ESV or HCSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the CSB in family worship for a year and found it delightful. I like the continuity in phrasing the ESV has with some older translations but find I tend to prefer the NKJV if I'm going that route. I feel blessed to have such a plurality of good translations and I don't think either is going to be "better" than the other, there are very good things about both.

I am a member of a Facebook group, Everything BIbles, which Dr William D. 'Bill' Mounce joined. He graciously did a question/answer session a couple of weeks ago that was very informative.

One example of an answer to a great question is here; "First, I did not think the TNIV was a good translation in its handling of gender language. I signed the original protest against it. And I would not compare it to the NIV today; too different. I think the NIV/CSB/NET Bibles are the best for general reading because they are more understandable, and when you are listening to the text (as opposed to reading slowly), people don’t have time to process the meaning of the words as they would need to with the more formal equivalent translations. I read out of the NIV, read the NLT if I am not sure what something means (especially in the Old Testament), and the CSB for a new look at the text."

I find it really interesting, and for some reason encouraging, that a PHD professor in Biblical languages finds it useful to read various English translations.

At the link below anyone interested can access the whole session by expanding the 'comments'.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/everything.bibles/search/?query=Bill%20Mounce&epa=SEARCH_BOX

I am a member of a Facebook group, Everything BIbles, which Dr William D. 'Bill' Mounce joined. He graciously did a question/answer session a couple of weeks ago that was very informative.

One example of an answer to a great question is here; "First, I did not think the TNIV was a good translation in its handling of gender language. I signed the original protest against it. And I would not compare it to the NIV today; too different. I think the NIV/CSB/NET Bibles are the best for general reading because they are more understandable, and when you are listening to the text (as opposed to reading slowly), people don’t have time to process the meaning of the words as they would need to with the more formal equivalent translations. I read out of the NIV, read the NLT if I am not sure what something means (especially in the Old Testament), and the CSB for a new look at the text."

I find it really interesting, and for some reason encouraging, that a PHD professor in Biblical languages finds it useful to read various English translations.

At the link below anyone interested can access the whole session by expanding the 'comments'.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/everything.bibles/search/?query=Bill%20Mounce&epa=SEARCH_BOX
I have always used the formal versions such as Bad and Esv, and did not have to run to a dictionary!

Well my new CSB came in the mail not too long ago :) Thought to try it out going through the book of Matthew. Look forward to it and God's blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back