The Most Stupid Thread Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those fancy garters are fine for the hoitie-toitie crowd... but ya'll are overlooking the most obvious solution ... two words, gentlemen... DUCT TAPE!

This guy found a similar use for it when he decided to run a marathon wearing a pair of women's pumps... If it worked for him, I'm SURE it will help our brother's more run-of-the-mill hosiery dilemma :p

img.26956_t.jpg

Yet one more good use for duct tape!

Duct tape: Alabama Chrome boys, Alabama Chrome!

BobVigneault;

These are exactly what you need Bill. I just wouldn't recommend wearing them with shorts.

I guess it's showing our age, as I too knew what they were...and I agree DO NOT WEAR Them with SHORTS!!

Tourist actually come to Florida and wear such things with shorts, on the beach no less!! ACK!!!

23104038.jpg
[/quote]

Now were talking! Where's my John Deere honey? !

Bill,

We call those shirt garters, shirt stays in the military. It's what accounts for the shirt being form fitting on a Marine rather than an un-tucked look.

I wear the kind that you attach to the shirt and the socks but I hate wearing them and would not recommend them as a solution. I wear them only in uniforms that demand it.

The kind of calf high socks that you wear are probably the wrong kind. I have some that go up over the calf and have spandex in the socks so they literally grip your calf and squeeze on it. It actually makes for good blood flow and comfort throughout the day. I have had difficulty in recent years finding them again but recently found some X-armour socks in the uniform store that are like that.

I would go to a decent size shoe store and see if you can find socks like that. Every sock I wear ends up around my ankles except these kind and it drives me nuts.

Vic, leave it to you to be the voice of reason. I am bit concerned at how quick Bob was in providing photos of those sock garters. It's as though he had them handy. I never thought of Bob as a man-bag type of guy, but you never know.

prada-man-bag.jpg

I think that guy is wearing stirrup pants. :smug:

1448883_scaled_131x187.jpg
(Killing two birds with one stone, right, Rich & SemperFideles?)

I occasionally have the same problem. It's usually because I bought the wrong size shoes... Sometimes I do this, just because it makes life more interesting.

Incidentally, a demonstration of the benefits of shirt stays:

270126496_kCYVu-XL.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how much would it hurt if the clip holding your socks in place came undone? I could see that elastic snapping back up and causing some serious pain!

:eek:

This may not be the stupidest thread ever...but 41 posts on socks that won't keep from sliding under my heel has to be a first!

This may not be the stupidest thread ever...but 41 posts on socks that won't keep from sliding under my heel has to be a first!

:lol:

BTW. You might try a bit of duct tape inside the back of your shoe to eliminate the binding/rachet effect. I've done it on rubber Wellingtons to good effect.

Other than that, I have no more practical advice.

270126496_kCYVu-XL.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how much would it hurt if the clip holding your socks in place came undone? I could see that elastic snapping back up and causing some serious pain!

It doesn't really hurt. It's not like they're under tremendous tension. Sorry if looking good in uniform is new to you. I forgot you were in the Air Force. :p

I'd join the Marines for the uniform. Seriously. I'd suffer the island to look like a complete *insert word of choice here*. I'm too big though. Every Marine I've ever seen has been what I consider unnaturally thin. I'm huge. Not so much fat as just big. Big in the shoulders, wide waist, long arms and legs, big feet. Just big. Doesn't make for a very good runner, which is required. :p

In other news:

Rich, where can I get some shirt stays? I need some badly as I hate nothing more than my dress shirt becomming untucked as the day wears on. I checked my local menswear store and they dont have any man garters as were shown further back in the thread. I had a pair of shirt stays at one time, but they are now gone. :(

Incidentally, are those coreframs or did you spit shine? I do prefer spit shine. I spit shine all of my footwear.

I'd join the Marines for the uniform. Seriously. I'd suffer the island to look like a complete *insert word of choice here*. I'm too big though. Every Marine I've ever seen has been what I consider unnaturally thin. I'm huge. Not so much fat as just big. Big in the shoulders, wide waist, long arms and legs, big feet. Just big. Doesn't make for a very good runner, which is required. :p

In other news:

Rich, where can I get some shirt stays? I need some badly as I hate nothing more than my dress shirt becomming untucked as the day wears on. I checked my local menswear store and they dont have any man garters as were shown further back in the thread. I had a pair of shirt stays at one time, but they are now gone. :(

Incidentally, are those coreframs or did you spit shine? I do prefer spit shine. I spit shine all of my footwear.

Here's a place I found at Google by searching for buy shirt stays:

Buy Shirt Stays at Army Surplus World

Incidentally, for my entire career I've never used more than one per leg at a time (you can see there are four to a pack). I fasten them to the side of the shirt and then wrap around the back of the leg and fasten to the front of the sock and it does the trick.

The shoes are corframs. I used to spit shine but that was when I had the time for such things.

The Marines have the sharpest dress uniforms. My son Joshua Caleb wants to be a Marine.

Go figure.

Joshua and Caleb. Isreal's premier fighting men.

270126496_kCYVu-XL.jpg

It doesn't really hurt. It's not like they're under tremendous tension. Sorry if looking good in uniform is new to you. I forgot you were in the Air Force. :p

We were used to getting snide remarks from visiting Marines when I was in England. Then they would see our barracks: single occupancy rooms, maid service, television, semi-private baths, 24-hour "cooked to order" mess hall, pizza delivery to your room - and they would hate us all the more. It was a good life even if we didn't look killer in our Air Force blues.

:lol:

BTW. You might try a bit of duct tape inside the back of your shoe to eliminate the binding/rachet effect. I've done it on rubber Wellingtons to good effect.

Other than that, I have no more practical advice.

Vic, how about a class action lawsuit against Rockport? Here's your big opportunity! :lol:

BillyBrown002.jpg

August 1979 - Lackland AFB San Antonio, Texas. Not a full body shot, but I was still in basic training. They marched us in for the obligatory Air Force blues photo. My T.I. told us, "This is in case we kill you during basic training. We need proof you were here." :lol:

Did you ever start reading a thread on a forum just because the title intrigued you... then you couldn't stop until you finished.
I did.
It will knock your socks off !

I have heard that you get good results (and a quick snack!) if you will shine your shoes with a banana peel.

Victory!

I did it! I found a pair of socks that are close to being knee highs, but they work! They don't sag and I'm able to wear my Rockports with comfort and dignity. No more sagging socks. No more ankles showing through my dress pants. What a wonderful feeling!

I did it! I found a pair of socks that are close to being knee highs, but they work! They don't sag and I'm able to wear my Rockports with comfort and dignity. No more sagging socks. No more ankles showing through my dress pants. What a wonderful feeling!

Hurray! But I really wanted the duct tape to work. Buying new socks just seems like a concession. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back