Encountered Drunkards Before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggy

Puritan Board Freshman
What a weird encounter today at the mart.

An old man was drinking straight out of the wine bottle and looked a bit tipsy. Slapping jokes with me and even said some racial stuff at the cashier. I bought my stuff quickly and headed straight for the exit. I can only presume he's drunk...

Any encounters with drunkards before?
 
I register drunks for jail medical clearances and DUI's at the hospital quite often.

Good times. One thought that often comes to my mind is, "You either have the alcohol tolerance of a school girl or you had way more than three beers."
 
Very true. It's quite funny (and sad) to see how drunks behave. I thought that the drunk may smash his bottle anytime in a rage or something.
 
Trust me there are just as many drunks wearing suits and ties as there are the type you encountered. I know, I was one for many years. Pray for them because I am proof in the flesh of what God's grace can do for a drunk.
 
I work with quite a few... Though not intoxicated at work (off the clock) drunkeness affects how they treat and relate to people.
 
Often.

There's previous little to do on a Friday night in my town except get drunk. (Unless, you're involved in an ongoing Monopoly tournament with your sixty-five year old neighbors - and I am, haha). I think the saddest ones are the young teens - and there are just so many of them. :(
 
At Walmart I've had several encounters with intoxicated individuals. Several have been in the parking lot and have careened into other cars. Of course, the police are called.

Several have come into the store drunk. I've called the police in those cases to make sure they aren't driving off in a car. They have all driven to the store.

I've had several encounters in the store with such people. Some of them are attempting to buy more alcohol. I deny the sale.

I'm not against a person having a drink, but if they are going to come to Walmart drunk I'm not going to be their friend. I'll do what's necessary to protect our customers, the associates and the general public. Don't come into my store drunk.
 
Well maybe back in SG drunkard sightings are much rarer since most SG people aren't drinkers, I suppose.
Alcohol taxes and many of the older generation's mindset against drinking keep drinkers low here.

That's why I thought my sighting's weird. Maybe not for the States.
 
I can't imagine anyone who hasn't encountered drunks before and we have now reached the point in society where the same can be said about those on drugs.

My job entails going to peoples houses and the health and safety guidelines state that you do not enter the home of anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Sometimes however it is not until you are inside the house that you realise they are under the influence. 95% of the time it has been OK but on one or two occasions that I have felt uncomfortable and you need to be on guard.

How does one witness to drunks? I used to think it was pointless because they were just out of it. Yet after speaking with drunks I have found a number of things.

1. I am always astonished at the theological grasp down and outs have (I think that is hobos or bums in the US). Whether they are just saying what they think you want to hear but their grasp of biblical data is most surprising. They know the truth yet don't want to act upon it.

2. People who are hardened and no time for any spiritual conversation when sober can open up. They can be sorrowful, express a desire to be right with God, may even be tearful and may even request further visits/conversations. However once they have sobered up they don't want to know but it gives you an indication of where they are at deep down.

Depending upon how drunk they are, most have some recollection of conversations or what happened so I would always maintain never to be fearful talking with anyone who is drunk. The one proviso would be to be vigilant and wary as drunks can be unpredictable and could become violent easily. But you can pick up by the non-verbals when things are about to get out of hand.

Drugs are a different story and whilst I would be happy talking to drunks I would be most hesitant to do so with those high on something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top