny essential doctrine: Penal Substitutionary Atonement, faith in Christ alone, the Trinity, etc. Oh, and don't forget the Socialist politics. (McLaren, Bell, Jones, Tickle)

Emerging: Churches that seek to make Christianity "more relevant" to modern culture. Looks a lot like the Seeker Sensitive Movement, but more extreme. They're generally not as liberal as the Emergents, but it's still bad.

The movement has infected all denominations, with the exception of more conservative ones. For instance, the only Presbyterians I think who could be infected would be the liberal churches (such as the PCUSA)
 
Last edited:
It a movement that has really died out and now trend loving evangelicals are trying to steal bits and pieces of it in order to try to ''speak to young persons''.
 
The Emergent guys I think are kind of a backlash against the megachurch which is now a fading. As jogri pointed out the Emergents are likely to fade soon and be replaced by the new fad of home/Starbucks "congregations" of 3-10 people.
 
And this really started as a northern usa trend and it really has fadded greatly. It started much later in the south of the usa. It really was at its peak during the second term of the Bush administration. It was a reaction not simply to mega churches but the entire right wing-politically conservativism in the Church. And I am sympathetique given I am politically left and confessionally reformed, but most didnt care about doctrine and it was just old fashioned liberalism really. What reformed churches need to start thinking about is how can we minister to these young persons who are so skeptical with organisations and authority? just preaching and yelling ''God ordanined teh church'' isnt going to cut it. it will tkae time and patience that I don't think many of us have.
 
How to prevent persons wanting to join the emergent church movement (even if it exists in the future)?

A more two kingdom and duel citizen mentality

Make sure your kids know (not necessarily memorize but are at least familiar with) the Catechism.

Make sure your church is more known for its preaching, welcoming of all persons in the worship service and practice of church discipline than what ethnicities make up most of your church, what programs they offer, & what style of clothes most persons where. These are the churches that will last.
 
How to prevent persons wanting to join the emergent church movement (even if it exists in the future)?

A more two kingdom and duel citizen mentality

Make sure your kids know (not necessarily memorize but are at least familiar with) the Catechism.

Make sure your church is more known for its preaching, welcoming of all persons in the worship service and practice of church discipline than what ethnicities make up most of your church, what programs they offer, & what style of clothes most persons where. These are the churches that will last.

:amen: and :amen: again
 
How to prevent persons wanting to join the emergent church movement (even if it exists in the future)?

A more two kingdom and duel citizen mentality

Make sure your kids know (not necessarily memorize but are at least familiar with) the Catechism.

Make sure your church is more known for its preaching, welcoming of all persons in the worship service and practice of church discipline than what ethnicities make up most of your church, what programs they offer, & what style of clothes most persons where. These are the churches that will last.

:amen: and :amen: again
Thought let me just clarify something: I am not saying go all Michael Horton... But the balance in US reformed circles has gone to such an extreme that a little bit of lutheran two-kindom theology is needed and fits perfectly with the theology taught in the Heidleberg Catechism.
 
clipped . . .replaced by the new fad of home/Starbucks "congregations" of 3-10 people.
WWJD
What would Jesus Do?
_________Drink Starbucks!
At least, Christianity returns back to the original position, "the home"

-----Added 12/7/2009 at 09:50:04 EST-----

Being a former advertising specialist for the largest retail store, I work closely with creative directors, marketing directors and artists. I find continuous creative ways to change with times. I believe in constant change to express news ways to make a point. I don't like Picasso's new ways of making abstract art or a single color square paintings worth millions but they do express the minds. Those artist did break the traditional rules of art. I teach tai chi and find new ways to express the art to make them more acceptable to christian lifestyles while many think all martial arts are the works of Lucifer's legions condemning the unseen electro-magnetic forces. I will always find a new way to express the traditional past. Being turned off by old reformed writings claiming the papal systems to be the beast and the Pope somewhat the anti-Christ as expressed many many "loose denominations", I find that the times has changed and the ancient social environments to be outdated.
I might welcome many new ideas and with the today's social languages, but it gets complicated. I believe it will always get complicated with constant changing times. Remember, Martian Luther wanted only four books in the Bible, not 66. Perhaps the basic story of Jesus is the way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top