Evangelicalism's Greatest Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken,

Another problem is that we are such suckers for fads. Rather than stepping back and seeing the big picture within its historical sweep, we ping pong from one fad to another. During my ministry, I can unfortunately count the eras by my faddish emphases. Being out of the pastorate for 11 years now has given me a little distance to observe the slavish copycat traits of most mainstream evangelicals I knew during my time in ministry. Watching the broad evangelical culture over several decades has seen pastors jump through the following hoops (at least some of them): Charismatic and non-charismatic renewal (60s-70s), small groups (early 70s onward), spiritual gifts (late 70s) theonomy or Lordship salvation (80s), seeker sensitive (90s), purpose driven (00s), emergent (00s) . . .

Can't we ever focus and keep the main thing the MAIN THING?

Confessionally reformed churches are not panaceas. Look at theonomy, the FV, and micro-Presbyterianism. However, I am increasingly convinced that a confessional boundary marker, while an imperfect fence, is better than no fence at all. Otherwise our egos will run amuck and our sinfully depraved minds will travel where they ought not to go.

So true!

I even know of one association that has promoted a speaker who claims to be a theologically conservative emergent church pastor. "He patterns his church after the "vintage" values of the original Christian church and teachings of Jesus - at the same time moving forward to what it means to be Church in a very different culture today." Perhaps this man will spearhead the neo-emergent church movement!

...Perhaps this man will spearhead the neo-emergent church movement!
:lol:

Then the Revised American Neo-Emerging Congregations of American. Eventually they will all truly wonder why on earth they are gathering on Sundays in lieu of just sitting at home and learning the same thing.

Would Robert Schuller identify as an "evangelical"? I saw an interview with him in a documentary I watched on Monday where I got the impression that he wouldn't. And would Mike Horton identify as an "evangelical"?

I thought that was a good analysis. It is ironic, but the neo-evangelicals did wind up fulfilling the predictions of the fundamentalists.

I agree. I don't think Horton would like the label...:think:

Todd Freil of "The Way of the Master Radio" has high objections to being called evangelical because of what Dr. McFadden has illustrated. He will not take the title even though he is a street witnessing, street preaching, tract-distributing evangelizing dude.
He routinely has the evangelicals on quoting them to show the errors of this "modern" thinking. Usually, 98% of the time I agree with him.

I agree with Mr. Steve and py3ak that Mr. Horton should not have evangelical tied to him.

Confessionally reformed churches are not panaceas. Look at theonomy, the FV, and micro-Presbyterianism. However, I am increasingly convinced that a confessional boundary marker, while an imperfect fence, is better than no fence at all. Otherwise our egos will run amuck and our sinfully depraved minds will travel where they ought not to go.

Great quote.

I don't know how I've missed this thread. But, Mr. McFadden, you have done a good job. Someone asked the question is God blinding this nation. I would say, 'Yes'. And, he is beginning at the household of God. I've been saying this has been happening for years. It breaks my heart when I see how shallow and immature even 'leaders' are in the church. We have become a church that is easily blown about by every wind and wave of doctrine, fad, whatever. I say, 'We', because many of these folks are our brothers and sisters. Certainly not all, but some.

Do we weep over this or do we gloat? Too often I've seen Reformed/Confessional folks gloat over their 'superior' position of understanding. I think the Lord would find this nauseating. Jesus mourned over the sheep having no shepherds. I pray that we will do the same.

Do we weep over this or do we gloat? Too often I've seen Reformed/Confessional folks gloat over their 'superior' position of understanding. I think the Lord would find this nauseating. Jesus mourned over the sheep having no shepherds. I pray that we will do the same.

I have been trying to listen to some sermons by a notable preacher for the last two days but am struggling with his constant belittling of those who are 'less knowledgeable' or 'less accurate'. I can only imagine how arrogant his congregation is becoming.

I have been trying to listen to some sermons by a notable preacher for the last two days but am struggling with his constant belittling of those who are 'less knowledgeable' or 'less accurate'. I can only imagine how arrogant his congregation is becoming.

Who is it...Who is it!!!!? Tell me, tell me!?:bouncy: I will stick with the Paul Washer sermons I am listening to right now.

Mr. McFadden, what was the trigger to write this article, for you, I mean because I think most people on this board could write one of these a day with what we are seeing in Christendom. :)

Quite simply, the Weekly Standard review of the Warren Civil Panel. When a secular magazine objects that a preacher has lost the Gospel, WOW!!!

Plus, it triggered an ephiphany for me as to a number of issues that have been bouncing around in my head for some time. Somehow, the article's observations about Warren were the key to open it up for me.

I'm half inclined to call myself a Fundamentalist lately, but I don't because it will invariably be misunderstood by people on all sides. I'm not fundy enough for many of the fundies, but I'm a lot more fundy than most evangelicals. (FYI, everyone on this board is considered a fundy by liberals and so called "moderates".) Actually, the separatism of the OPC is one thing that drew me to it. I knew they wouldn't get involved in something like ECT or other neo-evangelical sins.

I have noticed the same thing and would love to start a new thread on it, but I'll probably get flack for dissing the Reformed, when actually the sins of those you love the most are the most odious.

I just stopped listening to another pastor's sermons because of this very thing too. The dripping sarcasm and negativity is grating on me... when I listen to him I know what the Gospel IS NOT but sometimes I cannot tell what his Gospel IS.

I don't mind sarcasm and polemics in themselves. I mind them when they are the only thing a person has to offer, or when the preaching is always about sins that other people are committing. It requires no courage to preach against other people's sins.

I don't mind sarcasm and polemics in themselves. I mind them when they are the only thing a person has to offer, or when the preaching is always about sins that other people are committing. It requires no courage to preach against other people's sins.

Our pastor recently related a story from a previous pastorate of his. Someone in the church (it may have been a deacon) told him "Pastor, you preach too much on sin in the church when you should be preaching about sin in the world."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back