Ezekiel reference question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to track down a reference in a sermon on Ezekiel 43:11 by George Gillespie which has me stumped. Latin experts and scholars please weigh in. Gillespie is refering to those who believe the Temple in the vision is the temple of Solomon and he references the following:
J. Bapista Villalpandus, Explan. Ezek., tom. 2, part. 2, lib. 1. Isag., cap. 9., 12, 13. Corn. à Lapide in Ezek. 40.
I have no problem citing the Villapando or the à Lapide. The middle reference has me stumped. In the original sermon Isag is in italics which according to the rest of the note would mean it is an author's name. However I am wondering if it is short for Isagoge, in which case it might mean an "introdution" in the previous work by Villapandus, or even maybe a reference to the early Introduciton to Scripture by Arianus which was first published in 1602 edited by David Hoschel (Augustae Vindobonae, Typis Ioannis Praetoij, 1602). That work titled: Adriani Isagoge in Sacram Scripturam Graece cum Scholiis
Or is there some author I'm missing whose name starts with "Isag" who commented on Ezekiel? Any and all help much appreciated.

Chris, is this a possibility?

ANDREAS RIVETUS, Isagoge ad scripturam saeram Veteris et Novi Testamenti (Dort, 1616).

Thanks Matthew; yes; I've thought that too as I've been digging; it's as good as any at this point, but I think it may come down to finding something with at least 9 chapters and 13 sections, and is known by "Isagoge". Unless the abbreviation was some person's name who commented on Ezekiel? I'm sure the reference was clear in 1644, but sure is not clear to me at this time and place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back