The most bizarre heresy you have ever encountered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once had a mormon guy tell me that Jesus and Lucifer used to be brothers. He also said things about the "father and Mary" that almost made me go apocalyptic on him.
 
Originally posted by Peters
Once had a mormon guy tell me that Jesus and Lucifer used to be brothers. He also said things about the "father and Mary" that almost made me go apocalyptic on him.
That's orthodox Mormon doctrine.
 
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Originally posted by StaunchPresbyterian

:barfy: Finney's "Moral Government" doctrines. I'm not all that clear on this now, but I remember debating with someone who came to my college campus to "preach" the gospel (which was basically a guy and his family yelling at people to burn their CDs, etc.).

Sounds like "brother" Jed Smock, an avowed Pelagian and Finney fan, whose m.o. is going to college campuses and dishing out legalistic harangues. Almost has to be seen to be believed.

01_2_1.jpg


[Edited on 4-5-2006 by Pilgrim]
All I remember is that he was from Rockford, IL; I went to school in Whitewater, WI. :um:
 
I was trying to think of cults today and then I remembered this wierd thing that my wife and I ran across one weekend about 10 years ago on the Mall in DC.

We saw this group dancing around and playing some folk music. The guys had beards and wore overalls and the ladies dressed like the Ingalls from Little House on the Prarie.

I asked one of the guys what they were doing and he started telling me this wierd theology. Apparently they were some sort of cult in PA that was founded in the 60's by some hippies (although he didn't say that). He pulled out the Bible and pointed to Daniel and the statue with Clay feet and Iron Feet. They had used the verses as some sort of "charge" that God's people had to separate themselves from society.

I don't remember much else about it except that he said they grew beards because it was somehow Scriptural. It was like hippie commune meets Calvary Chapel meets Green Acres.

The music was pretty good (they played on banjos and guitars) but the dudes stank like people that don't believe in Anti-Perspirant.
 
I could almost swear that I saw that guy on campus last year when I was visiting the U . . . I had some free time to stop & listen, there were 2 guys (one who looked like this guy and was definately a Pelagian), both of whom were teaching that if you were a Christian, you didn't sin - he even said you could ask his wife, and she'd tell you he didn't sin more than a couple of times a month!

[Edited on 4-5-2006 by Puddleglum]
I remember them "preaching" the exact same thing (I just don't remember what the guy looked like).
 
Originally posted by SemperFideles
I was trying to think of cults today and then I remembered this wierd thing that my wife and I ran across one weekend about 10 years ago on the Mall in DC.

We saw this group dancing around and playing some folk music. The guys had beards and wore overalls and the ladies dressed like the Ingalls from Little House on the Prarie.

I asked one of the guys what they were doing and he started telling me this wierd theology. Apparently they were some sort of cult in PA that was founded in the 60's by some hippies (although he didn't say that). He pulled out the Bible and pointed to Daniel and the statue with Clay feet and Iron Feet. They had used the verses as some sort of "charge" that God's people had to separate themselves from society.

I don't remember much else about it except that he said they grew beards because it was somehow Scriptural. It was like hippie commune meets Calvary Chapel meets Green Acres.

The music was pretty good (they played on banjos and guitars) but the dudes stank like people that don't believe in Anti-Perspirant.

:lol: I think you win :lol:

That is sad, though.
 
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Those are always fun. I usually respond,

"The holy spirit tells me to do _______ (insert something scandalous)."

Usually this works. Not always, though. It is good for shock and awe value.

Yeah he kept telling me that God will reveal His truth to you Himself, and I'm like, "How can you know God's will if you haven't even read His letter to you!" I confess, I wanted to slap Him and say, "God told me to do that." :um:
 
Originally posted by ~~Susita~~
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Those are always fun. I usually respond,

"The holy spirit tells me to do _______ (insert something scandalous)."

Usually this works. Not always, though. It is good for shock and awe value.

Yeah he kept telling me that God will reveal His truth to you Himself, and I'm like, "How can you know God's will if you haven't even read His letter to you!" I confess, I wanted to slap Him and say, "God told me to do that." :um:

:lol: I know what you mean. As Jacob wrote, sometimes saying something outrageous like that will shock them to their senses, or may at least encourage them to reexamine things.

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by Pilgrim]
 
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Originally posted by ~~Susita~~
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Those are always fun. I usually respond,

"The holy spirit tells me to do _______ (insert something scandalous)."

Usually this works. Not always, though. It is good for shock and awe value.

Yeah he kept telling me that God will reveal His truth to you Himself, and I'm like, "How can you know God's will if you haven't even read His letter to you!" I confess, I wanted to slap Him and say, "God told me to do that." :um:

:lol: I know what you mean. As Jacob wrote, sometimes saying something outrageous like that will shock them to their senses, or may at least encourage them to reexamine things.

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by Pilgrim]

However, a problem with reductios is that some people will go ahead and swallow them. In the case of cultists/heretics this is highly likely. So be careful.
 
davinci code believers.
I was at walmart and this butchy female tells me how great and true this book is. I said it wasn't based on fact and distorts the truth. She said that she was an episcopal priest and that she knows it to be fact and I should not question here on this because she was a priest.

Oh, the deception of the devil.
how does God deal with such fools and liberals???
 
Originally posted by bigheavyq
davinci code believers.
I was at walmart and this butchy female tells me how great and true this book is. I said it wasn't based on fact and distorts the truth. She said that she was an episcopal priest and that she knows it to be fact and I should not question here on this because she was a priest.

Oh, the deception of the devil.
how does God deal with such fools and liberals???


Next time ask her if she should be called "priestess," it beign the female version of priest. THey always refuse to bite on that one.
 
I was thinking about this thread the other day ....

... and I realised that we've overlooked something pretty close at hand:

transubstantiation doctrine in the RCC. I mean, is this not a bizarre manipulation of John 6.53 and I Cor 11?

Literal eating and drinking of the Lord's body and blood in communion certainly ranks "up there" ....

dl
 
I have been exposed to a lot of heresies in my day, at the ripe young age of 30. Let's see, the top five list would probably be:

a) that God the Father, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus are manifestations of the one person, God the Father (i.e. modalism)

b) that man is the master of his own destiny (i.e. Arminianism)

c) that man is basically a good person (i.e. Pelagianism)

d) that everyone's path to God is equally valid (i.e. pluralism)

e) that only international students can qualify for scholarships (oops! how did that get there)
 
I just discovered a new one (for me at least). I had never really read Immanuel Kant's views on Christ until the past few days - what a dork. No wonder where all the liberals get that stuff from. Sorry if this is old news to many of you guys...
 
Originally posted by Cuirassier
I was thinking about this thread the other day ....

... and I realised that we've overlooked something pretty close at hand:

transubstantiation doctrine in the RCC. I mean, is this not a bizarre manipulation of John 6.53 and I Cor 11?

Literal eating and drinking of the Lord's body and blood in communion certainly ranks "up there" ....

dl
My mother and brothers are Eucharistic ministers in the RC Church. They're trained to watch people with the wafer and the wine to ensure that they don't leave the Church with it. Some Satanic cults will "sacrifice" the host in their ceremonies and we can't have that happen to the actual substance of Christ.

For the longest time the RCC witheld the elements from the congregation. They were afraid that the blood might be spilled or crumbs would be ingested by rats and we can't have pieces of Christ in rat's bellies.

Finally, while the "Host" is on the altar the entire congregation kneels. When the Host is removed then people are permitted to sit down. It's brought to the Sacistry where people can go a pray around pieces of Christ.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top