Essential systematic theology works

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Calvin's Institutes
2. Robert Reymond
3. Berkhof
4. Charles Hodge
5. John Gill
6. Turretin
7. Shedd
 
I am surprised that Ames is not recommended more. I refer to him regularly. But then I much prefer succinct writers.
 
I am surprised that Ames is not recommended more. I refer to him regularly. But then I much prefer succinct writers.

Shame on you, Ken! If I were close enough, I'd whip you with an über-dense John Owen paragraph.
 
"No one's mentioning Berkhof?" Likewise, Louis Berkhof, is a most firm foundation foundation in Theology in conjuction with the Calvins "Institutes of the Christian religion", After one has wraped thier brain around that, one could move on to the 3 Volumes of "Systematic Theology"
by Charles Hodge.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

"No one's mentioning Berkhof?" Likewise, Louis Berkhof, is a most firm foundation in Theology in conjuction with the Calvins "Institutes of the Christian religion", After one has wraped thier brain around that, one could move on to the 3 Volumes of "Systematic Theology"
by Charles Hodge.
 
There there is an excellent sir recommended reading list for each locus of theology in reformed confessions harmonized edited by Beeke and Ferguson.
 
Boliver,
I noticed that about Hodge too. He does like his latin. Anyone found a trick or technique on how not to make the reading so choppy. Other than learn Latin;~)

Edward N. Gross edited an abridged addition without the latin that you can get on Amazon. The only problem with it is that he tells you what he took out. So I find myself constantly being interested in what he is telling me he took out. So I end up refering to the original anyway. Just skip the latin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top