Pilgrim
Puritanboard Commissioner
Have any of you who have the ESV Study Bible had problems with the binding? I was just looking at the Amazon reviews and there are several reviews that contained complaints about the quality of the binding. I saw complaints about the hardcover as well as the calfskin, as well an opinion that the "genuine leather" cover wasn't up to par. I bought a hardcover ESV Classic Reference Bible in 2002 not long after it was released but the binding started coming apart not long after I bought it, and this after not much use. I had understood that Crossway had largely overcome this issue but apparently there are still some problems, at least with the Study Bible.

I just LOVE this Bible,and I would recommend it to everyone,however,I did have a problem with the Hardback edition,I wish I could describe it better,but basically the paper liner which was glued to the cardbord cover and the spine of the book itself started to tear away exposing the mesh on the spine and making the whole thing very loose.my concern is that this Bible is so heavy that this may happen again as there isnt any reinforcement to this area of the book,the spine being smyth-sewn, could withstand almost anything, it is so solid,but the weak point was not that but the paper lining/cardboard,Crossway was fantastic as expected and sent me a brand new one to repalce that one and I chose to upgrade to the genuine leather edition which seems very durable esp. the leather itself which seems to be a pigskin type leather not very soft but very tough,great for me as I plan to use this Bible daily.I noticed the Calfskin edition has some sort of reinforcement like a strip of some sort of material right where the Bible creases inside.I sorry I'm not able to explain as well as I'd like,But let me just say this Bible is of an extremely fine quality and I would recommend it but I do have concern about the hardback and I believe that appies to any hardback Bible esp. one this massive go for the truetone if you want to try it out and save a few bucks